Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
OK, here's the answer to the Donnal question
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

OK, here's the answer to the Donnal question

Feb 19, 2018, 1:25 PM

He struggles to guard athletic big men like Carter. Thomas could guard him solo. This allowed Skara to guard Allen almost the entire second half, and pretty much shut him down. We went defense over offense hoping Devoe and Reed would get hot. Neither really did.

Duke played three guards most of the game, and without Mitchell that put us at a distinct disadvantage. Trapp had foul trouble and let's be honest, isn't quite ready for extended minutes. We tried to mix and match between Simms, and a little of William and Spencer to adjust, it just wasn't enough.

Donnal is a nice bench player, but defense, especially quickness, is not his strength. We lose a ton defensively when he is in and Thomas is out

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’m glad that this issue finally has some clarity.

Feb 19, 2018, 1:30 PM

I’m sure This will end the discussion. Thanks.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It should, it was the truth...The football fans probably

Feb 19, 2018, 1:33 PM

still don't understand it

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bringing clarity is my gift

Feb 19, 2018, 1:37 PM [ in reply to I’m glad that this issue finally has some clarity. ]

What can I say ??

Bringing clarity is my gift

Feb 19, 2018, 1:37 PM [ in reply to I’m glad that this issue finally has some clarity. ]

What can I say ??

Re: So it bears repeating ?

Feb 19, 2018, 3:11 PM

NM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wanted to be clear about it

Feb 19, 2018, 3:32 PM

??

Thought Skara played his #### off and thank you for not...

Feb 19, 2018, 1:33 PM

crying about the refs.

:)

Hope you're well striper! And let it be known I'm not the one to give you a hard time about a basketball post in the football forum.

Be well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thought Skara played his #### off and thank you for not...

Feb 19, 2018, 1:40 PM

More than any game this year I thought Skara showed why Brad calls him our best defender, by far

Yep, and how many more points would Duke have

Feb 19, 2018, 2:09 PM

scored if: 1) Thomas wasn't in to protect the rim like he did yesterday; or 2) Skara wasn't in to guard Gracie Allen?

Sure, maybe Donnal scores another 10 for us, but that still wouldn't have been enough. Now Thomas converting some of those point blank misses into points and maybe it's a different story...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Yep, and how many more points would Duke have

Feb 19, 2018, 2:36 PM

Big men missing point blank is a long time issue. Except for Trevor you have to go back to maybe Sharrod Ford

Agree. The point was, if he hits those we probably win

Feb 19, 2018, 3:09 PM

But if you take Thomas out of the game and substitute his defense for Donnal's offense we probably get crushed in the paint and have no chance at winning.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Yep, and how many more points would Duke have

Feb 19, 2018, 3:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Yep, and how many more points would Duke have ]

yep the closer we are the more trouble and at times we have no clue what to use the backboard for

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But that isn't what happened when he was in is it? Weren't

Feb 19, 2018, 2:12 PM

we up?

We have to go by what happened not what we think would happen. Surely he deserved a few more minutes, if nothing else that keeps Thomas fresh and able to play more aggressive.

Re: But that isn't what happened when he was in is it? Weren't

Feb 19, 2018, 2:31 PM

Donnal was 4-4, 2-2 From three. Great lift! You think K isn't making adjustments to account for that. Allen scored 17 in the first half, Skara was our adjustment. It worked. Our ball handling was sub par because our PG was out, and our shooting was off, I believe in large part because our shooters were having to run the point.

We weren't going to outscore Duke down two starters. Had to make it a grind it out game with defense. When down 10 in the second half it was holding Duke scoreless for 5 minutes that allowed us to have the ball with a chance to take the lead. We just couldn't finish offensively down key players. Duke backed up their best player who was out with a McDonald's AA. We obviously can't do that

We had a decent 9 man rotation with Grantham & Mitchell

Feb 19, 2018, 2:22 PM

(Thomas, Devoe & Reed) - off the bench Skara, Donnal, Trapp and Simms.

Down two starters, not really fair to criticize CBB on lineup.

Admittedly frustrated with foul on late three pointer but gets pass on lineup IMO.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And we've already shown we can win with just

Feb 19, 2018, 2:33 PM

Grantham out. Need Shelton to get well quickly!

Re: OK, here's the answer to the Donnal question

Feb 19, 2018, 3:36 PM

Never really questioned the second half but I still think he should have gone back in the first half. At 10 minute mark and on fire, why not sit him a couple minutes and bring him back in until dook shuts it down. Different opinions on what may or may not happened. That’s all.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You aren’t the only person questioning this. Makes perfect

Feb 19, 2018, 8:33 PM

sense. The commentators were puzzled as well as their comments stated several times.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic