Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Swinney on Watson: He'll play when he's ready
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

New Story: Swinney on Watson: He'll play when he's ready

Jul 25, 2014, 2:50 PM

Swinney on Watson: He'll play when he's ready

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney has answered a ton of questions about freshman quarterback Deshaun Watson, and fall camp hasn't even started. What does Swinney say is the "perfect world" scenario for Watson? How does he compare Watson to Tajh Boyd? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds like it would be an interesting article.***

Jul 25, 2014, 2:55 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

you can read it when it's ready.***

Jul 25, 2014, 3:01 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

That's probably best.***

Jul 25, 2014, 3:05 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Sounds like it would be an interesting article.***

Jul 25, 2014, 3:10 PM [ in reply to Sounds like it would be an interesting article.*** ]

Are you not able to see it?

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The link herein gets me to "Page Not Found", but I was

Jul 25, 2014, 3:12 PM

able to get to it from the front page - thanks!

- H. L. Mencken

Working now!***

Jul 25, 2014, 3:31 PM

- H. L. Mencken

David, looks like Crump/BMeist's forum rules are

Jul 25, 2014, 3:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Sounds like it would be an interesting article.*** ]

manipulating the web address of your article:

/Swinney-Watson-####-play-ready-12869

I'm sure it's H-e-l-l in there with no apostrphe

Clemson

that is so hot

Jul 25, 2014, 2:58 PM

I say send 6'4" Stoudt down the middle out the TE slot & throw it to him at the sidelines.

He should be able to out-run any LB's then out-leap any secondary for unlimited yardage a la Sammy Watkins Orange Bowl.

Watson has that kind o' accuracy of ablillitteaze.

Wait. Why did you say it is "so hot?"

Jul 25, 2014, 4:03 PM

And why does it smell like The View in here all the sudden?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wait. Why did you say it is "so hot?"

Jul 25, 2014, 5:41 PM

and what exactly does "the view" smell like? Vinegar and Hairspray?

Re: Wait. Why did you say it is "so hot?"

Jul 26, 2014, 11:51 AM

And an abundance of female personal care products.

Guess he's not ready.***

Jul 25, 2014, 3:13 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Guess he's not ready.***

Jul 25, 2014, 4:27 PM

That's more tout to Cole than a disrespect to DW. I'm telling you, Cole is gonna shine like new money against UGAy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Swinney on Watson: He'll play when he's ready

Jul 25, 2014, 3:32 PM

I think Coach Swinney is certainly correct with that statement. There is no doubt that Watson has great talent and upside, but there is a learning curve to a good college offense, regardless of how similar the high school system was to it. Manziel and Winston took their redshirt years to learn and study their respective playbooks. Cole Stoudt will be an outstanding performer and leader for the Tigers this fall, after three years under Morris. Most D1 coaches would likely hesitate to throw a true freshman into the fire as a starter. That freshman hasn't had the proper time, practice, and game experience to call, or execute, the offensive options correctly when he sees a well disguised defensive formation, or when an offensive breakdown occurs.

Jul 25, 2014, 3:43 PM

He still looks pretty frail to me and therefore at h high risk for injury. I'd much rather see him playing at 210 to 215, but no one mentions work in the weight room.

Jul 25, 2014, 4:12 PM

He's already up to 204 from 190, so 210 by the start of the season isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Jul 25, 2014, 3:43 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Swinney on Watson: He'll play when he's ready ]

Wonder if anyone knows if Johnny and Jameis were early-enrollees or not.

Nah,

Jul 25, 2014, 4:28 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Swinney on Watson: He'll play when he's ready ]

he just hasn't learned the playbook yet.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 25, 2014, 3:40 PM

I got a better suggestion! Why don't we get behind Cole and cheer him on to National Championship in stead of speculating about a future star! He will get his time to shine! Go Cole!!! Go Tigers!!

Jul 25, 2014, 3:46 PM

I like Cole, but to imagine that Watson is not at another level than him athletically seems unrealistic.

Willy Korn was the greatest QB we ever had

Jul 25, 2014, 4:59 PM

until he actually stepped onto the field in a game. He was athletic, fast, poised, All-American/Elite 11, can't miss. Expectations were just as high for Korn as they are now for Watson.

I'm not suggesting that will be the case for Watson - I sure hope not. What I am saying is that Stoudt still suffers from not be an All-Everything 10-Star player coming out of HS, while Watson benefits from it - actual performance be ######.

- H. L. Mencken

Agree. I'd rather see 2 different NC+Heisman winning CU QBs!

Jul 25, 2014, 3:59 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Swinney on Watson: He'll play when he's ready ]

Seriously though, the Watson speculation seems a bit disrespectful to Stoudt and probably a bit unrealistic.

Watson was a great high school player but he'll be facing MUCH better athletes and MUCH more complicated defenses, while (I assume) trying to master a much more difficult offense. Playing QB as a true freshman is a lot more complicated than playing WR or RB.

I think Stoudt is going to surprise a lot of people and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up a middle-round (or better) draft pick.

We've been hearing Watson ran this same offense in HS

Jul 25, 2014, 4:30 PM

So while the playbook is probably larger (an defenses will be different), I bet his learning curve on our playbook won't be as steep as it was for Tajh and maybe Cole at first

Clemson

Re: Agree. I'd rather see 2 different NC+Heisman winning CU QBs!

Jul 25, 2014, 10:46 PM [ in reply to Agree. I'd rather see 2 different NC+Heisman winning CU QBs! ]

One advantage Stout has, besides 4 years in the system is having a pro QB for a dad that had a similar career.

Jul 25, 2014, 4:46 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Swinney on Watson: He'll play when he's ready ]

I totally agree with you and Razz. I find myself at times getting caught up in the excitement & hype about Watson. Heck just the other day I told a co-worker (#### fan) that our up and coming QB would be our first Heisman winner and win us a National Championship before he graduates. As much as I'd love those words to be true I whole heartedly believe he is not our answer this year and that Stoudt is going to have a stellar season and assuming he stays healthy he won't even give Watson a chance to be a starter. Although it's fun to think about the future and what might be, we also need to be respectful to Stoudt and stand behind him as he goes to battle for us for his senior season. In Watson I dream but in Stoudt I trust! Go Tigers!!!

We talked about this transition all week.

Jul 25, 2014, 4:25 PM

I repeat, DW will take the helm when he has mastered the playbook. Until then he will enter the game when our coaches want to run the plays he's mastered.

In the meantime, Cole will shine and win for us.***

Jul 25, 2014, 5:06 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So he might not play vs UGA? i'm confused.***

Jul 25, 2014, 5:38 PM

Jul 25, 2014, 6:17 PM

I am soooooo ready to kick the dawwgs in the teath! Football is here baby!

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic