Replies: 10   Last Post: Mar 14, 2019 3:26 PM by: CM Shack
[ Tiger Boards - Pros & Other ]
Start New Topic
Replies: 10  

Old computer geek needs some computer help

[1]
Posted: Mar 14, 2019 1:49 PM

Let me know if anyone has a solution as to how to do this:

I bought a desktop a couple of years ago and installed a 500GB SSD with Win 10.
The SSD had 2 partitions, so I have C: and D: drives instead of one contiguous drive.
My C: drive is small and is running out of space, but I have 300+GB on the D: drive that I want to use.
I thought this would be simple, but Disk Management (or some other software) will not allow me to extend the C: drive since the D: drive is not next to the C: drive.

I need to be able to move the D: next to C: but there is a Windows RE tools in between, and nothing I've tried allows me to move D:.

Do any of you have any suggestions? I don't want to buy a larger SSD when I still have lots of room on that drive that I cannot seem to get to.

BTW: I have some other larger drives that I could clone my 500 SSD to, and then possibly clone the larger drive back to the 500 SSD and remove the extra partition in the process. Would that possibly work?

Re: Old computer geek needs some computer help

Posted: Mar 14, 2019 1:52 PM

I think you had the right answer at the end.

Posted: Mar 14, 2019 1:58 PM

Thanks. At least it sounds logical, I just have never needed to do that, so flying into the unknown with this one. :)

Posted: Mar 14, 2019 2:05 PM

Yeah I had a similar partition issue before. I know there is plenty of repartitioning software out there but I never found a way to do it without losing data, especially if it’s the partition you’re using. I would want to make a backup anyway so might as well just do what you said. Disclaimer, I know just enough about computers to probably be dangerous. There are probably some CS grads on here who might have a solution. Good luck.

Posted: Mar 14, 2019 2:05 PM

There are several disk utilities that are free that can resize your partition. EaseUS Partition Master Free is one of them. Google "resize partition free" and it will give you a list of other software programs that can do that.

2019 white level member

Posted: Mar 14, 2019 3:22 PM

yes - I actually tried EaseUS Partition Master first, but it would not give me any option to actually move the partition adjacent to my C: partition. It said "resize/move" but only gave me options to resize.

[1]
Posted: Mar 14, 2019 2:15 PM

Pretty sure if you create a windows recovery (usb) drive you can delete the windows recovery partition without compromising anything.

You might try a tool like easeUS partition master to move the windows recover partition first.

I think you should try that before cloning to a larger drive since cloning from a larger drive to a smaller drive can be an issue due to hidden files.

2019 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg

Do you have a zip drive?

Posted: Mar 14, 2019 2:18 PM

2019 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Re: Do you have a zip drive?

Posted: Mar 14, 2019 3:24 PM

Not sure if I can round up enough floppy disks.

Posted: Mar 14, 2019 2:44 PM

I’d make it 220...221, whatever it takes.

some form of Partition Magic, I don't think the original is

Posted: Mar 14, 2019 3:26 PM

supported anymore, but there are plenty of free alternatives

Replies: 10  

TIGER TICKETS

FB GAME: Season Tickets
FOR SALE: 1 Season ticket in LOWER level Sec R, Row Z. $970.

Buy or Sell CU Tickets and More in Tiger Tickets!

[ Tiger Boards - Pros & Other ]
Start New Topic
487 people have read this post