Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Swinney speaks out on traumatic brain injury for college players
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

New Story: Swinney speaks out on traumatic brain injury for college players

Jul 29, 2017, 2:01 PM

Swinney speaks out on traumatic brain injury for college players

An updated study released this week highlights the risks of playing college football, but Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney says the game is safer than it has ever been and that a lot can be learned from the tragedy that has struck so many former players. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Swinney speaks out on traumatic brain injury for college players

Jul 29, 2017, 2:23 PM

Other than abandoning football, the coaches, players, officials and medical personnel are doing all possible to minimize risks of brain injury. imo, 10 years from now you'll see a very different study outcome, if not sooner. Concussion protocol is common now and making a difference.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 29, 2017, 2:53 PM

And we have to consider that many who chose to donate brains possibly did so due to concerns about personal symptoms - maybe at a higher rate than those who considered themselves as being healthy. This would produce skewed results showing a greater problem.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 29, 2017, 2:54 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Swinney speaks out on traumatic brain injury for college players ]

How do you know it's making a difference? I doubt we ever see much improvement - it's a collusion sport.

Jul 29, 2017, 2:56 PM

That sounds political to me - I hear about "collusion" every day.

Jul 29, 2017, 3:06 PM

A vowell makes a difference between collision and collusion. For sure football is a violent sport. ;)

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 29, 2017, 4:25 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Swinney speaks out on traumatic brain injury for college players ]

Misspelling aside, the point remains.

Jul 29, 2017, 8:51 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Swinney speaks out on traumatic brain injury for college players ]

If there's been no improvement, why not drop the face guards and return to leather helmets, too? Jeebus! I'd wager the old artificial surfaced exacerbated head injuries as much as anything. Nothing like landing on near-crete!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 29, 2017, 6:53 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Swinney speaks out on traumatic brain injury for college players ]

I say get rid of the hard shell helmet, and there would be far less brain injuries bc a softer shell helmet would take away that lightning glance action that causes the brain to crash the inside of the skull then dart to the sides of the skull all in the matter of a spit second!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i forgot about that vicious hit to Gallman, and then NCState

Jul 29, 2017, 3:25 PM

coach afterwards bragging about how that was a goal to get the rb out of the game. Did they get penalized for it, did the player targeting him get thrown out of game? Unlike the 3 Bama players, who should have been thrown out, the refs need to enforce those targeting hits with crown of helmet. One Bama observer said that Boulware targeted a Bama player, but his hit helmet to helmet was straight-on not with crown.

Re: i forgot about that vicious hit to Gallman, and then NCState

Jul 29, 2017, 3:43 PM

Can we agree football is violent and refs are fallible. They make mistakes. Even replay mistakes. It's still football and we enjoy it. If you're looking for perfection, say your prayers. lol ;)

Goodness gracious, Gallman, MIke Williams, DW4 targeted

Jul 29, 2017, 8:40 PM

WITH NO Calls. Brain Injuries can be reduced by righteous referring

Re: Goodness gracious, Gallman, MIke Williams, DW4 targeted

Jul 29, 2017, 8:52 PM

Making the calls wouldn't have stopped the action...sorry to say.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, but they would have dang sure gotten rid of the guys

Jul 30, 2017, 9:57 PM

doing it, and that alone would have had a major affect on any future intentional dirty play. Actions with consequences WOULD stop it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..."they would have dang sure gotten rid of the guys," YES,

Jul 30, 2017, 10:08 PM

thanks for getting it! I can't believe all these dumb arses.

Re: Goodness gracious, Gallman, MIke Williams, DW4 targeted

Jul 31, 2017, 12:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Goodness gracious, Gallman, MIke Williams, DW4 targeted ]

Immediate punishment may make a player think twice about doing it again. Each successive infraction should be punished more severely. Unfortunately, the refs don't always call 'em.

Jul 29, 2017, 4:31 PM

Think of the number of people who have played football in the last 40 years. From pee wee football to professional football the numbers would be astronomical. Yet we have 110 people who were exhibiting symptoms of CTE that donate their brains for this study. We get 109 of them who show signs of this terrible disease. One of them was a kicker who hardly ever was hit and had CTE.
What this says is the people who are conducting the study have an agenda, to stop American football. Of all the people you know who have played football, how many are exhibiting symptoms. For me I don't know any.
They are now saying that playing soccer and basketball may cause CTE. What next jogging?
Studies show that it is an elevated level of a type of protein found in the brains of Alzheimer's disease. Could it be caused by diet of these athletes? The study has not looked at any cause but impact? This is another case of reckless science!

"What this says is the people who are conducting the study

Jul 29, 2017, 7:03 PM

have an agenda, to stop American football"

Uhh, no. I think the "agenda" is to learn about CTE so that it can (hopefully) be prevented in the future. Would you prefer the results remain unpublished and hidden from the public?

Re: "What this says is the people who are conducting the study

Jul 29, 2017, 7:55 PM

If everything that has ever cause brain injury was added to the study, I wouldn't have any objection to the findings. But a study trying to find a reason to ban the sport bc it is a violet sport is a crock of Bullshiot!!!

It would be nice to force the use of a completely Jell lined helmet that would make the impact softer for the skull, that would be a good start. And so what if the helmet had to be made bigger to support a complete jell lined helmet, at least they would let the brain have a softer landing inside of the helmet....

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They aren't trying to ban football.***

Jul 29, 2017, 10:10 PM

Re: They aren't trying to ban football.***

Jul 30, 2017, 5:14 AM

Yes they are

Just saying the refs could reduce it by calling targeting

Jul 30, 2017, 1:04 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Swinney speaks out on traumatic brain injury for college players ]

especially when it is our stars being targeted. Three should have been called in Alabama game.

Dave Doren (not looking up how to spell his name)

Jul 29, 2017, 7:54 PM

should be fined for having a game plan that targeted our RB. That's a start.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

The goal of the study, the role of the NFL

Jul 30, 2017, 7:11 AM

Certainly now there is a battle that has formed as the NFL has worked to slow down, control, or undermine CTE research in general. The NFLs actions have reminded many of tobacco companies around lung cancer.

I believe thier first goal is to answer...is there a problem? Among some, yes. What would a random sample show? Hopefully we will learn.

The 'definitive link' question is what Tobacco companies used for many years to push back against growing data on lung cancer.

I love football, tailgating, and all that it brings us. The biggest impact will be on the edges of the sport with parents choosing other sports and with earlier retirements like Rothlisberger is discussing.

My hope is that people overseeing the sport will work to address CTE because even if there are other causes or it's not the same level across the entire pool of players, it's still an issue. Maybe it's soft helmets, more on hits, or sensors.

Maybe we all have brain damage from our jobs?***

Jul 30, 2017, 10:38 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Considering the $Billion$ involved, how about some better

Jul 30, 2017, 10:08 PM

helmet technology. The NFL and the NCAA should step up their involvement in helmet technology instead of passing it off to the manufacturers. As always, it's about everybody's bottom line, profits, and passing the buck. Maybe all those decision makers need a good shot to the head.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic