Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Pittsburgh In The ACC Championship Game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Pittsburgh In The ACC Championship Game

Nov 16, 2018, 9:26 AM

Normally, I would not enjoy playing against a team for the ACC title with a 4-5 loss record. (That is why I am against divisional play but that's a different topic). This year is a little different as we have a chance to take care of a team that we have never defeated and also get a little payback from last year.

I am actually looking forward to this game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Payback from 2016

Nov 16, 2018, 9:28 AM

But I agree...POUND PITT

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Payback for 1977 Gator Bowl

Nov 16, 2018, 9:35 AM

It was UGLY!!!!

Drizzling rain, foggy, 35 degrees and the longest halftime in college bowl game history.

Every high school band in Florida, Georgia and SC marched onto the field - one person at a time!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Nov 16, 2018, 9:38 AM

I was there for that beat down by Pitt and Matt Cavanaugh as well as freezing my but off!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was at that game...

Nov 16, 2018, 9:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Payback for 1977 Gator Bowl ]

I was 14 years old.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Nov 16, 2018, 10:42 AM [ in reply to Re: Payback for 1977 Gator Bowl ]

I'm laughing at what you said, but I feel for you suffering through the nasty weather bc I have been there and done that, and it ain't fun by no means, and especially when we lose the game also.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2018, 1:55 PM

Suffered through that one with the worst tailgate i have ever had... Then went to the 1978 Peach Bowl in a game that i STILL cannot believe that it did not snow.. Mike Singletary with those demon pin-ball eyes wreaked havoc on Billy Lott and some guy named Moneytree DE was in our huddle it seemed...And i went to the concession stand and got 2 of the biggest beers i have ever bought. Went back to the seat and the guy next to me said.."I'll swap you one of my half pint Jim Beams for one of your beers. We did..(PS...don't do that)... My brother was my designated driver, thank God. Got back to my apartment and the wife had gone to a New Years party and i proceeded to lock her out and go to bed...We are still married after 38 years but it was THIIIIS close to being only 6 months...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The 2016 Pitt game did two things...

Nov 16, 2018, 9:32 AM

1 - It demonstrated how grossly incompetent and crooked ACC officials can be, and

2 - It completely refocused and reenergized the team for the 2016 playoff and national championship run.

In hindsight, that loss may have been for the best.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, AND . . .

Nov 16, 2018, 11:41 AM

It also demonstrated how grossly incompetent ACC officials can be. Okay, you already said that, but it bears repeating.

Oh, and it also showed - much as I love Dabo, how boneheaded he can be about playing conservative when necessary. If we had kept the ball on the ground when we were up by 11 with the ball at the Pitt 3 (and I mean absolutely PROHIBITING any throwing - no pass calls, no pass options), then the worse case scenario is that we would have been up by 11 with 5 minutes or less left, rather than Pitt returning the ball 70 yds with 5 & 1/2 minutes left while we were still up only 8. That idiot risk that Dabo and the OC's signed off on (which is typical of them), cost us the game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I mean 8, not 11. We were up by 8, and could have been 11

Nov 16, 2018, 11:42 AM

at a minimum, 11, if we'd had to kick the FG b/c we couldn't punch it in on the ground. Plus time would have come off the clock.

I have no problem with that, but unfortunately.........

Nov 16, 2018, 9:36 AM

a lot of us tiger fans live here in central florida amongst irrational UCF fans that think and advertise that they won the national championship last year. The stores are filled with national championship merchandise as well as their stadium. They will be the first to point out that they’ve already beat Pitt this yeat like 45-10. They are becoming our Coots which is pretty bad when you consider that we usually have gators and semi-holes to deal with.

UCF = tallest midget...

Nov 16, 2018, 9:38 AM

Their inferiority complex is palpable.

Hey...Bama claims several mythical National Championship they never actually won so I guess it's OK if UCF claims one.

Re: I have no problem with that, but unfortunately.........

Nov 16, 2018, 11:06 AM [ in reply to I have no problem with that, but unfortunately......... ]

Just tell the UCF-ers that they are the NIT champs.

On one hand, I think it would be nice for them to get a shot but at the same time... but at the same time, they really are not a elite team. A top 15 team could legitimately be 1-2 against other top 10 teams (see Clemson 2014). They are kinda like NC State before they played us, you are not really sure what happens if they run up against elite talent. Their best win being *Pitt* and at best 7-5 team, maybe a sub .500 team by the end of the ACCCG. That is not going to be the something that propels you into the top 5. You can't just win one, you need to win many unless you have that legacy "Bama, Mich" name behind you.

If they are elite, they need to start scheduling elite programs. Not the UNC/Pitts middle/bottom dwellers of the power 5, the big ones with a tradition of winning. Stanford is a decent start... What they need to do is show they can perform against the major programs multiple times. They can't afford to schedule SCState or Florida A&M. They need to be trying to get out of the future UNC, GT, Pitt and find someone better with an open date.

Eh, slow down there . . .

Nov 16, 2018, 11:58 AM

I also don't take UCF's nat'l title claim seriously, but be careful of the arguments you use. The argument of "well, schedule better competition," is a bit of a tricky thing that give them a rhetorical escape hatch, they'll respond that they can't simply schedule who they want as if college schedule is a video game where you have unilateral choice. If elite schools don't want the lose-loe situation of playing a good Group of Five team, then they won't schedule it. It's not entirely UCF's choice. They could try to schedule a bunch of elite schools to make up for their weak conference schedule, and might not get any that are willing to sign on. And technically, that argument might be true. It doesn't justify their argument, of course, but it's true as far as it goes.

But I say their argument on this doesn't matter, b/c at the end of the day, you rank teams based on the merits, and there are no on-field merits that can be attributed to what a team *tried* to do with their scheduling. If UCF tries to schedule Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, and Georgia, for non-conf, and they all say no, so they then try Notre Dame, LSU, OU, and so forth, and on down the line, and they all say no, then you can't simply give them "phantom credit" for beating elite teams when they didn't beat them. You can't give them credit on their resume for things they didn't actually do. Some will say "but it's not their fault." True enough, but neither is it the fault of the other teams they are being compared to for rankings. If hypothetically, in the future, UCF were being compared to Team X for the 4th spot in the playoff, and Team X had a better resume, but we decided that UCF would have had a better resume if OU and UGA and Alabama and ND agreed to play them, and we reason that "it wasn't UCF's fault those teams didn't agree," then, does that mean we treat UCF as if they played the 5th hardest schedule when in fact they played the 85th hardest? If we do this, is this an accurate accounting of what UCF actually did? No. And would it be fair to Team X, who lets say, played the 22nd hardest schedule? No. So the whole bit about who's "fault" it is is a red herring.

Re: Pittsburgh In The ACC Championship Game

Nov 16, 2018, 9:40 AM

Pitt beating us in 2016 was the BEST thing that could have happened to us. Look forward to possibly playing them in Charlotte. They have to beat wake Saturday though.

Nov 16, 2018, 10:00 AM

We've never beaten Pitt. This will be a great opportunity to change that

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2018, 11:11 AM

I thought Pitt had already clinched the Coastal. but saw yesterday they had to beat Wake this week to clinch.

Nov 16, 2018, 11:43 AM

I was there with a blind date from St. Augustine....Awful date and game.....

Nov 16, 2018, 12:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Pittsburgh In The ACC Championship Game ]

Nope. Pitt is 5-1 in conference with two games to play. If they lose both, they're 5-3. UVA is currently 4-2 also with two games to play. If they win both, they'll be 6-2 and win the division even though they lost to Pitt. If Pitt splits their two games and UVA wins both, both would be 6-2 but Pitt has tiebreak of head-to-head win over UVA.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2018, 12:31 PM

I can hear the game announcers now saying at least 50 times during the game that Clemson has never beaten Pitt. By halftime I will want to puke from hearing it. Count on it, they will consistently say it. GO TIGERS AND BEAT THE LIVING HE77 OUT OF THEM.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

hope you got your tickets

Nov 16, 2018, 2:00 PM

my in laws got hosed

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Purchased mine back in August

Nov 16, 2018, 2:01 PM

Got them in the mail yesterday.

I orderd 8, my sister in law ordered 8, my bro in law ordered 8, 10 mins after

Nov 16, 2018, 2:13 PM

they went on sell. we ordered all at the same tme and asked to ne near each other. dude said no problem.

I got mine. . they got hosed. which sucks cause I was counting on 1 of their tickets. guess 1 of my kids will have to stay in thee hotel.

I'll give them the stupid acc hat though.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

August? Are you a wizard? How did you know?***

Nov 16, 2018, 2:24 PM [ in reply to Purchased mine back in August ]

bojangles / chic fili

Nov 16, 2018, 3:06 PM

always has a acc deal in charlotte.

4 tickets, 4 $5 Boganles gift cards and 4 hats for like $150.

so at worst I would have to eat 4 $32 tickets..

I'd prob resell for at worse $20 per so I'd lose $50 . $50 was worth the risk.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic