Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Not in top 39
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 45
| visibility 1

Not in top 39

May 6, 2014, 1:56 PM

Dennis Dodd:

Post-spring Top 25: Welcome back to the top spot, Alabama
May 6, 2014 10:11 am ET

The last time this happened at Alabama, Nick Saban called his team everything but slackers.

The Tide in 2010 had the temerity to go 10-3 a year after winning it all in 2009. Properly scolded, Alabama then won two more titles in a row and were gunning for a third until Chris Davis decided to return that missed field goal on Nov. 30.

You can bet a two-game losing streak to end the season -- the first since 2008 at Bama (also under Saban) -- will not be tolerated. Welcome back, then, Tide. Welcome back -- at least in this modest space -- to the top of the post-spring top 25.

With the rest of the world talking about Gus' tempo, Stanford's physicality and Jameis' choice in seafood, we prefer to go with an old standard.

Never bet against a pissed-off Nick.

1. Alabama: The free-agent signing -- er -- transfer of Jacob Coker makes sure the circle will be unbroken for the Tide. They'll contend and possibly win it all. This may be Saban's best group of tailbacks -- T.J. Yeldon, Derrick Henry and Kenyan Drake. New offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin is in a perfect spot. He'll only call plays the head coach wants. That seems to have worked well in the past. Oh, yeah, and Auburn comes to T-Town.

2. Ohio State: Have we forgotten the Buckeyes are 24-2 in Urban Meyer's two seasons? Have we forgotten Ohio State is getting ready to run away and hide from the rest of the Big Ten? Call the Bucks The Team That America Forgot. Braxton Miller is a year older. Ohio State misses Wisconsin, Nebraska and Iowa out of the reconfigured West Division. Biggest issue: Will strength of schedule sting the Bucks? Not with the national championship field doubled to four. That gets them into the playoff. Meyer, Miller etc. take it from there.

3. Florida State: Mr. Shellfish went to the Crab 'N Go. Feel free to call the pun abuse hotline. It just seems to get worse and worse for Jameis "Alaskan King" Winston. A wonderful talent on the field, he's becoming a time bomb off of it. Yes, the Noles are absolutely loaded, but Winston's "youthful ignorance" (his words) is enough to keep them out of the top spot.

4. Oregon: There was too much scrutiny for a new coach (Mark Helfrich) who won 11 in his initial season. Helfrich will carry Chip Kelly's torch just fine. Marcus Mariota's return makes the Ducks a playoff contender. Watch tailback Byron Marshall (1,038 yards) and new defensive coordinator Don Pellum. Michigan State visits in the second week. Stanford visits Nov. 1. If the Ducks get past two of the more physical teams in the country, they'll be one of the best.

5. Oklahoma: It's amazing what a comeback against your in-state rival (Oklahoma State) and beating the King of Football (Saban) can do for the outlook. Bob Stoops believes he has a difference-making quarterback in Trevor Knight. Enough tailbacks to take pressure off Knight may be another thing. If you think Baylor, Kansas State and Oklahoma State are going to be Big 12 challengers, the road goes through Norman. All three play at OU.

6. Auburn: What does Gus Malzahn do for an encore? Probably compete for SEC titles for the next 10 years. Tre Mason and Greg Robinson are gone but there are eight returning starters on offense, including QB Nick Marshall. The schedule is brutal starting with a visit to Kansas State in Game 3. But this is the SEC, where 10-2 teams get every benefit of the doubt.

7. Michigan State: That was a defining moment in January when Kyler Elsworth stopped Stanford's Ryan Hewitt on fourth-on-1 in the Rose Bowl. There's still room in the game for smashmouth. The Spartans have won more games the past four years (42) than Ohio State and Wisconsin. Watch for Nov. 8 when Ohio State visits East Lansing.

8. South Carolina: Once upon a time, Steve Spurrier said he wouldn't coach this long. But the 69-year old Spur Dog has the Gamecocks challenging for the SEC East, even with the loss of Jadeveon Clowney and Connor Shaw. Three consecutive 11-win seasons, three consecutive top 10 finishes, a quarterback in his fifth year (Dylan Thompson). Yup, the Gamecocks could do it all again.

9. LSU: Les Miles has to replace an NFL quarterback (Zach Mettenberger) and two superb receivers (Odell Beckham Jr., Jarvis Landry), but at LSU they just keep pumping out NFL talent. A big, experienced offensive line will help Brandon Harris or Anthony Jennings take over for Mettenberger. It will be up to the rest of us to learn a whole new set of Tigers stars.

10. Stanford: There is no trickery with David Shaw. The Cardinal coach makes no apologies about lining up and beating your butt. This program could play in the SEC. It will settle for going to a third straight Rose Bowl. How much will the loss of defensive stars Shayne Skov and Trent Murphy hurt? DC Derek Mason also left for Vanderbilt.

11. Baylor: New stadium, brighter outlook. Pencil in quarterback Bryce Petty as a Heisman finalist. The fastest-playing team this side of Oregon will continue to scorch defenses. The question is whether 2013's sneaky-good defense can live up to expectations in '14.

12. UCLA: Jim Mora has success, security and a new football facility. He also has the goods to get double-digit wins at UCLA in consecutive seasons for the first time since 1998. The Bruins are dynamic with two-way Myles Jack and quarterback Brett Hundley. If Mariota isn't the best QB west of Winston, Hundley is.

13. Kansas State: The nation's oldest FBS coach (75 in October), Bill Snyder will be eligible for immediate inclusion into the College Football Hall of Fame in 2015. Snyder, though, doesn't look like he's slowing down. Jake Waters takes over full-time at quarterback.

14. Georgia: The past two years have been heartbreaking, whether it's been Alabama (2012) or Auburn (2013). Wouldn't it be ironic -- after Aaron Murray -- if Hutson Mason won the East. Todd Gurley gives the Dawgs a fighting, bashing, pounding chance.

15. Wisconsin: In Year Two, Gary Andersen is the new Bret Bielema, who was the old Barry Alvarez. The Badgers will continue to run it and try to squeeze out some quality quarterback play. We get a quick barometer in the opener against Wisconsin in Houston.

16. USC: Steve Sarkisian's arrival wasn't met with overwhelming approval, but sometimes steady is good. Cody Kessler nailed down the quarterback job. There is loads of offensive talent around him.

17. Arizona State: How hot is Todd Graham? The Pac-12 coach of the year has made as much in incentives (nearly $800,000) than about a third of the FBS coaches. The Sun Devils are just as hot, having won 10 and hosted the Pac-12 title last season. Consecutive Pac-12 South tests against UCLA (Sept. 25) and USC (Oct. 4) will tell us a lot.

18. Nebraska: Bo Pelini has lightened up. Did you see him carry the cat out for the spring game? Perhaps the Huskers will relax along with him. Pelini has his leading rusher (Ameer Abdullah) and receiver (Kenny Bell) back. It would be nice to win more than nine.

19. Texas: Charlie Strong laid down the law in replacing Mack Brown. The Horns will be tougher, more disciplined. It would help further if the regents butt out and David Ash is a difference-making quarterback.

20. Notre Dame: Everett Golson got his groove back. A lot will be on the academically rehabbed quarterback. Brian Kelly lost both coordinators and a load of defensive talent.

21. Cincinnati: Gunner Kiel had to land somewhere. The former can't-miss (ahem) quarterback will be surrounded by 16 starters returning from a 9-4 team. We'll know about the Bearcats Cinderella status after a Sept. 27 trip to Ohio State.

22. Texas A&M: In the post-Manziel era, Kyle Allen and Kenny Hill will compete for the starting job. The defense can't be that bad again, can it? Things get started with a bang as the Aggies play at South Carolina on Aug. 28.

23. Iowa: Hawkeyes should be 6-1 -- at worst -- on Nov. 1. The problem is the schedule is backloaded with Northwestern, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Nebraska in the final month.

24. Duke: The biggest news of the offseason seemed to be quarterback Brandon Connette's transfer to Fresno State. Two-time 1,000-yard receiver Jamison Crowder returns, along with the guy who helped Connette make his decision -- Anthony Boone. A schedule that starts with Elon, Troy, Kansas and Tulane will allow the Blue Devils a quick start.

25. BYU: The Cougars should challenge for that playoff bowl berth that goes to the best of the Group of Five. The entire backfield and offensive line return including 1,000-yard rushers Taysom Hill and Jamaal Williams.

Just outside the velvet rope: UCF, Florida, Houston, Louisville, Marshall, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon State, Penn State, Washington.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/24552506/post-spring-top-25-welcome-back-to-the-top-spot-alabama

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Re: Not in top 39

May 6, 2014, 1:57 PM

Dodd is not the brightest bulb in the pack

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dennis or Chris?

May 6, 2014, 3:22 PM

It's important.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

That's why we don't let him come to the family reunions...***

May 6, 2014, 3:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Not in top 39 ]

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There are not enough words in the English language

May 6, 2014, 2:01 PM

to express how much hatred I now have for Dennis Dodd. He is so profanely stupid, that I believe a nuclear apocalypse would be better for humanity than for him to publicly express any more thoughts.

People say this world is going down for good, and after reading this, I think I'm inclined to agree.

I'm so angry right now, there are spots in my vision. I need to take a minute to calm down.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He has you at #8, what're you whining about?***

May 6, 2014, 2:03 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

HIS OPINION DOES NOT MATCH MINE

May 6, 2014, 2:04 PM

DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE GRAVITY OF THIS SITUATION?

Leaving Clemson out of the top 39 is pretty atrocious,

May 6, 2014, 2:07 PM

would you not agree to that?

We're losing a few star players on offense, in positions that are pretty easy to replace.

Even if we have a drop off in offense, it won't be significant.

All the while returning most of our defense, which will be ranked in the top 10 most likely at the end of the year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I dunno, I can only name maybe two Clemson players

May 6, 2014, 2:09 PM

off the top of my head. And one of them got kicked off the team.

Come to think of it, I can't name many SC players either

May 6, 2014, 2:11 PM

I think the running back Davis is still there. And Dylan Thompson I know is. There's a linebaker named Sky something. And some receiver who was a freshman last year.

Fairly certain you know Cole Stoudt & Vic Beasley at the

May 6, 2014, 2:52 PM [ in reply to I dunno, I can only name maybe two Clemson players ]

very least. Only reason you'd know Kelly was because of his antics, not because of what he put on the field.

Oh, yeah I know Beasley.

May 6, 2014, 2:54 PM

I said off the top of my head, and at the time I posted that, his name wasn't off the top of my head.

I'm sure there are a lot of players I would recognize if you named them.

But is that your gauge to justify why it is acceptable

May 6, 2014, 3:05 PM

to leave Clemson out of the Top 39 teams of the country?

How many players can you list off FSU's team beyond Winston? How many on Alabama beyond TJ Yeldon? How many on Georgia's team beyond Gurley & Marshall?

No, it's my way of saying...

May 6, 2014, 3:07 PM

I have no idea where Clemson should be ranked. I don't know where any other teams should be ranked either. I'll decide where the teams should be ranked sometime in November.

I agree with this. Preseason polls are BS.

May 6, 2014, 3:08 PM

But to not even mention Clemson is ridiculous.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Well I agree with polls shouldn't be released until at least

May 6, 2014, 3:09 PM [ in reply to No, it's my way of saying... ]

5-6 games have been played, but Clemson is definitely a top 39 team. I'd even wager a top 20 team.

Clemson is at least top 15.

May 6, 2014, 3:10 PM

He totally forgot about Clemson is my only guess.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Forgot Clemson but remembered Duke?

May 6, 2014, 4:11 PM

Maybe he forgot it was football and thought it was basketball?

I love this guy

May 6, 2014, 2:46 PM [ in reply to There are not enough words in the English language ]

Tries to demonstrate the error of our logic through sarcastic retort. Let me try to communicate to you in a manner you will best understand. Trying to be the coolest bro on your rival's message board is in no way an exercise in futility, and by no means an indicator that you're compensating for numerous real-life deficiencies.

Re: I love this guy

May 6, 2014, 2:48 PM

Re: I love this guy

May 6, 2014, 2:51 PM [ in reply to I love this guy ]

I love your language skills.

- I wasn't being sarcastic I was being factual.

- I'll let you re-read your last sentence but, translated:

- you're telling me that trying to be cool is NOT an exercise in futility

- and "by no means" am I compensating for anything...so yeah, you're right...I'm not.

I hope your math skills are better than your english skills.

I hope they're better than your internet skills.***

May 6, 2014, 2:55 PM

Where do I begin with correcting your errors

May 6, 2014, 2:55 PM [ in reply to Re: I love this guy ]

First, the post wasn't a reply to you. Secondly, it's called sarcasm, such as "zeiganaut has absolutely no issues satisfying his wife/husband?" My math skills are turrible actually, but I'm missing the connection between this fact and our conversation.

derp derp derp***

May 6, 2014, 3:03 PM [ in reply to Re: I love this guy ]

Not necessarily a bad thing

May 6, 2014, 2:11 PM

UGA and FSU, and a UNC team that's ranked in every preseason poll Ive seen so far, all in the first month means where we stand after the first month will dictate how far we can move up. With this schedule preseason rankings are more or less just fodder, but having said that this guy is a dolt.

Re: Not necessarily a bad thing

May 6, 2014, 2:20 PM

Having the coots at number 8 shows how credible he is not. The coots have been over ranked for years and this year, they do not have that pansy schedule they have had for several years. Last year, they did not play the 4 best teams in the SEC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 6, 2014, 2:24 PM

> Having the coots at number 8 shows how credible he is
> not. The coots have been over ranked for years and
> this year, they do not have that pansy schedule they
> have had for several years. Last year, they did not
> play the 4 best teams in the SEC.

I think there is more of a question of the fact he's got TAMU in his Top 25. Their defense returns but it was a dumpster fire last year and their offense just left with his Heisman Trophy to the NFL; then considering A&M's schedule how do you put them in the Top 25?

May 6, 2014, 2:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Not necessarily a bad thing ]

Carolina played Mizzou at their place and won. Last time I checked, Mizzou played for the SEC Championship and lost one regular season game. To Carolina. Since we were the 4th best team that means we played UGA...so two of four.

I'll let you look up Carolina's schedule rank for the past five years and I'd love for you to post it vs. Clemson's schedule. "patsy". LMFAO.

Just curious

May 6, 2014, 2:50 PM

Do you really think you are going to change anyone's mind here? Even if your logic is sound, nobody will admit to it due to pride/stubbornness and therefore you will not be able to "get off" to the satisfaction if winning the internet. With this is mind, it is quite clear you're uncomfortable in your own skin. Therapy worked wonders for my aunt.

May 6, 2014, 3:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Not necessarily a bad thing ]

Missouri?

Come on dude don't give me Missouri. Not a team that never won 12 games until they moved to the SEC east. Your big bad division took a mediocre big 12 team and turned them to SEC east champs. South Carolina's been in the SEC how long?

You can't change the narravtive

May 6, 2014, 3:20 PM

You said Carolina didn't play the SEC's top four teams. By record, those would be: Alabama, Auburn, Mizzou, and South Carolina...UGA would be fifth. So two of four.

And Mizzou won twelve games including their bowl game. Not sure what else you can expect them to do...with a SOS higher than Clemson.

You really put Mizzou and UGA over LSU?***

May 6, 2014, 3:23 PM

May 6, 2014, 2:21 PM [ in reply to Not necessarily a bad thing ]

I'm trying to figure out how Dodd would make the conclusion to not even be included in the Top 39? He is obviously thinking at least 4 losses.

I know UGA and FSU are already favored, so we can see how he gets to two losses. Considering SCAR's ranking in his poll that would be 3 losses. But why would he think UNC would be a loss or even any other team on the schedule?

Even a 4 loss Clemson team will be in the top 39.***

May 6, 2014, 2:49 PM

I am thinking that this is a preseason poll***

May 6, 2014, 2:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Not necessarily a bad thing ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Absurd. Dodd must have really liked Tajh.

May 6, 2014, 3:05 PM

Not even an "honorable mention" for a team that beat the guys he lists as #2, and who return a ton of talent on defense and on the O-Line. Hard to explain.

null

I'm describing a "top 10" team here:

May 6, 2014, 3:56 PM

8. "[Clemson]: [Dabo Swinney] has the [Tigers] challenging for the [ACC Atlantic], even with the loss of [Sammy Watkins] and [Tajh Boyd]. Three consecutive 1[0]-win seasons, [two] consecutive top 10 finishes, [coming off a BCS Bowl win over a 24-1 Urban-Meyer-Coached OSU team,] a quarterback in his fifth year [(Cole Stoudt)]. Yup, the [Tigers] could do it all again. [Also, Vic Beasley, who had a much better season than Doo Doo is back].

I ain't saying we're a top 10 team but to leave us off the list entirely is just moronic.

Granted, pre-season polls don't mean #### and pre-season polls by a tool mean less, but when it's getting close to DT and the only football we have to enjoy is the freaking NFL draft, this is something to gripe about.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly***

May 6, 2014, 4:18 PM

Re: Exactly***

May 6, 2014, 4:40 PM

Where he says GoonCoots "could do it all again ".
Anyone ?
Do all of what again , exactly ? I am puzzled. What did they get , what BCS trophy did they win ? They don't get to claim another BCSNC , because their conference's team couldn't get it done.
I am just curious as to what that 3rd tier Do Nothing Have Nothing team actually did that they could do again ?
It is filthy these days with the SEC pandering in the CFB media coverage.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

I love how he talks about Iowa's schedule being "backloaded"

May 6, 2014, 4:20 PM

with Northwestern and Minnesota. What a joke

Re: I love how he talks about Iowa's schedule being "backloaded"

May 6, 2014, 4:30 PM

Wow. Dood the #####.

I'm no expert but this looks like a list

May 6, 2014, 4:31 PM

Is this a list

Dennis Dodd is going to get crumped.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

When he says...

May 6, 2014, 4:34 PM

"Yup, the Gamecocks could do it all again."

That tells you about how legit he is. I guess "all" means win a bunch of games and still not win your division or conference.

This list is terrible

May 6, 2014, 4:56 PM

Not sure how he has FSU not #1 or why he has OSU at #2? And obviously no Clemson is just stupid.

Who cares, this guy is wack (and I don't use the term wack lightly).

Light wack... probably all he has.***

May 6, 2014, 5:04 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#2 house coot

May 6, 2014, 6:09 PM [ in reply to This list is terrible ]

behind confessed coot. Good to have some friendly opponent insight around here!

Replies: 45
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic