Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Playoff Scenarios
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Playoff Scenarios

Sep 24, 2018, 1:08 PM

I made this point earlier today and someone disagreed so I decided to post this and get the conversation going separately from the TL & KB debate.

We already know the committee will select two SEC teams for the playoff if they possibly can. A close loss by an undefeated UGA team to Bama in the SECCG will put them both in.

Notre Dame has been playing fairly well and will have a resume builder when they play Stanford at home this weekend. Not saying I am sold on ND just yet but an undefeated ND will NOT get left out of the playoff. They are just too big of a draw IMO.

That would leave a single playoff spot for the ACC, Big 10, and Big 12.

The eye test is going to be important for Clemson the remainder of this year. Based on what I have seen it appears we will play Duke or Miami in the ACCCG after we beat the coots by 40. Miami would give us a win against a ranked opponent, but one that was beaten soundly early in the year by LSU and simply does not play well in big games. A win over Duke.......

TL taking over needs to lead to big things from our offense and our defense must improve in some areas and dominate. We must win and win convincingly to ensure Jim Mora continues to look stupid for leaving us out of his playoff list.

My opinion we can't beat other playoff worthy teams without TL and we do not get into the playoff with TL really getting the offense going.

Thoughts?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Alabama vs Kentucky in Atlanta for the SECCG

Sep 24, 2018, 1:11 PM

HTH

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

If we go undefeated we are in no matter what.***

Sep 24, 2018, 1:11 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Re: If we go undefeated we are in no matter what.***

Sep 24, 2018, 1:21 PM

I am not convinced the ACC has a free ride into the playoff this year. I do believe if we are undefeated we are in but if we lose a game we are in trouble.

The ACC has looked terrible in a lot of games. Va Tech and BC really did the league no favors this weekend.

A lot of football to be played but December 2nd is going to be interesting if Clemson, Bama, Oklahoma, Ohio State, UGA, ND or some other team like Penn State is undefeated.

We have to win every game convincingly!

Re: If we go undefeated we are in no matter what.***

Sep 24, 2018, 1:22 PM

Obviously Bama and UGA will not both be undefeated on Dec 2nd but you catch my drift.

If we lose a game to anybody in the league this year we

Sep 24, 2018, 1:41 PM [ in reply to Re: If we go undefeated we are in no matter what.*** ]

don't need to be in the playoffs.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

If 4 of the 5 P5 champs are undefeated...

Sep 24, 2018, 2:10 PM [ in reply to Re: If we go undefeated we are in no matter what.*** ]

Along with ND, then they aren’t taking 2 SEC teams. It’s just not going to happen

Re: Playoff Scenarios

Sep 24, 2018, 1:47 PM

I agree on the point 'THEY' would love a bammer vs domer' match for all the marbles. I still think we win , we in. A ton of football to play.

Some of our ACC brethren may continue to win and eventually give the conference some respectability back. Just because the preseason picks to compete for the ACC have fallen flat, doesn't mean we don't have good teams. Syracuse could well end with one loss ( to us), the 'used to-u' could slowly climb.

Sep 24, 2018, 1:54 PM

No shot that all those teams are undefeated at the end of the season. There has never been more than 1 undefeated CFP team since it started in 2014 and the 'what if' conversation starts around this time every season. This is football and teams will have unexpected losses. If we win out we are in. If we drop a game this year I don't think we will have enough quality wins to get in over some of the other teams because of our schedule this year unfortunately

Sep 24, 2018, 1:53 PM

I do not think the loser of the SEC championship game gets in. The only way two teams from a conference get in is similar to last years scenario. The winner of the Championship game and the team that go left out of the championship game (with only 1 loss). Just my 2 cents.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 24, 2018, 1:54 PM

I don't really agree with the thought that the selection committee wants 2 SEC teams. Last year was the first time it's happened, and people always seem to overlook that the only options other than Bama were a 2 loss Ohio State team, a one loss Wisconsin team that also didn't win its conference, a 2 loss USC team, or an unbeaten UCF team from a non power 5 conference.

Not only did Ohio State have 2 losses, but they lost at home 31-16 to Oklahoma who was in the playoffs, and 55-24 to an Iowa team that finished 8-5. The other power 5 conference winner with 2 losses was USC who got destroyed 49-14 by ND. The committee didn't put in Bama because they wanted 2 SEC teams, they put them in because they were one of the best 4 teams, and because they had nobody better to put in over Bama. I never got why so many seemed to be outraged over a 2 loss team being left out, especially with both of those 2 loss teams got blown out by 30+ points. If Wisconsin had beaten Ohio State last year they would've gotten in over Bama.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic