»
Topic: Please let this model succeed (pay for play)
Replies: 4   Last Post: Mar 4, 2021, 6:00 PM by: 76er®
[ Tiger Boards - Pros & Other ]
Start New Topic
Replies: 4  

Please let this model succeed (pay for play)

Posted: Mar 4, 2021, 1:03 PM

I don't agree with everything in this approach, but I would love to the top high school players (who don't want to be student athletes) have an opportunity to get paid. The NCAA should not be at fault for a problem the pro leagues created with age restrictions. European soccer teams and other sports pay young kids all over the world and develop their talent. Why do American sports get a pass to use the University system.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31002105/over-elite-pro-basketball-league-launching-september-compensate-high-school-aged-players

link

null

Re: Please let this model succeed (pay for play)

[1]
Posted: Mar 4, 2021, 1:21 PM

Bad idea. This basically will have thousands of kids who think they are good at basketball not focusing on high school education and spending all their time chasing $$. Then when they don’t make it through high school and can’t get into college. They will blame the system and live off tax payer money or turn to life of crime and either end up dead or in prison.

2021 white level member link

[1]
Posted: Mar 4, 2021, 1:46 PM

yeah I see this cutting into the talent pool of the type of players we might get moreso than the obvious one and dones than NC and Duke would pay to get

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg link

[2]
Posted: Mar 4, 2021, 4:17 PM

I am sure the people at OTE know more than me and did their research, but I just don't understand the market for this, especially at such high expense numbers. 32 players, $100,000 minimum salary. That creates 4 teams of 8 people with a minimum 3.2 million dollar annual payroll. That is without coaches salaries, pro-caliber trainers, court rentals, and all the other things they feel high school 'doesn't offer'. The Australian league's minimum is $42,500, and it's the only product in the country. Who would actually watch the same 4 teams play and complete in a season?

2021 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg link

Pay for Play is the world's oldest profession.

Posted: Mar 4, 2021, 6:00 PM

It is probably managed better than the NCAA will manage this. :(

2021 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg link

Replies: 4  
[ Tiger Boards - Pros & Other ]
Start New Topic
1364 people have read this post