Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Our rival has truly become FSU, folks
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Our rival has truly become FSU, folks

Jul 9, 2017, 1:05 PM

This isn't complicated, IMHO.

Since 2009, either Clemson or Florida State has won the ACC. Actually Georgia Tech technically won it in 2009, by playing some ineligible players; it was retroactively awarded to Clemson, which I doubt anyone feels particularly great about. Still, you have to go all the way back to 2008 - 2008! - before you see either FSU or Clemson not in the ACC title game.

We have four ACC titles in that span. FSU has four. FSU won the Natty in 2013, and appeared in the playoffs in 2014. We got the playoffs and the national title game in 2015 and 2016, and obviously won the whole thing this past year.

BCS/New Year's Six Bowl games? We got one, in 2013, beating Ohio State. FSU beat Michigan last year, and appeared in the Orange this past year, though Houston beat them, which was a bit embarrassing.

Draft picks? Since 2013, FSU has put an absolutely whopping 35 guys into the NFL via the draft. Clemson's put 29 players into the draft, and had a few more make the League via OFA contracts.

That's a rivalry, people. The South Carolina Gamecocks have not been a worthy rival. They seemingly burned up about a century's worth of karma with their infamous "5-peat" and will likely have to live off it unto infinity since it does not appear they will be competing with Clemson ever again, or at least not for the foreseeable millennia. Since their high-water-mark in 2013 when they went 11-2 the Gamecocks have gone 7-6, 3-8, and 6-7, and have a single bowl 3-point victory over an Al Golden-coached Miami team in the Duck Commander Independence Bowl. And their total record in the last 3 years is 16-22. (Clemson, by way of comparison, is 38-5 over the last three years.) And indeed, in their high-water season of 2013, South Carolina duly put 7 picks in the NFL draft. In the four years since they've had just 9 total. And zero this past draft. (They might get two guys drafted in 2018, assuming OG Zack Bailey comes out.)

That is simply not a rival. FSU - that is a rival. That is the place on the food chain where Clemson resides. At this point the rivalry with the Gamecocks is so much incoherent noise; this thing with the Seminoles actually means something - and means something nationally.

Just sayin'.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Our rival has truly become FSU, folks

Jul 9, 2017, 1:10 PM

been saying it for years - usuck is no rival

and apparently, they are now an all girl school

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Jul 9, 2017, 1:27 PM

A rivalry goes both ways, are you saying FSU fans consider Clemson their rival over UF?

I get what he's saying if you look at the conference...

Jul 9, 2017, 10:57 PM

...and post-season bowl/title picture over the last few years. But of course UF will always be their true rival. Just as the coots will always (thankfully) be ours.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Jul 9, 2017, 11:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Our rival has truly become FSU, folks ]

> A rivalry goes both ways, are you saying FSU fans
> consider Clemson their rival over UF?

Yes

Go Tigers!

???

Virginia Tech won the ACC in 2010. Also, officially there is

Jul 9, 2017, 1:32 PM

no ACC champion for 2009...it's vacated. It was never awarded to Clemson.

Jul 9, 2017, 1:39 PM

The ACC never retroactively awarded the ACC championship to us and VT won the conference in 2010.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Jul 9, 2017, 1:51 PM

could have just shortened this post to ."The South Carolina Gamecocks have not been a worthy rival."

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 9, 2017, 2:30 PM

The FSU game means more towards being champions of the ACC, but Carolina is our rival. Back when we used to lose to FSU more it wasnt near as bad as losing to Carolina. When I go to the grocery store I dont see many Seminole fans, but I do see those #### lovers. It makes life better when we beat them. Remember back in 2011 when we beat FSU and won the ACC, and still had to listen to them annoying ### chickens. Im sorry man but I cant agree with you on this one.

South Carolina will always be a Rival as will FSU.

Jul 9, 2017, 2:57 PM

South Carolina is for State Bragging Rights which I hope we hang 10 or more on them! FSU is our ACC Atlantic Division Rival so the Championship Game will most likely continue to go thru Clemson or Tallahassee. On a side note, the Coastal Division is ramping up with some serious talent. The ACC is putting up a first class Product IMO!

I think SC College is the perfect rival -

Jul 9, 2017, 2:43 PM

name another college who has an historic rival that is remotely close to how easy it is to mock. Its an endless win.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 9, 2017, 2:53 PM

S.C./ Clemson is the second longest continuous series in the nation , only behind Minnesota / Wisconsin I would think that would qualify as a rival.

FSU fans hates UF and Miami more than they hate Clemson.

Jul 9, 2017, 3:01 PM

It's a who you live with type rivalry that's the most intense.

OSU and Michigan have been lopsided for a decade. They still hate each other.

Let's just enjoy being in our situation and laugh at the coots. Makes it so sweet.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Jul 9, 2017, 3:21 PM

I'm honestly embarrassed that we're even associated with USCjr. We need to find a more worthy OOC "rival," one that will bolster our SOS, not significantly damage it.

Who you "Most want to beat" versus "Most hate to lose to"

Jul 9, 2017, 3:30 PM

These are two very different things.

Clemson has always seen SCAR as the team they most hate to lose to, regardless of the overall ramifications of the game. Losing to SCAR hurts year round, even if you were win-less coming into the game.

But over the years, the team Clemson most wants to beat has been Georgia (for several years) and is now clearly FSU. Beating FSU has become the key to a successful season for Clemson.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If things work out like they should this year, our

Jul 9, 2017, 7:01 PM

only rival might be Alabama.

Here's to hoping for a best-of-three victory this winter.

Jul 10, 2017, 2:49 AM

Agree with Q. Our fate runs through Tally.

Really epic rivalries (Celtics/Lakers of old comes to mind) should have an element of mutual respect. Can't really say that's there with the coots. And nationally, I expect our FSU game to be must-see TV for years and years to come. It's on the verge of being regarded like the ND/USC rivalry used to be.

FSU has become our national rival and SCar is now just the local rival we keep around for comic relief.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic