Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
On This Date: 1983 Clemson- 27 NC State- 17
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 861

On This Date: 1983 Clemson- 27 NC State- 17

Oct 22, 2020, 9:28 AM

10/22/1983
Death Valley, SC

Clemson Dumps 'Pack 27-17

On a rain soaked afternoon in Death Valley, Clemson saw a determined Wolfpack team take a 17-9 lead midway through the third period, but quarterback Mike Eppley scored on a 28-yard dash and added the two-point conversion to tie the score in the third period.

The Tigers clinched it when Eppley hit freshman Ray Williams on a 75-yard pass play. The score was nearly nullified as Wolfpack defender Dwayne Greene got his fingertips on it. "It was kind of a lucky catch,” Williams said. "It would’ve hit me right in the midsection if he hadn’t tipped it, but instead it hit me in the face mask. I almost didn't grab it."

Clemson would go on to win 27-17, improving to 5-1-1 on the season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

I don't think Mike Epply ever gets the credit due him. He

Oct 22, 2020, 9:42 AM

was a VERY good triple option quarterback for us. I think the lack of any postseason exposure, as he played during the probation years, holds him back from getting said just due. I personally would put him around #7 all time of Clemson QB's that I have actually seen on film or live.

1. Trevor Lawrence
2. Deshaun Watson
3. Tajh Boyd
4. Charlie Whitehurst
5. Steve Fuller
6. Woodrow Dantzler
7. Mike Eppley
8. Rodney Anderson
9. Homer Jordan

I only made the list as long as it took to get all our Natty QBs on it. I'm sure others will disagree on names or positioning, but that is mine.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't think Mike Epply ever gets the credit due him. He

Oct 22, 2020, 10:07 AM

Good list. Fuller should be a little higher, IMO. Rodney Williams was a very good option QB. I agree, Mike probably doesn't get enough recognition. He was a good BB player, as well.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't think Mike Eppley ever gets the credit due him.

Oct 22, 2020, 10:39 AM

Yes, he was a very astute and capable point guard for us in basketball as well. If you remember, we had another two sport athlete a few years earlier, but was primarily basketball first. Yet, he actually made the NFL as a receiver. I am talking of course, about Stan Rome. He was drafted in the 11th (yes, they had a lot more rounds back then) round by the Kansas City Chiefs in 1978, and in the 4th round by the Cleveland Cavaliers in basketball. That's pretty scrong right there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

pretty good list there 76. Agreed on Eppley .***

Oct 22, 2020, 10:19 AM [ in reply to I don't think Mike Epply ever gets the credit due him. He ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Replies: 4
| visibility 861
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic