Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
No concrete verification yet, but news reports are saying
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 5,238

No concrete verification yet, but news reports are saying

Aug 5, 2020, 7:55 PM

that there had been a Russian freighter in the Beirut harbor since 2013 loaded with over 2750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate. That could certainly have been the cause of the blast. A slightly smaller amount caused our own Texas City industrial disaster in 1947. (Having worked in the chemical industry for over 40 years, I always had a morbid fascination with industrial accidents, and how easily they could have been prevented in nearly all cases.)

https://youtu.be/O-d6cqhCJNE

Looks eerily similar to the Beirut explosion to me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No concrete verification yet, but news reports are saying

Aug 5, 2020, 8:06 PM

Russian interference?

I'm sure some undesirable people in that part of the region knew it was there. Seems like an easy opportunity for a very unstable part of the world to have something go wrong. Could have been a simple accident also, time will tell if the truth comes out

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stories also say that the Lebanese were raising alarms and

Aug 5, 2020, 8:11 PM

trying to get it moved at least as far back as 2016. I doubt it was the Russkies blowing it up. The Middle East countries seem to do a fine job of that without outside interference.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not exactly

Aug 5, 2020, 8:40 PM

It was carried by a Russian freighter, but the chemicals were offloaded years ago and stored in a warehouse at the port. Many people warned that this was unsafe.

Re: Not exactly

Aug 5, 2020, 10:37 PM

Wonder why they didnt use it? Agriculture could consume that amount very quickly.

Re: Not exactly

Aug 6, 2020, 6:49 AM

I think the ship and the chemicals were tied up in bankruptcy proceedings.

Definitely a lot more to the story then they're letting on.***

Aug 5, 2020, 9:12 PM

Aug 5, 2020, 9:23 PM

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8595359/Lebanese-authorities-repeatedly-warned-danger-hazardous-chemicals.html

Aug 5, 2020, 10:28 PM

The Texas City explosion was the first thing I thought about when I saw the videos! Heard on the news today that the warehouse held ammonium nitrate!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 5, 2020, 11:13 PM

It's probably Paul Finebaum's relatives behind explosion.

Lebanon is as corrupt as any government you'll find...

Aug 6, 2020, 8:06 AM

Corruption, bad governance, and funding/supporting Hezbollah (an incredibly self-serving Shiite Muslim group with history of carrying out global terrorist attacks) has plunged the nation into financial crisis. Government officials were all well aware of the hazardous chemicals stored in the warehouse but did nothing about it. My guess is that Hezbollah was involved in the decision not to get rid of the ammonium nitrate since it can be used to make bombs. The Lebanese government will now blame anyone and everyone, but the fact of the matter is, the cargo has been sitting there for seven years, they all knew it but, for whatever reason, did nothing about it. Let the blame game begin !!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Somebody gave this a downvote? Talk about shooting the

Aug 6, 2020, 8:43 AM

messenger! :(

Replies: 11
| visibility 5,238
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic