Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Noon Kickoff comparisons
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Noon Kickoff comparisons

Sep 18, 2018, 12:01 PM

Using this website:
https://fbschedules.com/college-football-team-schedules/

I just looked at Alabama and Ohio State from present to 2013 (appears to be the first year the site records kickoff times). Feel free to run this against other programs but I felt like Clemson, OSU and Bama are often mentioned as being in the same tier in recent years. By comparison, it appears Clemson and OSU seem to get 3-4 noon kickoffs per season those years. Alabama, by contrast, averages one or slightly less than one noon kickoff per season.

So my first impression that Clemson is getting cr9pped on may be askew. We seem to get the same treatment as OSU. So Bama definitely gets preferential treatment on kickoff times.

And BTW that website is great place to coordinate your whole weekend of football viewing, CFB and NFL. You can view the weekly TV schedule also:
https://fbschedules.com/college-football-schedule/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Noon Kickoff comparisons

Sep 18, 2018, 12:30 PM

In general, they try not to make teams in central time zone games start at 11 AM.

So you see more east coast teams with noon kicks.

Sep 18, 2018, 12:54 PM

That and it’s always been a staple for some reason in the b1g. Not sure why or where that comes from but like the big mich/osu game always seems to be at noon. To me, my observation it’s an honor in the b1g.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2018, 1:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Noon Kickoff comparisons ]

You may be right on the Central time zone thing. When I looked at the numbers, I thought OSU was Central time too but they are not - they are EDT like Clemson. Valid point.

Hasn’t our administration made it clear that prefer earlier

Sep 18, 2018, 12:57 PM

kickoffs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TV doesn't care. We're a national brand and they want us

Sep 18, 2018, 1:00 PM

on the national ABC noon game instead of 3:30 which is regional and competes with CBS.

Re: Hasn’t our administration made it clear that prefer earlier

Sep 18, 2018, 1:01 PM [ in reply to Hasn’t our administration made it clear that prefer earlier ]

I think so. It doesn't happen that much anymore since there's so many tv networks, but usually when we've had no tv for a game against a smaller opponent we've ended up with start times between 12-1. I think Dabo has said in the past that the coaches and the players usually prefer an earlier game as well.

Appreciate your research and here's the bottom line answer,

Sep 18, 2018, 1:22 PM

ALL of the SEC gets more of the ESPN night time slots, even the crap teams. Alabama is the elite team in the conference so they likely get more than anybody.

But ultimately this is about one conference being given night game television slots by the ESPN family of networks, the SEC.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And they are doing this because some numbers some where tell

Sep 18, 2018, 1:27 PM

them they can get more eyes.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2018, 1:46 PM

By contrast, in 2016 we played 10 games at night. Most at the 7-8 spot and one at the 9 spot.
In 2017 we played 9 night games.

These count the playoff games.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic