Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ok I asked.. no answer
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Ok I asked.. no answer

Nov 14, 2018, 11:08 PM

I’ve heard all about Clemson’s homemade ice cream. Where do you purchase it. Is it only in the stadium or where... will go good with a PIE hint

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Local Ingles stores were selling it***

Nov 14, 2018, 11:11 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Local Ingles stores were selling it***

Nov 14, 2018, 11:13 PM

Lol thank you so
Much.. I was looking more for at the game . We don’t have ingles in Summerville eithet

Nov 14, 2018, 11:14 PM

Don’t they sell it at the Class of 55 ice cream place in the Hendrix student center?
It’s the other side of campus from the stadium though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Nov 14, 2018, 11:22 PM

Thank you.. that might be something I try next trip

Nov 14, 2018, 11:26 PM

https://www.clemson.edu/cafls/departments/icecream/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Nov 14, 2018, 11:29 PM

Thank you

a few decades ago

Nov 14, 2018, 11:29 PM

Would go to the ag center and get ice cream and blue cheese. (Not together lol).
Yum.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: a few decades ago

Nov 14, 2018, 11:32 PM

Lol definitely not

Nov 15, 2018, 1:10 AM [ in reply to a few decades ago ]

OMG, on a warm or hot day especially. About 1979 or 1980 maybe? Wasn't the IBM Msinframe and computer center right across the sidewalk from an Ag Center store? I seem to remember walking over to pick up a job printout, and then across the sidewalk to pick up the ice cream which made me feel better about my not so efficient Freshman or Sophomore FORTRAN code which started from key punch machines onto those old card decks. We were not initially allowed to use the terminals and keyboards.

I would have the SYSOP in the Math building (Martin Maybe?) route my last jobs over to the main center since I was going back off campus home that direction. Always big IBM and DEC Van's outside on the grass, right? Anyone remember those? I think i have the locations right...

Message was edited by: Greenwar®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 15, 2018, 7:42 AM

OMG SQUARED! What a flashback Greenwar®! Although I didn’t do the ice cream piece, I spent MANY hours down in the basement - pretty sure it was Martin - on those keypunch machines. And THEN more hours scrutinizing every card after my program wouldn’t run ( aaarrrggghhh!!!! ) looking for a comma that should have been a period, etc., etc.!

When I was there, they had just put in the CRTs, and you would pass the room where they were, lusting over the chance to get on one of those jewels...

... yes, as you say: ‘a few decades ago’. I started out E&CE, then they split off Computer Science midway during my time (‘77 - ‘81), and I graduated EE.

Wouldn’t change it for the world - thanks for refreshing the memory!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Nov 15, 2018, 7:54 AM

Also, takes me back. As I recall there was limited selection on flavors, chocolate, vanilla, maybe strawberry, but it was amazing.

I also remember having to drop off your punch cards and having to go back later after the GAs 'had time ' to run your program. Generally after they were finished playing around. The profs would tell you if you needed help just ask a GA, yea right. I also remember the students who didn't put sequence numbers on their cards, and they were the ones most likely to drop their cards.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2018, 4:44 PM

OMG, I would have failed every attempt if I had not included Sequence Numbers - dropped my desks all of the time. Majored in Accounting, but I took as many extra hours as I could get in CS. Helped me so much; today I am a CISSP for a Government Contractor and understand the underlying vulnerability vectors better than most I run into...

Thanks - and yes, flavors were limited. I am here in Knoxville for a while and asked my wife to grab some at a local Ingles - let's see what flavors they have... keep ya posted !

Oops - just saw that the Ingles Stuff is not Ag Center - oh well, those were the days !

Message was edited by: Greenwar®

Nov 16, 2018, 4:38 PM [ in reply to Re: a few decades ago ]

Beautiful Guys and glad to take you back! I still had pblms once I graduated to the terminals. I used to go to Riggs because it seemed that I could get a free one there most anytime. They had the Blue color as opposed to the amber or the green I think. Anyway, once, I had a job die on like, line 2 over and over, no matter what I did. Finally went to my grad student professor, and he logged in on his terminal (in Martin) and displayed the entire line in Hex. Turned out I somehow got some odd non printable / invisible character inserted into line 2. Once he cleared that character, my job ran great...

Thanks to all of you who took me back as well. There is a video on you tube where they revived a System 360 and used punch cards to run FORTRAN if you get a chance to search for it...

If it was three decades ago

Nov 15, 2018, 8:09 AM [ in reply to a few decades ago ]

You probably met my wife. Went there for many milkshakes in the late 80s!

If I may, down here at Litchfield, it is made quite clear

Nov 14, 2018, 11:40 PM

that the Clemson Ice Cream is sold only at Lowes' here on the island. It shall only be sold at the Lowes' at the entrance to Pawley's. Oh well, I shall survive at the Bi-Lo at Litchfield BTS...good day picking anything else.

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Re: Ok I asked.. no answer

Nov 15, 2018, 12:54 AM

So just to be accurate. The ice cream in the groceries IS NOT Clemson ice cream!

‘55 Exchange is the only place you can get “CLEMSON” ice cream. The stuff in the store is made by a company that bought the licensed to use the name “Clemson’s Best”. It has not other association with Clemson and is not the icream made by the food science dept.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 15, 2018, 7:53 AM

The best was at the Ag Center back when I was in school '77-'82. The ice cream couldn't be sold commercially because of the milk fat content was higher than the FDA allowed. (which is what made the taste so good) I'm not sure if the ice cream at the student center now is the same as the ice cream at the AG center back then but I bought some a few years ago while at a game and I didn't think it was as good. Of course 30 years had passed and maybe my memory had faded through the years. At the Ag Center I remember it being the best ice cream I had ever tasted, at the Student Center a few years ago it didn't strike me as being the best I have ever tasted.

Message was edited by: TigerBill82

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2018, 4:43 PM

Which one are you talking about? Clemson's Best or the Class of '55 Exchange? Because they are not the same.

https://clemsonsbest.com/

https://www.clemson.edu/cafls/departments/icecream/

FYI ___ LINK**

Nov 16, 2018, 4:54 PM

https://clemsonsbest.com/tiger-orange-vanilla/

Nov 16, 2018, 5:06 PM

Way back in the 1950's the ice cream shop was in a small building in the middle of the campus. Every two or three years the older students would pull a prank on the new students. They would announce in Harcombe that the power in the ice cream shop was off and the ice cream was beginning to melt, The students were encouraged to get a container, rush to the ice cream shop and get all the ice cream they wanted. Naturally, there was a stampede and when the students got to the ice cream shop discovered it was a hoax.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic