Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Only problem with the 8-team playoff would be
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Only problem with the 8-team playoff would be

Dec 6, 2018, 8:45 AM

the rankings would be shuffled to:

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Notre Dame
4. Georgia
5. Oklahoma
6. Florida
7. LSU
8. Ohio State

and ESECPN would be arguing that Kentucky deserved to be in for playing in the SEC.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Only problem with the 8-team playoff would be

Dec 6, 2018, 8:55 AM

no matter how many you have someone who things they should play gets left out. Look at the hoops idiocy and dont go down that road. 4 is fine

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2018, 9:12 AM

My only problem with the 4 team playoff is that you have 5 conferences fighting for 4 spots. Take each of the 5 power 5 conference champions, write in criteria for independent and group of 5 teams to make it, and take 3 at large teams. play the first round the week after conference championships on the higher seeds home field, then play out the last 2 rounds like it's laid out now.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2018, 9:55 AM

you reward excellence. many in our "everybody should get a trophy" society have a problem with that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2018, 9:57 AM

plus you'd add to the 15 games winner plays now. 15 is enough

Dec 6, 2018, 10:43 AM

Eliminate FCS games. Eliminate conference championships. That would allow for an 8 team, 3-tier playoff system. Round 1 at the higher seed's home field. Rounds 2 & 3 under the current system.

PS - you can't "eliminate" independents and Group of 5 from the mix because 'Power 5' is not a recognized term or division by the NCAA. Its a media (sports & social) term. Granted we all know GO5 do not recruit or play on the level of Power 5 and most likely would be left out of an 8 team playoff too.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not just SEC.. Kentucky beat Florida

Dec 6, 2018, 9:11 AM

Which is all UGA did this year as well.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Dec 6, 2018, 9:24 AM

There are lots of problems with the eight team playoff...not just one.

BTW, the current system is a plus one system. If you recall, we started with an AP based championship. This was a flawed system due to ranking bias. We moved to a BCS system which was better but there was often a 3rd or 4th deserving team so they moved the current plus one system. Frankly this system does a great job of allowing the best four to settle it on the field. It does so without adding games which would have a negative impact on the players health or academics. There will always be grumbling from those who did not make it as we have seen with basketball which takes 67 teams.

Cept it does add 1 game

Dec 6, 2018, 9:28 AM

The grumbling is all due to... "selecting best teams"

It will always be that way as long as people get to choose who should be NC.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

No. Stick with 4.

Dec 6, 2018, 9:47 AM

The college football playoffs was created to find the best ONE team. It gives you extra spots because sometimes the third or fourth ranked team has a case to being in the conversation as the best ONE team.

However, it is extremely unlikely that the fifth through eighth ranked teams have a case to being the best ONE team.

Take this year for example. If we just picked two teams BCS style and let them play for the championship, it would be Clemson and Alabama. There’s a very good chance that one of those two is the best team in the country. However, Notre Dame is also undefeated and likely deserves a shot to prove they are the best team. Those are the 3 teams that deserved a shot to be the best team. The only reason Oklahoma is in the conversation is because we needed a fourth team.

The playoffs is about finding the best single team in the country. The BCS was correct like 90% of the time. If you can’t find the single best team in the country with 4 chances, then you’ll never find it.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: No. Stick with 4.

Dec 6, 2018, 10:06 AM

^ This

Right now, we really only have 3 potential "best" teams to make a legitimate claim. Bama, Clemson, and ND. Realistically, I do not see 5 undefeated teams plus ND EVER happening at the end of the season. Adding #5-8 is just muddying the water. The gap between the top 4-5 is a lot wider than the gap of 6-15 because most of those 6-15 have loses to the top 4/5.

What about UCF... are they really a "best team". They beat bad competition and even NC State can do that. They are excluded because the level of play is not there with other teams. If UCF was beating those folks 63-3 every week, maybe but not when they are down double-digits to Memphis...and padding stats against UCONN surrenderin' Edsalls. UCF is good but they were not dominant nor did they really play anyone with a decent pulse.

But since we have four spots and 3 undefeated teams, it becomes a plus 1. Who is the "plus 1?" Ok, fine it is OU because they lost at a not-quite-so-neutral field to a 0:09 FG. As compared to UGA/31-0 who had blowout loses.

Beyond the no-loss groups, OU, 31-0hio and UCF, every other team in the country has a loss to those four teams in the playoff or Ohio State. UGGGGGA lost to bama, Mich lost to ND and 31-0 Udub lost to about anybody, florida lost to a a few. LSU and Pedophile State lost to other teams. No one, save Ohio State has a claim that they *might* belong because they beat better competition without losing... but 31-0hio lost badly and had several eek-out wins to non-bowl eligible teams.

Re: No. Stick with 4.

Dec 6, 2018, 11:36 AM [ in reply to No. Stick with 4. ]

Gtriple, have to disagree man. There are just too many teams and conferences to know for sure. We’re now leaning too much in the eye test and not wins and record. Someone has been embarrassed in the playoff every single year proving that they get at least one team wrong each year. I agree ND deserves a shot at it being undefeated, but I’ve got little doubt that they’d get beaten badly by UGA or OSU on a football field. Heck anyone in the top 7 could get hot and win the natty this year.

Trust me you’d feel differently if Clemson had tripled once this year. The first time clemson finishes 5 or 6, and it will happen, the mindset about expansion will change quickly here.

Correct. Four is enough. Just imagine the whining about #8!***

Dec 6, 2018, 12:24 PM [ in reply to No. Stick with 4. ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2018, 9:50 AM

I still argue that an 8 team playoff would give them a way to shove in 4 SEC teams.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Probably so, that's why, even with 8 teams, there should not

Dec 6, 2018, 11:50 AM

be more than two from any one conference.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Probably TL;DR but got to say my peace

Dec 6, 2018, 2:50 PM

Exactly.
@tigersrule and @longtallsam are right.
The criteria needs to be made much clearer with less political bullying.
If, like ESPN apparently wants, the playoffs become an SEC parade of rematches, college football will lose a lot of interest outside the southeast. That’s bad for the sport.

Of the 8 top teams 6 of them are capable of winning it all, perhaps 7. Michigan is a good team. UCF would be an outlier, but who knows?
The playoffs aren’t about proving who the best team is. The unpredictability of seasons and the uncertainty of our resultant expectations put to the test, in games between teams who have earned a chance to play for it all, are why we play the games at all. Arbitrary election of teams based primarily on appearance discounts the excitement of seasonal games between perceived lesser teams and unfairly penalizes those with better records in comparable games and greater attainment. I don’t care who Herbstreit (good guy) thinks is better. It’s madness to leave any team out with a better resume based on wins.

Clemson and, particularly, Alabama are believed to be a step above the rest. Anything can happen in college football. Who would have thought App St would have beaten Mich back in 2007? OK is absolutely capabale of winning it all.
Could Mich, 31-0, UCF or GA, do the same? Yes. It’s not out of question; but out of those 4, as crazy as this mIght sound to way too many people, GA is the last I would select of the 8. In fact, I’d select Wash at 8. GA needs to win games not play well.
I want to see the best of the most successful teams from around the country. That’s exciting to me.

Seasons generally disqualify multiple teams from the same conferences, an exception being last season. Alabama and conference champ GA were 1 loss teams and had not played one another.
Beyond situations like that, the teams with comparable credentials that create greater regional variety should advance. Such games are more valid and democratic.
When resumes are close, I want matchups between teams that would never play one another otherwise.

Cricket Chirp Temperature Formula:
Number of Chirps per 14 seconds + 40 = Approximate Temperature

Should be:

Dec 6, 2018, 9:50 AM

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Notre Dame
4. Clemson 2nd string
5. Oklahoma
6. OSU
7. Georgia
8. Clemson (3rd string)

Re: Should be:

Dec 6, 2018, 10:11 AM

Fixed it.

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Notre Dame
4. Clemson 2nd string
5. Oklahoma
6. 31-0SU
7. Clemson (3rd string)
8. Hunter Renfrow

However, Bama boosters jump off a cliff as they are woefully undermatched against the Renfrows

Edited

Dec 6, 2018, 3:05 PM [ in reply to Should be: ]

Only put our 3rd string at 7, *Michigan at 8 and drop Ga out.

*i meant 31-0 at 8

Message was edited by: oghost®

Cricket Chirp Temperature Formula:
Number of Chirps per 14 seconds + 40 = Approximate Temperature

Dec 6, 2018, 9:55 AM

AND I 'D ARGUE THAT UCF SHOULD BE INCLUDED IN THAT 8!

Dec 6, 2018, 10:20 AM

I would think an eight team playoff would include each Power 5 conference winner, one Group of 5 team, and two at large teams.

So,

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Notre Dame
4. Oklahoma
5. Georgia
6. Ohio State
7. UCF
8. Washington

There is no way that 4 of the top 8 teams

Dec 6, 2018, 11:55 AM

in college football are from one conference (SEC), but I don't doubt that the rankings would be exactly as you posted.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

An 8 team playoff would kill the regular season***

Dec 6, 2018, 12:08 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, they wouldn't. Some of you guys got

Dec 6, 2018, 12:33 PM

the SEC living in your head. They are the best conference this year by a long shot, but not every year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2018, 3:09 PM

All of these communists in here arguing against more football...

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic