Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
P5 & FCS only NCAAF teams who could win. Group of 5 can't?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,698

P5 & FCS only NCAAF teams who could win. Group of 5 can't?

Dec 10, 2018, 5:49 PM

Power 5 teams - basically the only teams and ND who can qualify for a spot in the college football playoffs- no matter what!

FCS teams - qualify for it. Advance far enough and you could play South Dakota State and watch them win it. But, you would get an opportunity!

Group of 5 - Nothing! No chance! Why are you playing? For a New Years 6 bowl game appearance only! Is that the highest you can hope to obtain? Perhaps App St. should have stayed in FCS them and Troy.

Is that really good for college football? What are your thoughts? Am I over-thinking it? Because it seems wrong to me or pointless rather!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They never have had a chance at a National Championship

Dec 10, 2018, 5:51 PM

under any previous scenario either. If they want to play for a National Championship go undefeated and schedule 2-3 upper tier Power 5 teams.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly! Here's a history lesson

Dec 10, 2018, 6:04 PM

1998 - Tulane - Undefeated, beat BYU in the Liberty Bowl
1999 - Marshall - Undefeated, beat Clemson to start the season and beat BYU in the Motor City Bowl.
2004 - Utah - Undefeated, beat Pitt in the Fiesta Bowl
2006 - Boise State - Undefeated, beat OU in the Fiesta Bowl (one of the greatest games ever played, IMO)

The difference is that those teams didn't have paid Social Media staffers to properly whip millennials into an outrage.

If UCF wants to win a real National Championship it should schedule tough OOC opponents. They need to improve their resume OOC because their conference opponents are not good. I can guarantee you that if UCF had beaten OU, Clemson and Alabama this year, they would be playing in the CFP.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Exactly! Here's a history lesson

Dec 10, 2018, 6:24 PM

p.s. nobody cares about UCF!

I am Clemson Orange all day; every day!

It's going to be a couple weeks before we get to see the Tigers play; just a down time question about G5 teams nothing more. No specific team in mind.

Re: P5 & FCS only NCAAF teams who could win. Group of 5 can't?

Dec 10, 2018, 5:56 PM

Really?? App State and Troy----Against Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, and Oklahoma??? Are you kidding?? What is your point??

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They should start their own division

Dec 10, 2018, 5:59 PM

with their own championship

Re: P5 & FCS only NCAAF teams who could win. Group of 5 can't?

Dec 10, 2018, 6:01 PM

There should be a G5 playoff and championship as well.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Couple Things For Clarity!

Dec 10, 2018, 6:22 PM

1. I never said, "whoa is me"! I agree, they never had a shot under the old format. I was just kind of asking if everyone thought it was good for the game.
2. I'm not kidding you about using Troy and App St. as examples of old powerhouse FCS schools. I was getting at the fact; at least in FCS they had a real shot of winning a national title.
3. Again, it's more observation than anything regarding the G5 schools. Some of them can't help their size. Can they in some years beat the big boys ask Michigan. Yep! They can! App St. should have beaten then #8 Penn State this year in Happy Valley!
4. Yeah, I agree, I think eventually it will have to come to that! It gives them a shot to win a national title! And before someone tries to put it down; then be ready to put down S. Dakota St title invitational too, and the division III team that wins it each year too. If they are a tier back then acknowledge it and move on. Teams would then be forced to only schedule P5 teams to get a better sos.

Good idea or not? No wrong answers; just asking opinions!

Re: Couple Things For Clarity!

Dec 10, 2018, 6:30 PM

I agree with what you’re saying. It makes no sense to have group of 5 teams and power 5 teams both under “FBS” if the G5’s never have a chance at the championship. All those players and coaches start the season with no shot at even playing for it. It is asinine. Either have two separate titles for P5 and G5 or find a way to give them a shot through a legitimate playoff system.

And for those of you who say “schedule better opponents”....the players and coaches have no control over that, plus they only have 3 or 4 slots for OOC games anyway.

If they don’t belong on the same field with the big boys then why are they “FBS”?

You were clear in your initial post

Dec 10, 2018, 6:33 PM [ in reply to Couple Things For Clarity! ]

I think you raise a good point and worthy of debate. I'll be the first to admit I don't know how the money funnels to the G5 schools. That said, it seems a lot of P5 schools benefit immensely at the expense of a minority of P5 programs. Half the teams (and I'm being generous) in each P5 conference are unlikely to sniff a CFP slot within the next couple of decades. What sense is that? How are they more entitled to the opportunity they're unlikely to accomplish than a G5 team that may actually beat them during the season?

I don't have the answers, but one thing's clear. The CFP as constructed is going to shrink the college football landscape at the P5 level. The bowls are being rendered useless, aside from being an expensive 'bowl season practice period' between the regular season and spring ball. What sense does that make?

Bottom line, in my opinion, there's much more bad, than good in college football. At least it's not basketball 'slimy'...yet.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You were clear in your initial post

Dec 10, 2018, 9:14 PM

Salty55 Amen on that!

Re: You were clear in your initial post

Dec 10, 2018, 9:16 PM

Would anybody be opposed to a G5 playoff?

I wouldn't!

Probably be UCF invitational each year! Until the ACC makes UCF a member that is.
Boise State and UCF would be a heck of a game each year! I could then see a South Dakota State moving up b/c they think they can play most of the G5 teams and win. Thoughts?

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,698
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic