Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Parker signs with Rockies for $1.4 million
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Aug 17, 2010, 12:37 AM

Clemson quarterback Kyle Parker signed with Major League Baseball's Colorado Rockies, the team that made him a first round pick in June, for $1.4 million late Monday night according to Baseball America. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger board beat ya. :-)

Aug 17, 2010, 12:41 AM

nm

Message was edited by: Wilsontiger06®

So Parker turned down $2.4M and held out for $1.4M? What?

Aug 17, 2010, 1:04 AM

I don't get it. The reports around KP's self-imposed July signing deadline were that KP turned down about $2.4M because the Parker's demanded that the Rockies to pay KP $3M to quit football. Now KP signed for $1.4M? It seems that the new contract must either give KP the ability to play football for the next 3 years (and enter the NFL draft) or the Parkers just completely blew the negotiation by overplaying their hand, and the Rockies stung them in their hour of desperation. (Now that's hardball, so to speak.) Anybody know what happened and what the deal is?

Shocked myself. I'm thinking to take that little money he

Aug 17, 2010, 2:12 AM

must of reserved the right to play football for at lest 2 more years. He could get that kind of money as a second or 3rd round pick in next year's draft. Clearly there is a lot more to this story.

Stop all the speculation. Here's the real deal...

Aug 17, 2010, 7:56 AM [ in reply to So Parker turned down $2.4M and held out for $1.4M? What? ]

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2010/aug/17/rockies-deal-allows-parker-play-football/

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

This explains every thing

Aug 17, 2010, 10:50 AM

Thanks for posting the link.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's what I predicted. Weeks ago actually. And what I

Aug 17, 2010, 12:41 PM [ in reply to Stop all the speculation. Here's the real deal... ]

wrote last night. It was obvious given the low signing bonus.

He was never guaranteed 2.4 M. So he didn't give up

Aug 17, 2010, 8:23 PM [ in reply to So Parker turned down $2.4M and held out for $1.4M? What? ]

anything, not even his freedom or choice to play football or any sport.

So basically, Kyle paid like 1.5-2M bucks to play football***

Aug 17, 2010, 7:05 AM

Re: So basically, Kyle paid like 1.5-2M bucks to play football***

Aug 17, 2010, 7:19 AM

Yep! The love of Clemson is something that a lot of outsiders will never understand.

Aug 17, 2010, 7:51 AM

I doubt that they would have paid Parker 3mil to sign under any circumstances so I don't think football cost him quite that much money does anyone know what the 25th and 27th pick got that would tell the story as to how much football cost him or maybe even what football for 2yrs might cost him although I think this contract is for Parker to play baseball fulltime after this season. Time will tell I imagine there are some poison pills and escape clauses in there as well. It will interesting to find out the details but no matter what we have him for this year and Tajh can get one more year to get ready. I think if KP played out his college career that we would lose TB not saying that is a bad thing but just saying.

Unless you are a chick, you have the worst handle ever***

Aug 17, 2010, 8:22 AM

Aug 17, 2010, 8:28 AM [ in reply to Re: So basically, Kyle paid like 1.5-2M bucks to play football*** ]

Here is the break down. He is still making 200,000 more than the estimate so he did get a good deal.

http://www.mymlbdraft.com/2010-mlb-draft-signings-and-bonuses/

null

he paid 800K...... ***

Aug 17, 2010, 8:46 AM [ in reply to So basically, Kyle paid like 1.5-2M bucks to play football*** ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So,now hes signed...what does that mean to CU???

Aug 17, 2010, 8:06 PM

no more CU baseball for Parker. Still has 3 yrs of football

Aug 17, 2010, 8:29 PM

If he wants to play 2 more after this year, he can although he would likely have to give some of his money back to the Rockies.

If he has a good year in football this year, he could come back next year and see if NFL would draft him as a redshirt Junior.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wouldn't he be eligible for NFL draft after this year?***

Aug 17, 2010, 8:43 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, but it's a deep QB class, & Parker has a VERY slim shot

Aug 18, 2010, 1:36 PM

According to news sources close to the Rockies, Parker would have to give up almost half of his $1.4M if he plays football in the 2011 season. Ouch! Of course it's a risk-reward gamble (of getting drafted by the NFL) and you have to factor in love of football versus baseball versus money. But from a strict financial standpoint, I'd say that Parker's parents blew the negotation. He should have taken the $2.25M that the Rockies offered him in July to play baseball exclusively.
As a 6' QB, Parker is highly unlikely to get drafted by the NFL-- let alone as a redshirt sophmore or junior. Over the last 4 years and 50 QBs drafted, only 2 QBs under 6'2" were drafted to play QB. (Though 2 more were drafted to play WR.) Both of those QBs were stellar SENIORS who played on prominent, national championship teams: Colt McCoy 6'1" senior and all-time-winningest college QB (3rd round), and 6' Heisman winner, Troy Smith (5th round). So the chances are awfully small that Parker will get drafted as a sophmore (or junior) from a team like Clemson, with no truly proven receivers. He'd pretty much have to turn in a Heisman performance. It's possible, just highly unlikely.

Right or wrong, and despite an occassional short-NFL-QB success story, like 6' Drew Brees, the NFL values height. So they draft guys like 6'3" Keith Null of West Texas A&M (who? where?), over shorter stars like 6' 1" senior Chase Daniel, who went undrafted and landed on an NFL practice squad for $91k/yr, despite his brilliant college career at Missouri.

I sincerely hope that I'm wrong and that Parker wins a Heisman, gets drafted by the NFL, and makes gobs of money.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic