Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Pac-12 players' manifesto (brace yourselves)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Pac-12 players' manifesto (brace yourselves)

Aug 2, 2020, 6:25 PM

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/pac-12-players-covid-19-statement-football-season

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Hate it, but getting close to being done with sports.***

Aug 2, 2020, 6:36 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hate it, but getting close to being done with sports.***

Aug 2, 2020, 6:43 PM

This is no longer a student-athlete situation. It's pro sports. If college sports devolves into this, I'm out as well.

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

It's been a professional sport for a couple decades now

Aug 3, 2020, 9:24 AM

It's really just been under the guise of "amateurism" while nothing about it has been amateur aside from the athletes. It's certainly not amateur for the D1 coaches, schools, or fans that live and die with the results.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 2, 2020, 7:36 PM [ in reply to Hate it, but getting close to being done with sports.*** ]

I’ve always been a huge sports fan, I’ve steadily lost interest in pro sports and now am completely done. All I have left is college, and it’s getting really really close........

The fan base that is left is totally different, It’s more casual, more into for the social aspect. The guys like me who owned jersey and can recite stats and records are leaving in droves. It’s a freakin shame.

Aug 2, 2020, 7:54 PM [ in reply to Hate it, but getting close to being done with sports.*** ]

Maybe we can enjoy HS football for a couple of years until they all lawyer up and make inane demands on a daily basis.

Aug 2, 2020, 8:06 PM [ in reply to Hate it, but getting close to being done with sports.*** ]

Really no problem missing NBA and even the NFL (although I do care about former Clemson players and want them to do well). Gave up baseball this year and can live without that. But having to do away with college sports will be heartbreaking for me.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

College baseball is all that will be left. They are on

Aug 2, 2020, 9:02 PM

partial scholarships, so they all want to play for the love of the game.

Yep.***

Aug 3, 2020, 12:25 PM [ in reply to Hate it, but getting close to being done with sports.*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Proverbs 16:18

Hate it, but getting close to being done with sports.***

Aug 2, 2020, 6:36 PM

Re: Hate it, but getting close to being done with sports.

Aug 2, 2020, 8:51 PM

Me too but not hating it. Just tired of the whinning and bs about everythign

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If college football goes this route then I guess I'm

Aug 2, 2020, 6:47 PM

done with the game I truly love.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is it me or does this seem like it's got liberal

Aug 2, 2020, 7:30 PM

Union or lawyer all over it?

Too professional.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is it me or does this seem like it's got liberal

Aug 2, 2020, 7:55 PM

I would guess that lawyers are definitely involved.

--Henry David Thoreau

His name is Ramogi Huma and he has been pushing to unionize

Aug 2, 2020, 8:40 PM [ in reply to Is it me or does this seem like it's got liberal ]

college sports for quite some time. Seems he has found an opportunity in the current BLM/COVID-19 environment.

Since it is obvious that College athletic scholarships do nothing but exploit poor black kids and provide them nothing but bad outcomes, we must defund and get rid of all College sports in order to end the injustice. We must get rid of all athletic departments, athletic facilities, athletic scholarships and special athlete tutoring programs. Anything having to do with Athletics will no longer be acceptable on College campuses - it is a tool of the oppressor. Since there will no longer be any exploitative college sports programs providing scholarships, high school athletes seeking to go to college will now receive the same treatment as any other college applicant - from entrance requirements to figuring out how to pay for college. Perhaps these High School athletes will find the student loan industry far more fair and less exploitative than those formerly oppressive athletic scholarships... Yes I'm being sarcastic....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Car Wash Industry and Magazine Sales Business Will Get

Aug 3, 2020, 11:04 AM

Overflowed with job candidates if you remove 100,000 College Athletic scholarships across all sports.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pac-12 players' manifesto (brace yourselves)

Aug 2, 2020, 8:12 PM

Bless their hearts. Who were they before college FB got them notice by offering them the biggest tool of their entire life, a free college education, in trade for playing the game they claim to love!!! WOW, bless their little hearts, and hopefully the cruelty will end with a good college education, but you gotta play that game you claim you love so much, and I don't think that no one is making them play with the threat of losing their scholarships during a virus pandemic!!!

Message was edited by: allinallorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Does this apply to water polo and volleyball ??

Aug 2, 2020, 8:18 PM

I did not know the Pac-12 did football. Surfing, gymnastics yes.

Football not so much

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 2, 2020, 9:27 PM

This is intersectionality ideology playing itself out before our eyes... Break everyone down into their own group that is uniquely oppressed in some way and then demand that your group receive something from the oppressor to "make up for" the oppression. This is how you divide and destroy society. People of character need to speak up and speak out clearly against this. People in leadership need to have a backbone and not be afraid what the social media/media mob have to say.

^^^All true^^^ but if anyone thinks the PAC-12 is

Aug 2, 2020, 9:51 PM

going to stand up to the mob then I've got some ocean front property in Nebraska I'd like to sell you.

I fully expect the PAC-12 to cater to all the demands that are within their purview (some are out of the PAC-12's control) - probably by Friday of this coming week.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 2, 2020, 10:31 PM

I guess the fans have created this monster. We have made athletes to be gods, to be worshiped, and they can get away with almost anything short of rape or murder, (in some cases I believe they've even got away with that). They call the shots now. You bow to us or we won't play, and there won't be any fans in the stadiums.

I love college football. I dearly love Clemson, especially Clemson sports, so I'll wait to see how this is going to play out before I say I'm through, but I believe if the PAC 12 caves, it's the end of college football. All the other conferences will have to follow suit.

Maybe the NFL should have farm clubs, like MLB. Oh that's right, the NFL already has a farm league and it's college football, only unlike MLB, they don't pay a penny to maintain these farm clubs, the colleges foot the bills. Anyways, the players could just pass college by and go straight for the paycheck. Then the colleges can give the scholarships to kids that have enough vision to know the value of a college degree.

Maybe I'm not thinking in a rational way, but I don't want to see something die, that gives so many of us so much pleasure.

Aug 3, 2020, 9:16 AM

Exactly 232!!! I saw this coming years ago when fan appreciation got so big at just Clemson before we were winning as an elite team, and I could imagine how big it was for teams that were winning as elite back then. It was called fan appreciation day that turn into players feeling and believing am the all that, and I'm the man day... It was OK to take the kids to get the players to sign something for them, but it got to be overwhelming with way adults would rush up in front of the kids to get player autographs. And that is when college kids/players started feeling and believing they were all that, and they started speaking out more and more about what they expected from coaches, and then the transfer portal just open the gates of their demands. Fans and the NCAA are both responsible for the going on's with college players today!!! I'll get slammed with the TDs for saying this bc some just can't handle the truth, especially if they are the fans mentioned!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 3, 2020, 1:07 PM

Yup Allin, and don't get me wrong, I think we've got some good kids at Clemson. I believe that's the way Dabo recruits, high quality, high character, but look at some of the things that go on in sports. Look at Miami, Oklahoma under that great man of character Switzer, Oklahoma State under another rock of good character, Jimmy Johnson, and how many others out there. Some might remember when the Braves Andruw Jones was hit with a paternity suit. The judge, on the case, ripped the accuser up one side and down the other, saying she was only doing this for her own benefit, and because Jones was a well known athlete. He dismissed her complaint but not before he concluded by saying; We need Andruw Jones at center field this year, if we're going to make it back to the series. The guy actually said that in a court of law, in which he was presiding over.

And it goes all the way to the high school level. A good while ago, the local high school had a power house football team. I think at one time they were ranked as high as number five nationally. Well, some of the kids on that team decided to break into a man's house while he was away, and because they weren't the brightest bulbs in the box, they were caught. Everyone knew what happened, and knew who they were, but nothing ever happened. It just disappeared, swept under the rug of forgetfulness. A long time teacher at the school, finally resigned, (not retired), because she was told football players will pass her course regardless of whether they set foot in her class or not. She said I'll quit before I give something to football players, that other kids are working hard to achieve. There are a lot more stories like that, but you'd almost have to write a book to put them in.

We have taken accountability away from them. It doesn't matter what you do, as long as you help us win games. We'll still worship and adore you, and give you whatever you want, just keep on winning games for us.

By the way, do you still have your bike? I showed the picture to my grandson. He laughed and said; could you see me riding on that? I said yeah, but I can also see you mom and Nanna freaking out, because their boy was riding a motorcycle.

If the Pac-12 didn't play football...

Aug 3, 2020, 8:08 AM

would ANYONE really notice or care?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

stop threatening to be done with sports.. actually do it.

Aug 3, 2020, 9:48 AM

That's the way you counter this. pro leagues/universities will rethink all of this once the stadiums stay empty and people stop tuning in.

"I love this place, I've got a spot already picked out where I want 'em to put me when I die - up there on that ole hill near the stadium. I want to be there so I can hear all them people cheering my Tigers on Saturdays; then I won't have to go Heaven; I'll already be there."- Frank Howard

I've done it. Except for Clemson football. I actually am

Aug 3, 2020, 10:05 AM

amazed at how little sports is involved in my life now. Used to be college football, baseball, basketball, NFL and a little bit of MLB. Now I wouldn't even turn on the College Football championship game unless we are in it. I don't watch Clemson Basketball. Never thought I would say that.

I have not watched a single NFL game, MLB game, NBA game (was never my thing anyway) in a few years.

Even with Clemson football, there are games I just check in on the scores on my phone (cupcakes). Again, never thought that would happen.

I suspect once Dabo hangs it up, I will too. Not a big deal, except I have young children and thought this would be a great connecting point for us. But there are all sorts of connecting points out there, so I'm sure it's fine. Actually might be better to just not get them into it rather than get them into it and then walk away.

null

I will stick around for tiger baseball and

Aug 3, 2020, 10:59 AM

soccer and I actually enjoyed watching tiger softball.

"I love this place, I've got a spot already picked out where I want 'em to put me when I die - up there on that ole hill near the stadium. I want to be there so I can hear all them people cheering my Tigers on Saturdays; then I won't have to go Heaven; I'll already be there."- Frank Howard

The damage is done in the first three sentences.

Aug 3, 2020, 10:17 AM

"Because NCAA sports exploit college athletes physically, economically and academically, and also disproportionately harm Black college athletes, #WeAreUnited.

In rejecting the NCAA’s claim that #BlackLivesMatter while also systematically exploiting Black athletes nationwide, #WeAreUnited."

Who wants to watch these kids, and cheer them on, when they tell you point-blank that they simply feel used? You can't "fix" that.

My perspective on college athletics has always been that it is an incredible way to attend college. A full ride to get your education. If you are without means (and it appears that many college athletes are withouth means) or without a tradition of attending college (again, which appears to be the case with many student athletes), you get a full ride, room and board...tutors...preferred class scheduling...a network of appreciative alumni and an opportunity to play the sport you probably enjoy. For the few with a pro career in their future, you get the best facilities, nutrition, training, coaching and development...all while being featured on ESPN every week to start developing your "brand" before you even go pro.

As always, my evidence of that is that there isn't a single program in the country...not Austin Peay...not Kent State...no program is walking around with full scholarship offers with no takers. It is an incredible blessing and kids and their families know it...or so I thought.

But apparently the kids who get this "opportunity" see it differently. They are just exploited. Well...why would I pay money to participate in that system? Just walk away.

If Clemson chose to walk away from D1 sports, I would not disagree at all. As someone said above, if they removed the scholarships, aligned any money generated into the academic side and just played football, I'd probably enjoy it more at this point. Of course, all those student-athletes who couldn't afford school without that scholarship would be screwed, but better that than to exploit them.

null

Re: The damage is done in the first three sentences.

Aug 3, 2020, 11:24 AM

Agree. There should be an even stronger push to try to convince young athletes to value education and to study hard and quit chasing the siren song of professional sports. Few high school athletes will participate in college sports. Far fewer still will play professional sports and even fewer will earn enough playing professionally to ultimately not need a job when their playing days are over. I don't buy into black college athletes being exploited. They have an opportunity to help themselves immensely. If college sports ends up being deemphasized and I think we are headed there, this may prove beneficial to society at large. If somehow, some way, we can encourage minority kids to put education strongly first, we will have more minority doctors, lawyers, engineers, educators, business people and trade school crafts practitioners. I have been a generous donor to IPTAY for many years. I see myself deemphasizing my IPTAY contribution and giving more to targeted academic programs.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One of their "demands" is for the elimination of excessive

Aug 3, 2020, 12:24 PM

expenditures.

So I'm guessing they are good being treated more like regular students than star athletes?

This means things like:

-Staying in regular dorms with regular students, not clustered in what are essentially sport-specific housing areas
-No clothes provided, other than uniforms for play and practice
-No special dining halls or nutrition services
-No special weight rooms, training facilities, etc.
-No medical care other than a yearly physical and specific injury care
-No perks such as player-only lounges, study rooms, etc.
-No special athletic tutoring
-No golf cart rides to class

These changes will be a nice start. After all, they are already getting a free education, room, and board. That, plus the fact that they have the opportunity to have high level coaching to improve in their sport and have a chance to play professionally, is quite impressive for an amateur student-athlete.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Proverbs 16:18

Re: One of their "demands" is for the elimination of excessive

Aug 3, 2020, 6:46 PM

Yep, and if they actually had to for all they get, they would complain about it being to expensive. What they don't understand, is that if they were paid $10K a month during FB season but had to pay for their education, their housing, and food, they couldn't afford it!!!

And the only way they could skimp by, would be to get paid $10K a month for 12 months, and that wouldn't in no way shape of form pay for their coaching, training tables, or their medical!!!

Message was edited by: allinallorangeallthetime52®

Re: One of their "demands" is for the elimination of excessive

Aug 4, 2020, 12:32 PM

They want 50% revenue sharing on Conf Rev. And health insurance for 6 years, how about revenue sharing with their school, 50% of their income for 6 years after leaving school whether they go NFL or work force! What is the average NFL career, 7 years? They would still get all of year 7!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic