Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
PJ Fleck should get a decent look at FSU
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

PJ Fleck should get a decent look at FSU

Nov 3, 2019, 11:57 PM

Young coach + Successful everywhere he’s been + Runs a clean program and seems to set a good culture.

No clue as to his recruiting connections in the South. I’m sure that’s a big factor.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: PJ Fleck should get a decent look at FSU

Nov 4, 2019, 12:00 AM

As a beat reporter for FSU said earlier tonight: "Doesn't that sound like the guy you just fired?"

Note: I like PJ. Not saying I don't want him at FSU. Just saying that his resume is very similar to Taggarts.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 4, 2019, 12:10 AM

Taggarts WL record as a head coach is 56-62.
Flecks WL record as a head coach is 50-35.

FSU has a brand appeal but the reality is FSU is light years behind other top tier programs in coaching staff and facilities. I have a friend who formerly coached there just a few years ago and they only had a handful of analysts, whereas Clemson has abundantly more. They’re coaching offices are not even dedicated offices and shared with other professors. FSU is appealing but you guys have a ways to go to equal the standards of top level programs. Will the university make that commitment? Can FSU attract a top tier coach given the current restraints? All questions that will be answered in the next two months.

You seem extremely interested in resumes.

Nov 4, 2019, 6:04 AM [ in reply to Re: PJ Fleck should get a decent look at FSU ]

That’s funny, considering you’re talking to fans of a program that hired “never been a coordinator” Dabo.

They need to hire the right PERSON, not the right piece of PAPER.
(but It’s not PJ Fleck, in my opinion)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You seem extremely interested in resumes.

Nov 4, 2019, 9:08 AM

People also tend to forget that Danny Ford went straight form Offensive line coach to head coach, also.

No Clemson national champion HC has ever been a coordinator.

Re: You seem extremely interested in resumes.

Nov 4, 2019, 9:12 AM

Although not a NC

Don't forget Howard before the promotion. I think they had him cutting the grass...

Nov 4, 2019, 6:17 AM [ in reply to Re: PJ Fleck should get a decent look at FSU ]

PJ is a totally different person. He is like Dabo and makes great men.

Nov 4, 2019, 4:11 PM

I dunno about that.

PJ is apparently like a hamster on caffeine - past the point of manic. When my son and I were making the recruiting rounds, we were also warned about some of his high-pressure sales tactics...he's apparently known, for instance, to do stuff like give a recruit until they leave Fleck's office to commit or he drops them right there. (We didn't go to Minnesota, BTW!)

I can't see Dabo doing that, ever.

Nov 4, 2019, 12:06 AM

PJ Fleck would not fit at FSU.

He's not the guy they need.

He's also nothing at all like Taggart.

They’ll do everything they can to hire an established

Nov 4, 2019, 12:19 AM

Coach with a long track record. If they make the wrong hire again it could send the program into a long term downward spiral like Tennessee, Nebraska, USC, Miami, and Texas. The longer they’re down the harder it is to turn it around, and a bad hire can destroy it in a year or two, look what Hatfield and West did to Clemson.

Re: They’ll do everything they can to hire an established

Nov 4, 2019, 12:41 AM

Would make sense but who is that? No one at an established school (such as Kelly at ND) is leaving a known quantity for FSU. So who is the established head coach willing to give it a run with subpar facilities and an admin that has proven to be inadequate?

Kyle Whittingham
Gary Patterson
Chris Peterson
Mike Gundy
Les Miles
Jim Harbaugh
Bronco Mendenhall

Nov 4, 2019, 12:48 AM

Mack Brown is back in the saddle.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Nov 4, 2019, 12:57 AM

Probably treating a good case of saddle sores too.

Nov 4, 2019, 12:57 AM [ in reply to Re: They’ll do everything they can to hire an established ]

You never know who’s unhappy until they leave, maybe Kelly’s tired of the getting fired rumors.

They need a proven winner at this point

Nov 4, 2019, 12:40 AM

There is no margin for error considering you're going to be paying Taggart for a few years. Guys like Les Miles and Bob Stoops are really the only possible choices I see out there.

Re: They need a proven winner at this point

Nov 4, 2019, 12:46 AM

Les Miles could be a really good option. But at 66, how many years can he give them? He’s making less than $3 million a year at Kansas so he could probably be a good bargain. He checks all the other boxes, except age.

Re: They need a proven winner at this point

Nov 4, 2019, 12:58 AM

You don't need a 10+ year guy. At this point you just need a guy to turn it around. Get Les Miles in, establish that tough culture he established at LSU, get him to pick a promising assistant coach and let that guy be the heir apparent in 5 years or whenever Les wants to hang it up. It would energize the fanbase, recruiting and most likely get them back to relevancy next year.

Nov 4, 2019, 6:53 AM

Here is an interesting list of potential candidates. I would not be shocked to see any of these, except for Numbers 1 or 2. Franklin has a pretty good situation at PSU now, and FSU should be extremely leery of bringing in another Oregon coach!

https://247sports.com/college/oregon/LongFormArticle/yahoo-list-of-top-candidates-for-florida-state-football-head-coaching-jobs-137988286/#137988286_6

Matt Rhule is the other similar name

Nov 4, 2019, 8:14 AM

Rhule and Fleck will both get big-time head coaching positions soon. Just a matter of where.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think he's a slam dunk but not for FSU. Thugs are what

Nov 4, 2019, 9:18 AM

makes FSU great, just like Miami. Fleck won't recruit thugs. They've tried for the last 15 years at Miami to clean up their image but won't get back to "the U" football until they decide to go back to the Thug U. Same with FSU. They won't get back to dominant football until they get a guy like Jimbo who doesn't care about character only wins. Not everybody can be a Clemson and have both (great players and great character.)

If FSU decides to go win first guy (or Miami) then watch out they're on their way back.

So in other words...

Nov 4, 2019, 9:31 AM

they're likely going to hire Hugh Freeze, Bobby Petrino or Lane Kiffin

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Art Briles and his son stays as OC.***

Nov 4, 2019, 3:56 PM

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic