Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Obviously just one game, but Bryant looks like our 4th best QB.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Obviously just one game, but Bryant looks like our 4th best QB.

Apr 14, 2018, 3:16 PM

This is not to discount all of his skills, and his successes for us in the past. But our coaches are really going to have to earn their salaries on this one. They have a QB who won 12 games for us last year, and led us to an ACC championship and a CFP berth, and is a senior and respected leader on our team. But they also have several other QBs who aren’t experienced on the college level but who are arguably more talented than Bryant when it comes to QB skills (especially passing).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Obviously just one game, but Bryant looks like our 4th best QB.

Apr 14, 2018, 3:17 PM

Not arguably. Hunter and Trevor are significantly better.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with you. Just trying to be nice.***

Apr 14, 2018, 3:22 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Apr 14, 2018, 3:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Obviously just one game, but Bryant looks like our 4th best QB. ]

It’s the spring game

Apr 14, 2018, 3:18 PM

Its only the 1st quarter..................but I agree. He has to be able to hit WIDE open receivers. He missed at least 3 so far.

In his defense, KB feels the pressure and is pressing

Apr 14, 2018, 3:21 PM

way too hard.

But there's a reason he's having to press.

My gut tells me that either Lawrence or Johnson will be at the controls come September. I just hope we find a place on the field for KB. He's too good to sit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It doesn’t even look like he will start game one.***

Apr 14, 2018, 3:23 PM

Apr 14, 2018, 3:23 PM

To be fair to KB, the QBs not being live is a major factor. The strength of his game is running. Without that, he is at a significant disadvantage.

Apr 14, 2018, 3:25 PM

Oh go sing that song somewhere else, Alabama shut that ?? down so fast it was embarrassing

Apr 14, 2018, 3:31 PM

You pulling against a clemson play. Wow

And to be realistic, a QB who can be neutralized that easily

Apr 14, 2018, 3:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Obviously just one game, but Bryant looks like our 4th best QB. ]

shouldn’t be starting for an elite college football program. We have too much QB talent to settle for a QB who can’t throw medium to long range passes with any accuracy. We have progressed beyond Danny Ford’s offenses.

Re: And to be realistic, a QB who can be neutralized that easily

Apr 14, 2018, 4:17 PM

agreed - he is extremely talented and could seriously start at 90% of the other programs. He would be the starter at any program in sec, easily. Just not here - and that’s not a slight. it’s just the nature of the clemson qb postition right now.

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

KB is the 3rd/4th best at throwing but he has the best wheel

Apr 14, 2018, 3:45 PM

wheels too. If you haven't been paying attention Clemson has had a running QB for the last 8 years so you can't just ignore that. Also it's a lot easier for the young QB's to look comfortable when they know they are not getting hit.

I think we are blessed enough to have 3-4 QB's that can win 11+ games this year. I don't think anyone KNOWS which can "only" win 11 vs 14.

KB proved last year he could start for an elite team.

That being said Lawrence looks like the best on the field to me.

Having QBs who can run is great, but not when they are one dimensional.

Apr 14, 2018, 3:57 PM

Boyd and Watson could run, but they were primarily passers and we ran an up tempo, mostly pass first offense. Last year, due to Bryant’s deficiencies in the passing game, we were limited and became a run first slower paced offense. As a result, our offensive numbers suffered and it hurt us a lot in the playoffs. If not for our great defense, our offense would’ve kept us out of the playoffs and possibly prevented us from winning the ACC as well.

I like KB. He did an admirable job last year. He is a leader and obviously a good runner. But our QB must be able to pass, and if he can’t then we won’t be winning any playoff games.

Re: Having QBs who can run is great, but not when they are one dimensional.

Apr 14, 2018, 4:07 PM

Good point, and Elliott’s emphasis on tempo could be telling.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WL

Clemson is a balanced offense, 50/50 by design and intent.

Apr 14, 2018, 4:31 PM [ in reply to Having QBs who can run is great, but not when they are one dimensional. ]

theChad brought balance and the desire to wrench opposing teams with either, run or pass, making his opposing number, DC, choose his poison with 5-6 DBs and suffer from the run. Or go bigger, more traditional, and take quick hits to the outside with extensions of the run game in fast hitting screens, timing routes, RPOs and run the risk of getting caught with big personnel against high-octance tempo and volume plays.

% Pass Plays Since theChad

2010-11 50
2011-12 51.9
2012-13 45.9
2013-14 48.9
2014-15 47.2
2015-16 43.3
2016-17 52.8
2017-18 45.4

Some of the above is opp. DC making choices, coaches choosing to tank it - protect ball or run clock and of course the odd games where happenstance has called for balance to be sent to the shower early.

I don't care which QB starts, the offense will remain balanced and hopefully ScElliott will continue to push smash mouth spread, something theChad talked about, promised but never, really, truly accomplished.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't know if I'd say 4th best,

Apr 14, 2018, 4:15 PM

But he is definitely the 4th best passer so far. I've stayed out of this QB debate for the most part, but Lawrence is really passing the "eye test" right now.
I don't get paid to make the decisions on who plays, but I gotta believe that if I were the coaches I'd have a hard time not very seriously considering TL as my starter come fall.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic