Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ok.. completely serious question...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 65
| visibility 1

Ok.. completely serious question...

Aug 28, 2014, 9:57 AM

I love college football. I want to watch college football. There will be a lot of good games on the SEC network this year. I would like to have it in order to watch those games.

I don't think that makes me an SEC homer.

Why are you guys so DEAD SET against having this network? I don't care one way or the other about it, except for the fact that I get to watch more football.

Is it just driven by a hatred of UCS? I guess I can see that.

Hell, I've even seen people on here say things like "I get the network, but I won't give them one second of ratings."

That seems ridiculous.

Ok... I'll hang up and listen

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Yes.***

Aug 28, 2014, 9:58 AM

null

please... I prefer answers that are short and to the point***

Aug 28, 2014, 9:58 AM

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

bob answers?

Aug 28, 2014, 9:59 AM

noted.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

^^mad cuz SEC network won't be providing

Aug 28, 2014, 9:59 AM

Tigers to Big12 updates.

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

#needsnewmaterialbutthanksforplaying***

Aug 28, 2014, 10:00 AM

But... but...

Aug 28, 2014, 10:01 AM

We've been waiting by our computers ALL of this time!

True. We committed now.

Aug 28, 2014, 10:02 AM

Ain't no gwan back.

Hey,

Aug 28, 2014, 10:02 AM [ in reply to #needsnewmaterialbutthanksforplaying*** ]

that stings me a little but I still pointed it.

#just4fun

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I get free

Aug 28, 2014, 10:00 AM

And I love a good college game...so I'm a homerette

bob's one too. Oh, you said 'homerette.' my bad***

null

I'll never watch it.

I had no idea they'd show anything but reruns. I was caught up in the moment and consumed with jealousy. You need more?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I downgraded my cable package with Uverse so that

Aug 28, 2014, 10:02 AM

I wouldn't get the SEC network. I don't want to contribute a dime to it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

standing by his principles ^^^^

Aug 28, 2014, 10:03 AM

will be asking TNET for updates later

So you're saying...

Aug 28, 2014, 10:04 AM [ in reply to I downgraded my cable package with Uverse so that ]

LBU's basement pit has the channel?

"had" the channel***

Aug 28, 2014, 10:05 AM

You know much about this.***

no.... I can read...

Aug 28, 2014, 10:07 AM

he said he "downgraded" the package so he wouldn't get it...

thus it "had" the channel before that

Spin doctor!

Aug 28, 2014, 10:08 AM

I was referring to the pit not the GWP or channel.

oh... in that case...

Aug 28, 2014, 10:09 AM

what was the question?

You win.

Aug 28, 2014, 10:16 AM

You know I'm easily persuaded. Just confuse me and I'll buy into anything.

Every TV set that has it pays ESPN for it.

Aug 28, 2014, 10:04 AM

ESPN is banking on that big contract, and I want them to FAIL.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

"There will be a lot of good games on the SEC network this

year."

Really? I've only seen the schedule for the first four weeks or so, and other than aTm-SCAR there's nothing but dog crap.

Are there better games later in the year?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: "There will be a lot of good games on the SEC network this

Aug 28, 2014, 10:06 AM

The one you mentioned ruined my resolution.

Re: Ok.. completely serious question...

"There will be a lot of good games on the SEC network this year."

They've got a big game tonight to peak interest in the network. The rest of the games on the SEC network this season will blow.

Below is the 2014 SEC Network schedule (16 games through Sept. 20):

Thursday, Aug. 28

Texas A&M at South Carolina, 6pm ET
Temple at Vanderbilt, 9:15 pm ET

Saturday, Aug. 30

UT Martin at Kentucky, Noon ET
Arkansas at Auburn, 4 pm ET
Southern Miss at Mississippi State, 7:30 pm ET

Sunday, Aug. 31

Utah State at Tennessee, 7 pm ET

Saturday, Sept. 6

Florida Atlantic at Alabama, Noon ET
Arkansas State at Tennessee, Noon ET
Eastern Michigan at Florida, 4 pm ET
Nicholls State at Arkansas, 4pm ET
Sam Houston State at LSU, 7:30pm ET
Lamar at Texas A&M, 7:30pm ET

Saturday, Sept. 13

UCF at Missouri, Noon ET
UL Lafayette at Ole Miss, 4pm ET
Kentucky at Florida, 7:30pm ET

Saturday, Sept. 20

Troy at Georgia, Noon ET
TBD, 4pm ET
TBD, 7:30 pm ET

Long term, I get the feeling the SEC network will be great

Aug 28, 2014, 10:11 AM

...for Kentucky football fans.

null

Subscribing to or watching that network.....

Aug 28, 2014, 10:06 AM

puts money in the pockets of the competition.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

ok... just so I'm clear on this...

If I watch the UCS/TAMU game tonight I am contributing to them beating us again?

The extra money....

Aug 28, 2014, 10:18 AM

will help them pay recruits, the parents of recruits, cover the cost of luxury hotels and attorney fees for their players.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

now THAT I can believe***

Aug 28, 2014, 10:21 AM

I only Netflix

Aug 28, 2014, 10:10 AM

I mooch off others for games I don't get. It forces me to community and to get amongst the people

serious answer...

Aug 28, 2014, 10:12 AM

I don't mind it personally, mostly crap on there so far when I've watched.

My problem...I believe it continues to hype and give the SEC an unfair recruiting advantage. I know Big 10 and Pac 10 (or whatever they're called now have networks, but I don't think they are sponsored, supported and promoted by ESPN.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you for the answer.... I can see that...

Aug 28, 2014, 10:14 AM

I do think FOX promotes the Pac 12 though... but I could be wrong

Even if it did give a recruiting advantage,

Aug 28, 2014, 10:17 AM [ in reply to serious answer... ]

why would it be unfair?

because ESPN does not have a network for each...

of the other conferences. Before the advent of the SEC network, we'd play an SEC team on ESPN and going to the commercial the outro graphic and voice-over would be "This is the SEC on ESPN.

Now if you didn't have a favorite team as a recruit and you had the opportunity and choice, where do you think you'd choose? The team or conference that gets little press or the team/conference that gets all the props?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So all teams and conferences should get equal

Aug 28, 2014, 10:22 AM

time in the media? Good teams have always been on TV more. Do they have an unfair recruiting advantage as a result?

no...

Aug 28, 2014, 10:31 AM

I don't really expect you to get it as the fan of an SEC team, but all teams in the SEC are not great and the bias has always been there. Anybody who is a fan of a team in another conference get tired of hearing about it.

For example, as the time ran out on the National Championship game last year and FSU was clearly going to win, Brent Musberger instead of talking about FSU's accomplishment starts talking about, "No matter the score, it was still a great season for the SEC."

That's garbage. You can count on a few things at the beginning of the season: Notre Dame, FSU, and the SEC is going to get hyped. What has happened most of the time the last few years is all of the above has flopped. Notre Dame doesn't produce, FSU falls short, and the SEC season culminates into a lopsided SEC Championship game by one team that is clearly better than everybody in the SEC and the rest of the country.

I just don't see what's unfair about it.

Aug 28, 2014, 10:35 AM

I mean, the high school kids should pick their school based on whatever criteria they want, unless the school is doing something against the rules to sway them. If the kid wants to go to Vanderbilt because he heard Musberger say the SEC was good, then oh well! If he wants to go Clemson because he heard Musberger say they had the Most Exciting 25 Seconds in College Football, then more power to him.

if it doesn't matter....

Aug 28, 2014, 10:43 AM

why do companies spend so much money on image, packaging, merchandising, and advertising?

I understand that recruits have different criteria, that's why I said earlier that if a player doesn't already have a favorite it's not important.

Because some players have different criteria is why some topnotch players choose schools other than SEC schools. I'm glad some kids have different things they are attracted to.

I'm not saying it doesn't matter,

Aug 28, 2014, 10:46 AM

I'm saying it's not unfair. I believe what the SEC has going on with ESPN is largely merit-based. The ESPN wouldn't want anything to do it if the SEC wasn't a real money-maker in football. So the task for teams in other conferences is to beat the SEC enough so that they become attractive enough to get the media attention. The media is all over FSU this year...why? Because they won.

The media is all over FSU EVERY year....

Aug 28, 2014, 11:02 AM

at the beginning of the season.

And you hit the nail on the head, it's all about money. It should not be. It is a collegiate sport. And while I know it does make money, if we aren't going to put any limits on it, let's just turn it into a professional sport and the schools or conferences that can spend the most money can run it.

I'm not sure the SEC is as dominant as you think they are. Do I think it's the best football conference? I do, but typically, like in every other conference, there are a small number of dominant teams, a few middle tier, and some lousy teams.

While the SEC overall may have a winning record in OOC games, they typically have a weaker OOC schedule than any other conference. The excuse of course is their SEC schedule is so tough. But the SEC's bowl record is rarely overwhelmingly better than other conferences.

Let's say the SEC is better than other conferences (which I have admitted that I think it is). What happens when ESPN, the biggest sports network creates a channel dedicated to it and no others? THE GAP BETWEEN CONFERENCES GETS BIGGER. I really think if you deny that, you aren't being honest with yourself.

The NCAA used to make rules to try to level the playing field. Many years ago, schools like Nebraska, Alabama, Oklahoma used to carry a roster of 100+ players. The NCAA created limits to make things more fair.

The NCAA used to come down hard on schools for violations. Penalties seem to not be as stiff or even nonexistent. Well, unless a coach molests someone that really has nothing to do with the performance on the field or trying to gain an unfair advantage.

The NCAA has quit being about the student athletes and has become about the money.

I guess I'm just resigned to the fact that it's about the $.

Aug 28, 2014, 11:05 AM

If the SEC having its own network is unfair, then what isn't unfair? There is enormous cash flying in every direction.

The SEC having it's own network isn't unfair...

Aug 28, 2014, 11:11 AM

The SEC having it's own network powered by ESPN is, IMO.

If conferences want to have a network, let them do it.

Aren't all the conference networks partnered with a big

Aug 28, 2014, 11:13 AM

media entity? The conferences don't do it on their own, do they?

there's not one game that i'd want to watch that couldn't

Aug 28, 2014, 10:13 AM

have been made available on one of the many espn channels, cbs, abc or other[internet].

i understand necessity, but i don't see where that existed.

so, are you pliable? you seem very pliable.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's just a TV channel.

Aug 28, 2014, 10:14 AM

People will watch if they want to, and not watch if they don't want to. It's not important enough to make a big deal over it.

That's exactly what you WANT us to believe!***

Aug 28, 2014, 10:22 AM

null

Well, it doesn't really matter to me what people believe

Aug 28, 2014, 10:24 AM

at least not about things like this.

Wait...THAT'S exactly what you want us to believe.***

Aug 28, 2014, 10:26 AM

null

LOL***

Aug 28, 2014, 10:26 AM

ok guys... this thread is now closed..... thanks for

Aug 28, 2014, 10:16 AM

playing.

Just trying to get a feel for the bored.

It's not closed. I'm still able to post in it.***

Aug 28, 2014, 10:17 AM

wait a minute... but I'm an Orange Level Donor***

Aug 28, 2014, 10:20 AM

Re: ok guys... this thread is now closed..... thanks for

Aug 28, 2014, 10:18 AM [ in reply to ok guys... this thread is now closed..... thanks for ]

who the #### are you talking to?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Well, it's pretty obvious I'm talking to everyone on the

interweb....

but I could be wrong

Sirius reply

Aug 28, 2014, 10:19 AM

Goods news is that Dawg fans will be able to use it to watch lowlights of their loss on Sattyday.

hth

Unless you guys start taking pride in your conference there will never be an ACC network.

Is this like Vandy could have won the Coastal?

It seems like this is like Vandy could have won the Coastal.

sec netwOrk, the o channel, qvc... all the

Aug 28, 2014, 10:23 AM

Same to me. Crap I don't want and don't want to pay for.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Aug 28, 2014, 10:32 AM

SEC Network is a propaganda machine that will destroy us. First off, it's providing boatloads of cash to our direct competitors, which making it difficult for us to keep up. However, the real evil is the exposure and message it will give our rivals that we can't counter. Whether you like it or not, our recruits will be watching the SECN, especially when the start showing recruiting oriented programming that mentions their names. these recruits, whether current HS Juniors & Seniors, or even middle school aged, we be getting indoctrinated to the SEC, its greatness, it coaches (i.e. last night Spurrier-fest), etc. Clemson and FSU are on the front lines because we recruit in the SEC states. and soon we'll be perceived as 2nd tier. problem is, if the ACC gets a network in the next few years, will it be football oriented like the SEC or will it revolve around basketball and womens field hockey?

If the ACC gets a network, it will revolve around

Aug 28, 2014, 10:37 AM

whatever makes the most money.

Re: If the ACC gets a network, it will revolve around

Aug 28, 2014, 11:27 AM

Jack Arute had a national sports business guy on his show earlier this week and they guy said the ACC has hired multiple consultants to help them w/ a network. he said ideally, they'd jump on w/ ESPN, but ESPN doesn't the capacity to take on another network and also wouldn't pay the ACC near what it's paying the SEC. ESPN's Charlotte facilities are maxed out w/ ESPNU and SECN. He said Swofford in studying it hard, but wouldn't make a haste decision, especially if it were perceived to be inferior deal to other conferences. he said most likely you'd see the ACC leverage Raycom for a regional network w/ a national digital (internet) platform. it won't come close to $$$ of the SEC, but it is some to build on. he said they need another network to step up and that there might be some big changes occurring w/ CBS Sports in the next couple of weeks. CBS has a long term deal w/ the NCAA basketball, which could be parlayed into more college presence.

I'm indifferent, it's going to turn into a Big Ten Network

Aug 28, 2014, 10:33 AM

It'll show the games of Kentucky/Vanderbilt for football, and then have basketball games and all the other sports that few care about.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

it's CSS with better promos

Aug 28, 2014, 10:43 AM

their 15,000 promo ads have not compelled me to switch over there yet. Why? To watch Finebaum? To see the 2007 Florida-Arkansas game? To see "The Book of Manning" for the 17th time?

When they show a live Bama-LSU game, I'll switch over there.

I'm not really concerned that will ever happen.
I've had the Big 10 Network for 5 years and watched it maybe twice. This will be basically the same.

Gotta be the change you want to see in the world, York.

Aug 28, 2014, 10:54 AM

I'm not calling on anyone to boycott anything, but I've been around the boards enough to know that some people think that they are force-fed a story about SEC glory and they are sick of it. For some, it legitimately detracts from their enjoyment of college football. If someone truly believes this, it's not unreasonable to avoid supporting something that blatantly advances that narrative. Economics: If the value of seeing the "premier" kick-off game of the 2014 season isn't worth the idea of contributing to the SEC financial and PR machine...even by 0.000000000001%...then they'll stay away from the SEC network.

null

Replies: 65
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic