Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Nick Saban's only non-conference
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Nick Saban's only non-conference

Jun 14, 2018, 6:26 PM

loss in the regular season with Alabama?? UL-Monroe.... Quite funny imagining that upset now.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Alabama was coming off a 0-7 season

Jun 14, 2018, 6:48 PM

The showing against UL-Monroe was an improvement.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Alabama hasn’t played a non conference road game

Jun 15, 2018, 2:04 AM

Under Saban, they only play neutral site games once a year. They play 3 non conference home games a year against teams without a pulse and they are always the week before a tough game. No team gets a more favorable schedule than BAMA.

Re: Alabama hasn’t played a non conference road game

Jun 15, 2018, 10:31 AM

They played a home&home with Penn State in 2010 and 2011. Saban is the only SEC coach to suggest 10 conference games and 2 power 5 non conference opponents. He said he wants to play tougher competition but isn't going to put himself at a disadvantage if the other SEC schools won't do it. Makes sense to me. Besides, they make a killing off those neutral site games...they are bringing in $4-$6 million a game.

Jun 15, 2018, 10:38 AM

Well , he's got a point . However , what's a school like USuC or UF to do when every year they play a Clemson or an FSU ooc ? Should we or they drop this rivalry and play it safe , like Saban seems to be doing ?
I am for tougher scheduling , for the fans . I think it would take an emotional speach from horseback by a guy named Mel Gibson , but CFB needs more high level games per year that don't equal " safe " .

IMO

TIA
in advance for a friend

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jun 15, 2018, 10:48 AM

I think it's a no risk no reward situation for teams like SC and UF. The SEC East is horrible, so they can't afford to play it safe with their OOC schedules. I don't think Saban is playing it too safe though, they've opened their season with some pretty tough competition...us, VT, Michigan, USC, FSU, Wisconsin, etc.

Jun 15, 2018, 10:54 AM

Valid point about his scheduling a tough team or two ... but he spaces them out . You just can't expect to see him traveling into someone else's home stadium the 2nd weekend of the season as we are to Kyle Field ... he always looks for that level or neutral field , as it were .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jun 15, 2018, 10:58 AM

There's something fun about playing on campus. I love our OOC slate, and the fact that they're home&homes makes it even sweeter.

Jun 15, 2018, 11:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Alabama hasn’t played a non conference road game ]

Saban will not duck anybody, that's for sure, home or neutral, and he always has the Tide ready to play for championships before August ends.

He's also 15-1 in Atlanta, a 'neutral' site. But Atlanta is hardly neutral for Bama. I bet some Tide fans already have their hotel rooms booked for this Dec.

That's the inherent flaw in assuming that ANY set of rules can equalize schedule difficulty in CFB. Every college and its fan base has a unique identity, history and rivalries, so no set of reforms are going to really balance the playing field. We had one 'rule' that put Bama at a disadvantage last year--you can't play in the CFP championship without being eligible for your conference championship game--but the selection committee trumped that rule with 'let's take the four best teams.' That rule reasserted Bama.

We just need to plan to go through Bama every year, because they will always appear to be one of the top four teams in Dec.

And that means we will need to be ready to handle smash-mouth football played with overwhelming intensity from the opening kick.

If our guys can't handle that, and respond appropriately, no set of rules or excuses will put that championship trophy back in Dabo's hands.

Jun 15, 2018, 1:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Alabama hasn’t played a non conference road game ]

So ole Nick wants to play a tougher nonconference schedule
but won't cause the other SEC teams won't. Lol, way to lead
by example; way to talk like a politician or a lawyer. If
Alabama is the best team in the best conference in the land
(as we are force fed), they shouldn't be afraid to play any
team, home or away.

We've played their rival Auburn in the regular season 5 of the
last 8 seasons and have played or will play the top 4 teams in the
mighty SEC West this decade - Alabama, Auburn, LSU, and Texas A&M.
They play one tough neutral site game early and 3 FCS or mid majors.
But it works for them, so why not.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nick Saban's only non-conference

Jun 15, 2018, 5:53 AM

The turn around from that 2007 season was quite spectacular , to say the least .
It is just my opinion , but I think that Alabama under Saban is on the best streak in CFB history . You numbers guys could probably pull up a coach with more wins in a decade or whatever ... but doing what he has done at Alabama since cleaning our clock in the 2008 opener is remarkable .
Yeah , I know ... Alabama and all that goes with it but others couldn't pull it off with the reigns in Tuscaloosa .
That little #### can flat out coach .

DB23

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic