Topic: Our Last Sugar Bowl Appearance
Replies: 15   Last Post: Dec 17, 2017 3:04 PM by: Joe21
[ Tiger Boards - Clemson Football ]
Start New Topic
Replies: 15   Pages: 1  

Our Last Sugar Bowl Appearance

[14]
Posted: Dec 17, 2017 7:30 AM

Pretty cool hearing from our former Tigers and watching some 50’s football film footage.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/videos/sports/2017/12/16/sugar-bowl-memories-sweeten-time/108670262/

military_donation.jpg

wwLBBd

Newsreel footage I’ve never seen

[2]
Posted: Dec 17, 2017 7:57 AM

Great pictures of “Sugar Blue” jerseys. Thanks!

Re: Newsreel footage I’ve never seen

Posted: Dec 17, 2017 8:46 AM

Yeah I've tried to find stuff on this game and cant. this is great

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

Re: Newsreel footage I’ve never seen

[1]
Posted: Dec 17, 2017 8:56 AM

I've actually got the whole game on DVD. The score was 7-0. LSU finally scored when we had a bad snap/fumble deep in our own territory late in the game. It was a rather frustrating game to watch overall. There was not a great deal of excitement.

2018 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg

Re: Our Last Sugar Bowl Appearance

[1]
Posted: Dec 17, 2017 8:52 AM

This was the first Clemson game I ever watched. Harold Olson #76 the fellow who is on camera for most of the video was considered absolutely huge at the time. He weighed around 240 pounds and played a couple of years with the Buffalo Bills.

Posted: Dec 17, 2017 1:37 PM

Yep!

Posted: Dec 17, 2017 8:54 AM

Pretty well done. But should have used some late 50s music too. I was in 1st grade and remember this game and season and us going to play the great Billy Cannon. This time we win by more than 7!

Great stuff....***

Posted: Dec 17, 2017 9:31 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

[1]
Posted: Dec 17, 2017 9:57 AM

Thank you for posting 1959 Sugar Bowl Memories. Awesome!!! I would love to have a chance to sit down and share a cup of coffee with these two men and listen to their stories.

[1]
Posted: Dec 17, 2017 10:17 AM

Good stuff.

Wonder how USCjr feels about Clemson being invited to the SEC’s tie-in major bowl game before them, especially considering USCjr has never been to even 1 major bowl of any kind.

[1]
Posted: Dec 17, 2017 10:30 AM

News media before the game kept saying our Tigers were not going to have a chance. Remember Coach Howard
telling the national news coverage guys during an interview, "My boys are so angry at your insults that to get them in the stadium I'm going to have to put a sack over their heads to keep people safe."

[1]
Posted: Dec 17, 2017 1:10 PM

Lou Cordileone "Big Momma" ate Billy Cannon's lunch that day. We had a lot of opportunities that day but kept turning the ball over. I don't believe in Voodoo, but I swear it looked like somebody put a hex on us.

2018 purple level member

My Grandfather is Harold!

[1]
Posted: Dec 17, 2017 1:37 PM

Super cool story.

Re: My Grandfather is Harold!

[1]
Posted: Dec 17, 2017 2:38 PM

Check your T-Mail ...

I go to church with former player Charlie Horn

[1]
Posted: Dec 17, 2017 2:03 PM

He played half back for that team and is a retired pasted now. Talked a little about it today. He has other great stories about coach howard and how things were back then. Go Tigers

[1]
Posted: Dec 17, 2017 3:04 PM

Harold Olsen lives here at Clemson Downs and I see him regularly. George Usry came back to Clemson after he retired. He has had some health problems so I don't see him as often.

Replies: 15   Pages: 1  
Clemson Gear
Clemson Gear

TIGER TICKETS

FB GAME: Season Tickets
FOR SALE: Selling four 2018 football season tickets in section UG, lower level, south stands. Asking $1,750 EA...

Buy or Sell CU Tickets and More in Tiger Tickets!

[ Tiger Boards - Clemson Football ]
Start New Topic
1801 people have read this post