Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Pass rush and running game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 810

Pass rush and running game

Oct 21, 2018, 10:07 AM

Great win
But, in order to beat the elephant in the room - we need to improve a couple of areas.

Running game
While nc state is probably above average on the d line, they are no Bama. We could not get any holes to run thru. For ETN to only get 39 yards is not going to get it done. Difficult to become one dimensional (see Ohio state) and win games. I am no coach, nor did I stay at a holiday inn last night - but I would like to see them try a few full-back sets where a lead blocker gets in front of tail-backs.
Our rushing averages are good, but run up on weaker opponents. I did not expect 300 yards on the ground against state, but a solid 150 - 200 would have been nice.

Pass rush
I know Finley gets the ball out quickly. And , I saw the sack on the first possession. But after that, we really did not get to him. Not getting pressure with 3 or 4 - I thought we might be getting. Many of the blitzes hurried but nobody came clean. Quite a few tackles for loss, but the sacks are not there. Not sure why this is the case. Not seeing Lawrence getting sacks, Austin has gone a bit cold.
Definately cannot let tua sit back there and pick us apart like he does to everyone else.

Very pleased with the dbacks. Other than a couple of fortunate drops, they played solid and without penalty.

Not complaining, just thinking of the beast at the end of the line.

JMO anyway.

Go Tigers!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just about any top 40-ish team can shut down any other

Oct 21, 2018, 11:18 AM

team's run game if they want to, including ours. The problem is, if the other team has a good passing game, there is a price to be paid. That's exactly what happened yesterday. NCST shut down our running game, which allowed TL and our talented bunch of WRs to have a field day against their D. Very few, if any, teams can line up and run it right down the throats of another decent team that is committed to stopping them. As for Finley, I thought he knew the pressure was coming, and dealt with that by getting rid of the ball not only before the rush arrived, but also before his receivers had been able to gain separation or otherwise get open.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Just about any top 40-ish team can shut down any other

Oct 21, 2018, 10:58 AM

team's run game if they want to, including ours. The problem is, if the other team has a good passing game, there is a price to be paid. That's exactly what happened yesterday. NCST shut down our running game, which allowed TL and our talented bunch of WRs to have a field day against their D. Very few, if any, teams can line up and run it right down the throats of another decent team that is committed to stopping them. As for Finley, I thought he knew the pressure was coming, and dealt with that by getting rid of the ball not only before the rush arrived, but also before his receivers had been able to gain separation or otherwise get open.

I agree, I think Finley was rattled w/o having to be sacked much.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pass rush and running game

Oct 21, 2018, 10:52 AM

If Bama wants to stack the box we will throw for 300 on them too. We ran the ball inside the 5 when we needed to score.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 3
| visibility 810
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic