Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
O Line Depth
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1,979

O Line Depth

Dec 11, 2018, 10:51 AM

2019 This looks like a solid starting group to me

LT: Jackson Carmen (soph) backup: Noah Dehond (soph)
LG: John Simpson (Sr.) backup: Bockhorst (soph)
C: Cervenka (Sr.) backup: Giella (Sr.)
RG: Pollard (Sr.) backup: Stewart (Jr.)
RT: Anchrum (Sr.) backup: Vinson (soph)

2020: another solid 2 deep outside of RG/LG backup

LT: Carmen (Jr.) backup: Dehond (Jr.)
LG: Bockhorst (Jr.) backup: Rayburn (*RS FR)
C: Cade Stewart (Sr.) backup: Putnam (*RS FR) just a guess
RG: Jordan McFadden (Soph) backup: ??? most likely someone from 2020 class (freshman) or Rayburn
RT: Vinson (Jr.) backup: Chandler Reeves (Sr.)

2021: starts getting a little hairy with a lot of young guys in the 2nd group. But I think Tchio and Parks are studs and will be great assets along the 2 deep.

LT: Dehond (assuming Carmen leaves) backup: Paul Tchio (RS FR or Soph)
LG: Bockhorst (Sr) backup: Rayburn (Soph)
C: Putnam (Soph) backup: ???
RG: McFadden (Jr. backup: ??? 2020 class or Rayburn
RT: Vinson (Sr.) backup: Walter Parks (RS FR)

2022: This is where the 2020 and 2021 class will be important.

LT: Tchio (Soph) backup: John Williams (RS Soph)
LG: Rayburn (Jr.) backup: ???? 2020 class or 2021 class
C: Putnam (Jr.) backup: ??? 2020 class or 2021 class
RG: McFadden (Sr) backup: ??? 2020 class or 2021 class
RT: Parks (Soph) backup: ??? 2020 class or 2021 class

I had to put this to paper just so I could see where the potential lack of depth could come into play with our Oline takes the last two classes. Potentially it could start with the 2021 season. However we've already got 3 Olinemen for the 2020 class and are targeting 2-3 more. Also Carmen could always return for the 2021 season which would be great.

After this current early signing period it'd be great if we could add another OT that we can develop (Dawson) or somebody that we can flip like the kid that just decommitted from NCSU (although I think he ends up at Louisville).

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: O Line Depth

Dec 11, 2018, 11:01 AM

I thought Tchio was supposed to be a guard

i could see him at guard

Dec 11, 2018, 12:00 PM

he's listed as T on recruiting sites. Even better if he is a guard. I think Parks and Williams are going to be good tackles.

Rayburn is a Center. He was intentionally moved to Center

Dec 11, 2018, 11:24 AM

by his HS this year as that is what position Clemson wants him to play

also, we often go with only 8 guys total on the 2 deep with

Dec 11, 2018, 11:31 AM

guys cross-trained and maybe 1 guard backing up one side and the other guy being able to slide over, etc. Usually if we play more than 7-8 OL then that means the game is out of hand and we're building depth, have other guys we're not redshirting. This year has probably been the most liberal with OL substitution but part of that probably had to do with 2 diff style QBs to open the season and the play calling wasn't the same. We haven't been as liberal with that position on subbing as we are with WR/RB/DL/LB/S. There is a reason for that- less guys changing/more consistency/jelling that occurs. No cohesiveness in OL, means a hurt QB. OL and QB are probably the closest positions as far as subbing patterns. You just aren't going to do mass subs unless injury is dictating that.

Re: also, we often go with only 8 guys total on the 2 deep with

Dec 11, 2018, 11:37 AM

Why add Putman to our two deep. He hasn't committed yet

Re: also, we often go with only 8 guys total on the 2 deep with

Dec 11, 2018, 1:01 PM

How long you been on Tnet? Silly junk like this is done all the time here.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2018, 11:35 AM

Mcfadden is a tackle, Putnam is a guard, DeHond has yet to play a snap because of injury, and if we’re having to rely on true freshmen on the 2 deep in 2020 that’s not a good thing.

Dec 11, 2018, 11:38 AM

That depends on how good the freshman are. Hyatt as a starter and Carman, Pollard, & Anchrum as backups were not problems as true freshmen.

Dec 11, 2018, 12:09 PM

Hyatt and Carman were both 5* tackles and really Carman wasn’t ready to be stsrting until November because he needed to get his body right. So about 1/5 of the non 5 star linemen that we’ve signed have been ready to contribute from the jump

Dec 11, 2018, 12:33 PM

I agree, but in 2014 it would have been true to say that we did not recruit linemen who were ready day 1. Then we got Hyatt. Now we have moved to 1/5 are ready day 1. If we continue to improve and can say by 2020 that 2/5 or better are ready then I think we will feel much better about our o-line situation.

I would guess that teams who have 1/3 ready day 1 would be considered elite o-line recruiters. There isn't a huge difference between that and where we are.

Finishing this year strong and adding to 2020 is vital.

Dec 11, 2018, 1:16 PM

I think to feel good with our OL depth in 2020 we are going to have to need 3 freshmen to enroll early and be ready to contribute from the jump. Now I think that lines up to when we have an uncharacteristically easy non-con schedule too so that could work in our favor.

I don’t think the sky is falling or that we’re in grave danger. I just think there are a couple minor tweaks that can be made to be a little more efficient and set ourselves up better so we’re not relying on 2-3 true freshmen out of a 6 person OL class to contribute from day 1.

I’m not out here calling for Caldwell’s job or saying Dabo doesn’t know what he’s doing. I feel very fortunate to be a Clemson alum (the best kind of Clemson fan) and have seen the massive upward trajectory of the program and just want to see it stay on that path.

PS the alum aside was a joke so don’t crawl down my throat about it.

Dec 11, 2018, 1:21 PM

I think we basically agree on where the o-line stands and where we want to see it go.

I think the only thing we disagree on is that I don't mind taking 2 in a class as long as the staff corrects the numbers (acceptable in down years); where you feel strongly about 3-4 per class to keep guys prepared (ideal if talents agrees to sign with you).

Dec 11, 2018, 2:07 PM

Fair assessment. I’d take 3 quality OL every class as I don’t think there’s a year, even this one, where we shouldn’t be able to land 3 four or high-three stars and then pick up an occasional Hyatt or Carman.

IMO it’s just a tweak in our offer system and to go after the 4 stars like we’re going after the 5 stars we keep missing on. If this class ended up being Harry Miller, Putnam, and Rayburn I feel a lot different about it.

i couldnt remember if Rayburn or Putnam was

Dec 11, 2018, 12:03 PM [ in reply to Re: O Line Depth ]

going to end up at Center. I know Putnam hasn't committed yet, but I feel good about him.

Dehond will have to heal up for sure, but I think he'll contribute on two deep by next season. I think Parks and Williams could pass him at some point. could if he doesn't get his shoulder right.

2020 has some question marks, but will have experience in key places on the line.

2021 is where I start to worry and where the next 2 classes will come into play.

2020 already looks pretty sketchy to me***

Dec 11, 2018, 11:45 AM

Re: 2020 already looks pretty sketchy to me***

Dec 11, 2018, 12:21 PM

When you're projecting two years out. It's hard not to look a little sketchy. That projected right side hasn't really played yet.

There is a 50/50 chance Cooper Dawson will be in the 2019

Dec 12, 2018, 11:22 AM

class and the staff really likes him and his versatility. Could be one of your 2 deep guys as RS FR in 2020

Replies: 17
| visibility 1,979
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic