Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ok, how do we fix men's basketball?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Ok, how do we fix men's basketball?

Jan 27, 2019, 11:35 AM

Just some honest dialogue.

Football - great
Baseball - very good
WBB - feeling real good

MBB - definition of insanity. We keep hiring the same guy over and over. You would think football success would help some with recruiting. Not blaming Brad totally for yesterday's flame out with the exception of backing guy's off and not fouling NCS players at the end. Big picture our culture in MBB just feels like a losing culture. Next year's team?..oh boy!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad bb generates zero excitement

Jan 27, 2019, 11:47 AM

As maddening as OP style was some time at least it had the fans energized

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Brad bb generates zero excitement

Jan 27, 2019, 2:08 PM

YES OP WAS A GOOD COACH,BUT WHAT ABOUT HIS LEAVING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ok, how do we fix men's basketball?

Jan 27, 2019, 11:51 AM

So your opinion is that we lost that game in the last minute. My opinion is that we lost the game in the first half when players could not stop NC State from scoring and could not hit the broad side of the barn. Players could not hit free throws and turned the ball over numerous times. So how do you coach players to shoot free throws and quit making mental mistakes?

Jan 27, 2019, 11:59 AM

Finish out this season and start looking for a new Head Coach who knows just as much about having what it takes to recruit "basketball" talent, and who can teach someone to hit a freaking foul shot with the game on the line.

Jan 27, 2019, 12:19 PM

Tell me how you coach that skill, that the same logic as coach a Quarterback to be cool and calm like TL in a pressure situation.

Jan 27, 2019, 2:13 PM

You practice till it becomes automatic.
Sure you will miss a free throw occasionally, but when you miss four consecutive shots in a "crucial" time in a game that would have iced it, then you have a problem.
And yesterday was not the first time this has happened.
Statistically speaking, Brad Brownell's teams have been one of the worst free throw shooting team in the league going back several years.
And if practice doesn't correct then maybe Brad can ask Dabo to let TL play on the basketball team.

not sure what “fixed” looks like- but for me - (long)

Jan 27, 2019, 12:18 PM

While I would love to become dominant like in football - my desires are less than that - at least to start.

I simply want to be competitive.

My concerns are:
Recruiting. I don’t expect 5 or 4 stars. Truthfully, when we have gotten a 4 star, our expectations go up and maybe we expect too much. What bothers me about recruiting is that we don’t seem to be able to recruit anyone that can score. We have a unit with 4 seniors starting and we still can’t score. You would think that a well coached senior laden team would be able to compete against the talent of freshmen. That is our only advantage, yet we don’t seem to be able to do that. We have gotten reliant on transfers who washed out from other schools.

Depth. We discuss BB recruiting better. Well who exactly is pushing for playing time as a freshman? Especially in the post or power forward positions. If Thomas goes out, we have no scoring option. For the past two seasons, same thing. Also, a transfer. Most other schools get some points from the bench. We struggle to get anything.

Offensive philosophy? What are we trying to accomplish? Identity? Who do we work thru on offense? What are we good at? Every team should know.

Development. Other than Thomas - who is better than they were last year or the year before? Who has improved their shot?
Defense. If an opposing team has struggled making the 3 - the best remedy is to play us. Thomas holds down the middle pretty well, but where is a power forward, rebounder, enforcer to compliment him? To sub him out. He gets fouls picking up for others not taking care of their business.

I don’t compare Clemson to duke, unc, uva, Syracuse, Louisville. I do think that FSU, Miami, Pitt, gt, vt, nd, ncstate are benchmarks. How do they recruit better? How are they more competitive - in more years?

I also want us to be fun to watch. To see our players having fun. I just don’t see it.

Some speak of being a football school as that is a disadvantage. Our facilities are better due to it. Our exposure is huge due to it. So, it should be an advantage.

I have also hear about facilities and then coaching pay. I don’t buy it. Comparing our coaching pay - it is competitive for our base competition. LJ is better than many out there.

As I have said before, I don’t seek to fire anyone. I want to see my above issues improve year after year.
Fun, competitive, well coached.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: not sure what “fixed” looks like- but for me - (long)

Jan 27, 2019, 12:24 PM

I have asked on several posts who CAN you hire to come to Clemson. You can forget Greg Marshall that ship sailed years ago.

Re: not sure what “fixed” looks like- but for me - (long)

Jan 27, 2019, 12:47 PM

There are young talented coaches out there that would leap at the challenge of turning Tiger BB around . Brownell should never been hired ;he's not a very good coach ; and a terrible recruiter ; ( got lucky w graduate transfers last year; you can't build a program like that ).

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Greg Marshall is NOT basketball elixir

Jan 27, 2019, 12:49 PM [ in reply to Re: not sure what “fixed” looks like- but for me - (long) ]

CBB does not ooze energy or excitement. I know that has to carryover to recruiting with his lack of success for competing at a high level or putting guys in the NBA. We need that young, up and coming guy in the vein of 1994 Rick Barnes.

If we don't care about MBB then add a sport to replace it. Bring back wrestling or diving, etc. Look at what UVA caught with Tony Bennett, NCS ain't doing too bad, VaT, you get my point. Zion was never seriously going to pick us over Duke, but Josiah James, kid headed to Georgetown...they could be coming to Tigertown with more sustained growth with MBB.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

xact same question........

Jan 27, 2019, 12:39 PM

For at least 50 years now. Once in a blue moon we'll have a good team but never anything consistent. Don't know what to say.

Jan 27, 2019, 12:56 PM

With pour lame fan support and attendance we are about where we deserve to be. I'm disappointed we didnt springboard from last year to a really solid team this year. But we didnt. Our experienced guards have regressed and no one , two , or three of our others comes close to filling the Devoe void. I keep hoping we click in a play better but I'm seeing zero evidence that it is happening

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 27, 2019, 1:03 PM

So no answer to the question who CAN you hire to come coach Clemson men's basketball, just we can hire a young gun to come in and work miracles.

spring broke when Duke bought Zion***

Jan 27, 2019, 1:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Ok, how do we fix men's basketball? ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 27, 2019, 1:01 PM

Judge Keller thinks it's the fans fault.

You should ask I guy name Dabo, he pretty good at

Jan 27, 2019, 1:51 PM

such things.

Re: You should ask I guy name Dabo, he pretty good at

Jan 27, 2019, 2:07 PM

Dabo has more energy and communications skills in his pinky than CBB has in his entire bloodline. Can he model Dabo? Obviously not with the model on campus.

Being the whipping boy if newbies like BC, VaT, Miami just stinks.

Re: You should ask I guy name Dabo, he pretty good at

Jan 27, 2019, 3:45 PM

Zion says it all. Come here and be on prime tv maybe twice a year or go to duke and every game national tv. All but impossible to recruit in acc.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic