Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
OK. Here's My Take
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

OK. Here's My Take

Oct 11, 2020, 2:00 PM

After the game was over and I had a few minutes to digest the game and all of the "Canes are Back" hype during the past week, I got in my bed. Sometimes that's the best place for me to do some solid thinking. The hype reminded me of a story I heard a long time ago. There was a beautiful young lady in this small southern town. Every lady in the town was hoping she would marry their son, nephew or good friend. Hence, she was introduced to many prospects. Sometime later she did marry one of the young men and the newly married couple moved to the big city. A couple of years later, the young lady returned home but without her husband. The nosey busybodies wanted to know why he was not there and she informed them she had divorced him. Wanting to know more. one of the busy bodies asked "why" and the young lady's response said he was the "most over-introduced" person she had ever known.

That's the type hype we've heard all week leading up to the game "The Canes are Back", "Lok for a possible upset", "The Canes will play them tough", "Bet the spread, no way Clemson can stop the Canes high octane offense averaging a conference best 499 yards per game", "The Tiger's defense is young and suspect", etc, etc, etc,

Last week I wrote that I believed we were intentionally playing vanilla to confuse Miami's game preparation. It now appears that was a correct assessment. I don't claim to be the only one who came to that conclusion, most posters on this board made the same or similar assessments.

Now to the Canes. They continue to have considerable talent but are undisciplined, still have that "thug" mentality and the "Turn Over Chain" speaks of "glitz" and "chrome", more attuned to an elementary school project. The overall culture in no way compares with that at Clemson. These do sound like harsh criticisms but that's the only way I can phrase it.

The Tigers? They came to play. 210 yards of offense for the Canes and about half of that was attributed to two plays, a long run in the first half and long pass in the second half. The Tigers played with fire nd were flying to the ball. The DB's looked much better and our LBs are improving. I tend to think when we are playing vanilla we tend to "slack off" and not play to our potential.

Overall, we were not perfect but we got a good idea of this team's potential and we should keep improving as the season progresses. GO TIGERS !!!!!

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: OK. Here's My Take

Oct 11, 2020, 2:25 PM

Good performance by both sides of the ball, but Dabo, please don't attempt any more 60+ yard field goals with less than a minute in the half, unless you you need it to win.
I know people will say how do you know if you can kick one that far if you don't try but we didn't need it.
All it did to me was add a few more grey hairs to my 70 year old head of hair.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 11, 2020, 8:50 PM

Doesn’t matter if it’s a 30 or 60 yard field goal. If the protection breaks down. It will get blocked.

Oct 12, 2020, 11:07 AM

OK, I can respect your take, but why even try it when the odds are so against it at that point in the game, the risk more than outweighs the gain!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 11, 2020, 2:39 PM

Nice post Joe. Your criticism of Miami is both accurate and justified IMO. If we were playing vanilla in the first few weeks to put less on film for Miami, then I think that is just smart game planning. That also likely means they will be doing the same between now and the Notre Dame game. I expect us to be working out some of the kinks for the next few weeks before we really hit our stride, and that's okay IMO.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Oct 11, 2020, 2:54 PM

Certainly agree.
With regard to post on attempting field goal. I am all for it. Nothing wrong with the decision. That was an execution issue that must be fixed. It exposed us - better now than later.

Oct 11, 2020, 3:02 PM

I don't think the Tigers got much passed the first page of the playbook last night. They really played well on both sides of the line. As far as the field goals, they need get better blocking on the line to stop the defensive players from running through it. 2 of the blocks came from the same player coming through. I know they will work on that this week.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 11, 2020, 10:31 PM [ in reply to Re: OK. Here's My Take ]

The longer the field goal by necessity the lower the projection of the ball leaving the kickers foot, which makes the kick more likely to be blocked. Also I think the odds of Trevor Lawrence completing a touchdown pass or having pass interference called was much better than odds of Potter making a 61 yard field goal in the rain. Not a good decision.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 11, 2020, 2:58 PM

Agree. By the time we play Norte Dame, Coach V should have the young #11 experience enough
to turn him loose in the middle and have #3 back in lineup at DE.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Their thuggery is back. Their trophies are still MIA.***

Oct 11, 2020, 3:07 PM

Joe, my wife wanted to know why I was laughing...

Oct 11, 2020, 8:44 PM

...so I read her your assessment of the turnover chain looking like an elementary school project.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Joe, my wife wanted to know why I was laughing...

Oct 11, 2020, 9:13 PM

I was about to make a similar comment. Love the "elementary school project!"
What a blessing Joe has been to his country and to Tigernet.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2020, 11:02 AM

As usual, Joe hits the nail square on the head, and that is my most honest opinion!!! As we also know, most of our most valued thoughts come from the comforts of our Bed!!!

We got their best shot. But it wasn't good enough- Period***

Oct 12, 2020, 11:18 AM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Re: We got their best shot. But it wasn't good enough- Period***

Oct 12, 2020, 1:22 PM

Not even close!!! To be honest, with all the BS talk the week prior to this game with Miami, I and most T-netters thought this was going to be a good game that would test out Tiger team and give our coaches something more to work on with the team and get them better prepared for postseason.

To be honest, UVA was more of a challenge for our Tigers than Miami was IMO. With all the talent that Miami has, I think that our coaches also thought they would be more of a challenge also, and that was their reasons for holding back with what they let Miami see prior to our match up.

For whatever the reasons were, Miami just didn't challenge our team with anything other than cheap shots in an attempt to throw our team and coaches off their game plan, and that didn't even come close to working bc our guys have seen that before with the coots, and how well has that type of game worked for them. I guess Miami didn't pay close attention, or they thought they were better at playing dirty than the coots were everytime we played them!!!

I do hope that somebody will test us before postseason championship games comes along, bc our guys do need to be challenged so that we don't walk into postseason bored and unprepared without having any serious adversity before the playoffs!!!

Oct 12, 2020, 2:21 PM

ND may be the challenge you folks wish for. We shall see.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2020, 5:15 PM [ in reply to Re: We got their best shot. But it wasn't good enough- Period*** ]

As Red Barber, the long time New York Yankee announcer, would say, Clemson in sitting in the "catbird" seat. Every team remaining on our schedule will give us their best shot. And that's as it should be. It requires us to be alert and remain focused on every game regardless of our opponent's record. In so doing, we become a better team, prepared for the different offensive and defensive schemes we will face plus a little trickery thrown in for excitement. I believe we are at the point now where we can look back and pencil in Virginia as our possible 2020 season trap game. From now on, it's our "meat and potato" schedule.

We have a history of starting slow as we are building depth and then finding out who will be our starters and primary back-ups. In November, the team begins to "jell" and work as a close knit group. We have yet to see the full potential of this team but I believe by early November we will be truly amazed at this team. Getting some of our injured players back will be an added bonus. Our greatest fear in past years has been injuries to key personnel. This year we have the added fear of the virus. If we can avoid these two problems, the sky is the limit. GO TIGERS !!!!!

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I concur.***

Oct 12, 2020, 5:24 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic