Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ok. Please help an old cogger to understand. Does not both
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Ok. Please help an old cogger to understand. Does not both

Jan 21, 2015, 9:06 AM

teams play with the same 12 balls? If that is so, then how is it an advantage of one team over another even in the kicking game? Let's say the Colts kicker averages 45 yard per punt--the Pat Punter only 40. If an under inflated ball reduces the Colt kicker five yards to 40, it will also reduces the Pat kicker 5 yards to 35! Am I missing something? It's like one team complaining that the grass is too long! I really don't care for the Pats or Coach BB, but the argument seems strange about someone have an advantage.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger/Terrier

Re: Ok. Please help an old cogger to understand. Does not both

Jan 21, 2015, 9:08 AM

Each team provides something like 12 pre_game and 12 in game balls to be used by their own offense. So when NE had the ball they were using the ones they brought. Same for Colts.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 21, 2015, 9:57 AM

Same in College. We only use balls with a tiger paw on them. Opposing team has their own. When I was manager We used Spalding J-5V and J-6V. Other teams used Rawlings or whatever

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

From what has been talked about, my understanding is

Jan 21, 2015, 9:09 AM

that each team supplies 18 balls (6 for kicking), to the refs who check them prior to gametime then give them back to the respective teams.

So each team has their own stash of balls they're using

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

Ok, that makes sense. Then why don't they just mix the balls

Jan 21, 2015, 9:11 AM

so (no pun intended) that they play with each other's balls with no identifying marks.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger/Terrier

Lol oh boy, now it's a party.

Jan 21, 2015, 9:19 AM

That is something that has been talked about doing, in the nfl I think they use pretty much the same type of ball so it would make sense, whereas in college the team is using the ball from whatever athletic sponsor they have ie, Nike, Underarmour, etc...

Re: From what has been talked about, my understanding is

Jan 21, 2015, 9:19 AM [ in reply to From what has been talked about, my understanding is ]

Key part of your statement is that the balls are checked by officials, or at least are supposed to be. I doubt ball pressure had anything to do with the drubbing NE put on them, but I really don't much care. I'm not a follower of either team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Affecting the outcome of the game? Probably not.

Jan 21, 2015, 9:25 AM

But whatever happened happened BEFORE the outcome of the game was decided, so the Pats knowingly did something to gain a competitive advantage (aka cheat) between the refs checking the balls and when the Colts noticed it in the second quarter.

In my mind this is made into a much larger deal since there's already been a very large cheating scandel involving Belicheck* before with videogate. This shows a pattern of willingness to bend the rules or blatantly cheat in order to win and shows that he did not learn his lesson the first time and doesn't think it's a problem especially if he can get away with cheating. He's only going to keep doing things like this unless the nfl makes a very strong statement and make an example of him imo

Re: Affecting the outcome of the game? Probably not.

Jan 22, 2015, 12:14 AM

Don't really disagree, but I certainly don't know all the facts. I wonder how likely it would be that all the balls just happened to be flattened somehow. I don't know. Maybe someone did. Maybe Coach BB had something to do with it, but I just don't know if I buy into it. A player from the other team just happened to touch one of the balls, and he just happened to notice that it was not to his beliefs that the pressure was right? Not so fast, as Lou would say. I smell a rat, but I;m not sure who's rat I smell. Maybe NE is guilty. I'm not a fan, but it just sounds so far fetched, especially for a team that stomped a mud hole in its opponent. I doubt a couple of PSI of air had much to do with that. I guess we'll find out some day, but I doubt they do a darned thing before the Super Bowl to change things. JMO, of course. This could get interesting.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Each team provides the balls their offense uses.

No, they don't play with the same balls. Both teams have their own, which are inspected by referees before the game, which makes me think the Patriots tried really hard to cheat

Each team supplies their own balls.***

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

The Powerpuff League does not approve this comment.***

Jan 21, 2015, 9:52 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you notice on a turnover

Jan 21, 2015, 9:51 AM

Watch a Clemson football game closely during a turnover. If we get a fumble or interception, the ref will spot the ball that was in play and then replace with our ball. The ball the Tigers play with also have a paw on it.

The reason for that

Jan 22, 2015, 2:57 AM

is because just like uniforms each team has a different company that provides the footballs. The balls all meet the same NCAA required specs, but one team might use Wilson while the opponent uses Nike.

The NFL has one specific football that all teams use, Wilson's "The Duke". It makes no sense why the teams are involved in supplying balls when the NFL could simply supply all of the game balls themselves and eliminate controversies like this.

This isn't about footballs it's about fans.

Jan 21, 2015, 9:51 AM

Nothing attracts more fans and re-energizes the faithful more than drama. We football fans are notorious for being drama queens. Consider, if you please, all the SEC hype, hate and mistrust among college fans.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we?

Jan 21, 2015, 9:54 AM

shut yo mouf foo

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not the type of guy you'd want to pull a bank job with?***

Jan 21, 2015, 10:09 AM

if i woke up juan morning longing for jail time, then maybe.***

Jan 21, 2015, 10:17 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can't blame you, at least the view is nicer

Jan 21, 2015, 10:22 AM

when you drop the soap in Jamaica than it is in Shawshank

The real question here is

Jan 21, 2015, 9:53 AM

what is Indianapolis' excuse? The last 5 or 6 games NE has literally DESTROYED them...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

high school teams use their own balls during a game...

Jan 22, 2015, 12:49 AM

This Is NOTHING new.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic