Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Student ticket plan: How does it compare to other national powers?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 64
| visibility 1

New Story: Student ticket plan: How does it compare to other national powers?

Apr 13, 2016, 2:58 PM

Student ticket plan: How does it compare to other national powers?

Clemson Athletic Director Dan Radakovich informed Clemson students Monday evening and the media Tuesday morning about a proposed plan in which the athletic department would charge students a season ticket fee for sitting in the lower deck. How does that plan compare to other schools nationally? Photo by Joshua S. Kelly / USATODAY Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Finally... an answer. .

Apr 13, 2016, 3:15 PM

It seems Clemson WOULD jump off a bridge if the national powerhouses did.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

But it isn't an answer.

Apr 13, 2016, 3:37 PM

It discloses how much those athletic departments charge for tickets, it does not disclose how much the mandatory fees are.

This article states that Virginia's tickets are free, but their students are assessed a $635 fee. That not only isn't free, it is much higher than the stated "HIGHEST PRICE IN THE COUNTRY".

Until you can assess the fees, you have no idea of the relative standing. But nice propaganda piece.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It also appears many that charge for football tickets...

Apr 13, 2016, 3:48 PM

also charge for tickets for other sporting events. In that context, you might think of some students paying for tickets as subsidizing all the other free tickets, thus making the cost per sporting event much lower than other schools.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very disappointed in this article. Instead of acquiring ALL

Apr 13, 2016, 3:58 PM [ in reply to But it isn't an answer. ]

information to develop an "apples to apples" comparison, it appears to be slanted to stir up the students even more.

I don't like this at all. It's a shame that college sports

Apr 13, 2016, 3:18 PM

getting away from what it is supposed to be. COLLEGE sports.

If you are a student at the dang school, you should be able to walk into any school sporting event on your campus for free. I don't care if it means millions of dollars for the program. At what point do we stand up to 'revenue' and say enough is enough? How much more do we want to change the game for a competitive advantage?

Why can't NFL people just watch the NFL and leave college sports alone?

There is a reason college sports are better to some people than the NFL. Every decade some of those reasons disappear.

And I am a free market kind of guy. But this is college. College shouldn't be free, but student tickets should be.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this***

Apr 13, 2016, 3:21 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

what if tuition was raised $225 for everyone

Apr 13, 2016, 3:27 PM [ in reply to I don't like this at all. It's a shame that college sports ]

and tix remained free?

Personally, this would be my choice ....

Apr 13, 2016, 3:36 PM

I thought there was a fee of some sort back in my student days that covered all athletic events.

People opposed the option of an athletics fee, as well

Apr 13, 2016, 3:54 PM

See the statements from the student body president.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Personally, this would be my choice ....

Apr 14, 2016, 9:54 AM [ in reply to Personally, this would be my choice .... ]

That fee supports intramural activities and facilities.

Tickets were already factored into student fees/tuition.

Apr 13, 2016, 3:40 PM [ in reply to what if tuition was raised $225 for everyone ]

I say don't add any more expenses for football tickets just by embedding them in fees or tuition.

The idea that all students buy-in when they get to Clemson and they all have the freedom to attend sporting events with no further financial hassle is more consistent with college sports than asking students for even more money just because other schools are doing it.

The timing and structure makes it seem as if Dabo's raise is coming from the student section.

Re: Tickets were already factored into student fees/tuition.

Apr 14, 2016, 9:57 AM

No money from tuition and other student fees or taxes goes to the athletic department. If it did the salaries from coaches would fall under the same guide lines as other state employees.

Re: what if tuition was raised $225 for everyone

Apr 13, 2016, 4:12 PM [ in reply to what if tuition was raised $225 for everyone ]

They already raised tuition. Several times. Now they are doing this. They are saying: "Pony up."

Ha ha, are you kidding?

Apr 13, 2016, 5:34 PM [ in reply to what if tuition was raised $225 for everyone ]

The Clemson board of trustees will jack up the tuition more than that next year like they've done every year since 2002.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Clemson will do that anyway.

Apr 13, 2016, 6:24 PM [ in reply to what if tuition was raised $225 for everyone ]

And still charge for tickets.

There's something in these hills.

I agree 100%

Apr 13, 2016, 3:31 PM [ in reply to I don't like this at all. It's a shame that college sports ]

I never watched pro sports because of money. But now it's 6-7 hundred bucks to take my family to a game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Even high school sports charge admission. This is only

Apr 13, 2016, 7:52 PM [ in reply to I don't like this at all. It's a shame that college sports ]

an issue because it is a change.

Firing Tommy Bowden was change. Building the WestZone

Apr 14, 2016, 11:17 AM

was change. Having a playoff was change.

We are not upset because it's change. We are upset because it is moving college football further away from what makes it special.

I agree

Apr 13, 2016, 10:25 PM [ in reply to I don't like this at all. It's a shame that college sports ]

however it is not possible at those others schools listed just because of the massive amounts if students. I mean A&M has 45,000 students. There's no way all of them can go to the games. fees are sadly needed.

At Clemson they are 100% not necessary

Re: I don't like this at all. It's a shame that college sports

Apr 14, 2016, 9:53 AM [ in reply to I don't like this at all. It's a shame that college sports ]

I think college tuition at a state university or college for an instate student in good standing should be paid by the state from tax base just like high school. Out of state students are on their own.

I think any student at Clemson should be able to attend all University sponsored sporting events and not shut out because of costs. I am opposed to the fee.... Maybe we should cut costs instead of gouging the students for another $200+ !!!!

It should be free. Raise regular ticket prices to pay for

Apr 13, 2016, 3:28 PM

the student tickets if you need more money

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Student ticket plan: How does it compare to other national powers?

Apr 13, 2016, 3:31 PM

It's economics. Based on incentives we better keep winning or sales will tank. And they will with an economic decline and poor performance by our team. Poor performance means cheap stubhub or even free tix to students who buy outside stadium.

Worst case in my mind is that during a rebuilding season students save their $ by not going to lousy games like Troy, SC State etc and then buy better seats on stubhub with the money they save.
Empty student seats kills recruiting. A vicious downward cycle.

But when times are good. We parents will keep in paying. Go Tigers! And let's hope prices keep going up if that means we keep winning. But as Danny Ford said after we lost to USC for the fifth time in a row.... Everything turns. And for now it's in our favor.

Re: New Story: Student ticket plan: How does it compare to other national powers?

Apr 13, 2016, 3:51 PM

Unfortunately you just put more thought into it than our actual AD who thinks his only job responsibilities are revenue growth and building things. He lucked into Dabo. Mike Noonan was here before him. He'll likely be gone before a real verdict on Monte Lee and everything else he's touched is pure ####.

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

Running onto the field after games, how does it compare to

Apr 13, 2016, 3:40 PM

other Universities.

Might as well be same headline. The point is that Clemson is special, we don't follow or copy others. We are unique. I think the new ticket plan is a bad idea. Our student section is important and Dabo should stand up for them.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed, other schools should aspire to be more like Clemson.

Apr 13, 2016, 4:36 PM

Not the other way around. One thing that struck me from DRad's statement yesterday:

"'Virginia, the leader in the clubhouse at $670 per student and generating 13 million dollars for their athletic program each and every year.' [Radakovich] said."

Why on earth would we want to be MORE like Virginia? It doesn't seem like that has worked out that well for them...

Exactly. Thank you***

Apr 13, 2016, 7:10 PM [ in reply to Running onto the field after games, how does it compare to ]

Greed kills

Apr 13, 2016, 3:42 PM

What exactly is this extra revenue going towards? Like football, excuse me, "the athletic department" needs even more ways to make money. Why should it be at the students' expense? They're already nickle and dime'd for everything else. Bottom line, you pay for every other thing in college, you should at least be able to go to a game (any sport) for free.

Bad idea! Ugly for Clemson!

Apr 13, 2016, 3:59 PM

Not a fan -- and I don't give a rat's hind about supply and demand. This will take away some of the atmosphere in Death Valley--forever!

I am kinda mad about this kind of tom foolery.

David: There is another question here

Apr 13, 2016, 4:12 PM

How will the new stream of revenue be used?
TIA.

Re: David: There is another question here

Apr 13, 2016, 4:22 PM

EXACTLY!!

If they stated what it was for, it would be a LOT less controversial. Unless they said what it is ACTUALLY for: It is to fund the President & AD's pay raises. In their mind, Dabo cannot get paid more than them... (note: I totally support Dabo's raise... if they said it was for his raise, it would be one thing, but he has brought MUCH more $$ into the school than this will bring).

"the plan has been met with...passion...not all of it good"

Apr 13, 2016, 4:16 PM

"As expected, the plan has been met with the kind of passion only Clemson fans can show, and not all of it good. "

Who had a good response to this? (perhaps the AD or President...?)

Re: "the plan has been met with...passion...not all of it good"

Apr 13, 2016, 4:22 PM

LOL- I thought the same thing. So make a few dollars and lose the experience for the players and fans of the student section. What are they charging for the hill?

RE: "How does Clemson’s $225 per season pricing compare..."

Apr 13, 2016, 4:19 PM

"How does Clemson’s $225 per season pricing compare to other schools? "

Why are we having to compare ourselves to other schools? Who says they are doing it "right"? Perhaps they should try to be more like us...

The standard is BEST

Apr 13, 2016, 4:36 PM

With all due respect, the standard is BEST. Why are we trying to be LIKE other universities? Let's stand above them all and lead the way.

Just because other universities are doing it does not make it right. We are Clemson. We lead. We don't follow. Let's BE the example.

We are almost the highest...make it $450 a year!***

Apr 13, 2016, 7:26 PM

Apr 13, 2016, 4:39 PM

Bad idea. I had a son at Clemson a few years ago and getting to sit in the lower section was a challenge but that is what made it valuable. Be careful!! College football is pricing itself out of business. Let the students in as part of their activity fee as it was when I was there. Don't mess with the atmosphere.

WHO CARES WHAT OTHERS DO?!? WE ARE CLEMSON...

Apr 13, 2016, 4:39 PM

WE ARE DIFFERENT, BETTER AND MORE PASSIONATE THAN THE OTHERS. WHY DOES WHAT OTHERS DO MATTER? DO IPTAY MEMBERS NOT GIVE ENOUGH? ARE TICKET PRICES NOT HIGH ENOUGH? WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO DO THIS OVER A MERE 700 G'S OR SO? COULD POSSIBLY CHANGE THE GAME ENVIRONMENT. WHY MESS WITH A GOOD THING? TOTALLY DISAGREE WITH THIS MOVE AND DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY YOU WOULD DO THIS, THIS YEAR OF ALL YEARS. IDIOTS.

Message was edited by: charlestontiger1977®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly. We are Clemson

Apr 13, 2016, 7:10 PM

I don't want to be Virginia. I don't want to be Alabama. I want to be Clemson and beat everyone else doing it our way.

How much do you wish CU student sec. was like other schools?

Apr 13, 2016, 4:44 PM

Me? Not so much.

Hey I got some other ideas.

Charge $500 for each soda sold at concession stands.

Holy crap I'm a genius just like D-Rad.

Also the refs should have to pay admission.

The goal posts should be made of plastic.

What's with those "extra" cheerleaders? You know the ones I mean, they're part of the B squad or something? Get 'em out of there.

There I've done some AD work. You're welcome. What's for lunch?

What all you Chicken Little's are forgetting is

Apr 13, 2016, 6:22 PM

Students can still go to the games without having to pay. There are still free tickets! Also, any lower deck seats not purchased by students will be scooped up immediately by non students who want great lower deck seats. All seats will still be filled, the atmosphere will not change, and this will not even be a topic by October. It might not be popular but people always want a top level product at a low level price. Hate to tell you, but the world doesn't work that way. Relax, take your Ritalin, and everything is going to be just fine.

what you're forgetting is that

Apr 14, 2016, 7:31 AM

It was already hard to get a ticket for a student. Now, if a student can't pay that extra 225, it's going to be nearly impossible for them to get one.

Apr 13, 2016, 6:39 PM

I graduated college in '62 - and every year on my tuition bill there was a "Student Activity Fee", and then they told us we could go to the sporting events "for free". Call it what you will, but it's the same thing Clemson is going to do today, only they will call it something else, and the students can still sit in the Upper Deck free. And now a-days, nothing is for free, except maybe Upper Deck Clemson Student Tickets.

Chicken Little: "It's the beginning of the end I tell ya!"

Apr 13, 2016, 7:01 PM

Might as well forget the images of "masses jumping up and down in orange" because the high dollar IPTAY members won't be nearly as enthusiastic as the students. SO the images of the masses writhing in delight at the Tigers will be replaced with stoic people giving a Golf clap or keeping their toddler in line. I understand the fee, but to going from Free to the top of the food chain, DR is getting greedy and the rest of the BOT is following suit.

Apr 13, 2016, 7:08 PM

Who really cares how Clemson's proposed student ticket price compares with other schools? Clemson has always been BETTER than any other schools. They have always treated students and fans BETTER, and thus have always had one of the best gameday atmospheres in college football. So, the question should by WHY does DRad and the administration feel that students should be charged to attend games. Does Clemson need the money? Does Clemson need to follow the lead of the other schools?

Clemson should be BETTER than the other schools, not similar to the other schools, or copying the other schools, but BETTER. In my opinion, and most of my fellow alumni is that this change is not BETTER, but reduces Clemson to the same level as "the other guys".

Apr 13, 2016, 7:42 PM

There are still free tickets and 225 is not much. As long as students are allowed to sell these tickets I am fine with it. It's optional nobody is forcing anyone to pay it.

whi cares?

Apr 13, 2016, 7:15 PM

We are Clemson, we don't follow the pack, we lead.

Apr 13, 2016, 8:53 PM

What about the hill? Is it still free?

The Hill is extra?

Apr 13, 2016, 10:28 PM

Are you kidding me? They ought to PAY you to sit on the Hill! That's part of the CLEMSON tradition as a Freshman! Ever been there when it was slightly wet?

Apr 13, 2016, 9:10 PM

Can't charge your best supporters! Hope this dies not pass.

To answer your question, scenes like the one in the pic

Apr 13, 2016, 9:33 PM

will certainly become a thing of the past.

Among the highest in the country? Very disappointed in

Apr 13, 2016, 9:36 PM

this example of greed. A fine way to thank our students, not only charge them, but make it one of the highest in the land.

I hope they don't agree with the old saying, "Nothing says kiss my A$$ like an empty seat."

You were disappointed we were ranked so highly?

Apr 14, 2016, 11:09 AM

I knew it, I knew it all along.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 13, 2016, 10:07 PM

I graduated in 2013. For those who said the ticket charge will not affect the atmosphere, just tell me why only student sections are showed at the end of the video please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEhd3SK8b2I

The people complaining about this need to ask themselves

Apr 13, 2016, 11:50 PM

if we want to continue to play with the big boys or not. Many of you want to do "whatever it takes" to keep Clemson football competitive. You want to devote almost all of our athletic department resources toward football, including all of the shiniest facilities as well as a high salary for Dabo. Then why, pray tell, shouldn't students be given the option of paying a (very reasonable) fee to sit in the lower deck?!?

Nobody is requiring students to pay the fee. If there isn't any demand, nobody will buy them. I'm willing to bet that the tickets will have no trouble being sold.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

i feel like we played with the big boys

Apr 14, 2016, 7:39 AM

In the 80s. Tickets were free for students and we won a natty. And excelled still for a while after.

We just played for another. And tix were free for students.

We have a new shiny indoor facility. The oculus. Littlejohn, soccer field, dks, are being updated. Well dks has been done a while now. New football op facility.

I feel like all of that has been done with free tix to students.

I'm disappointed in this because it's poor timing. Right after and ACC championship, a national championship appearance, and giving the coach a huge (deserved) raise?

This logic will suck the soul out of college athletics.

Apr 14, 2016, 11:15 AM [ in reply to The people complaining about this need to ask themselves ]

This is what the NCAA was meant to protect from. Keeping schools in line and resisting the free market to protect something special.

You could literally justify ANYTHING if 'hanging with the big boys' was your primary reason for doing so.

Many people forget why they love college sports to begin with. The rivalries and traditions didn't come from the highest bidder. It came from something more special. Stop killing off the beautiful aspects of college sports.

Apr 14, 2016, 8:15 AM

Do not care how other schools do this. We went to Clemson and we send our kids to Clemson. If we were interested in how other programs worked, we would have sent our kids elsewhere. We have a good system that works and is not broken. Do not change it.

This is sad! College students barely have any free extra $

Apr 14, 2016, 9:45 AM

I know because I just graduated with a doctor's degree from my 3rd college. If it wasn't for support around me I wouldn't be where I am now. It's not just the students paying for games that I'm upset about. I've said for years the worst thing for college sports is scalping and online scalping tickets for profit. It has slowly caused the universities to continuously raise prices due to the belief if people are willing to pay $150 a ticket then we are losing $$$. Greed is destroying tradition. How is anyone suppose to bring kids and family to a game now unless you have deep pockets. I remember getting tickets for $8 as a kid and it was the highlight of my life going to Clemson games. My family didn't have much, but it has turned me into the big Clemson fan I am today thanks to God's country not being greedy. I feel sorry for many kids who will not be able to experience what a Clemson game is like in the future due to price hikes that are only going to get worse. Like the gentleman said above me... It's almost a house payment or more to take a family now to a college (NOT NFL) football game. Even if you are less than an hour away.

It doesn't matter to me how everyone else is doing it. We are Clemson...

Apr 14, 2016, 10:51 AM

We do it differently and we do it better. This is a sad day. My Tech friends said this day would come. First it was the single field goal net for the hill. Now we are changing a long standing tradition of a ticket for each student. What's next?!? Renaming Memorial Stadium to Fatz Stadium?!? Geez, it's freakin bull shizzzle.

I always felt like camping out guaranteed

Apr 14, 2016, 11:16 AM

I always felt like camping out guaranteed that you would have your most dedicated fans in the lower section. Now there will be a few passionate fans, a few who just have the money to throw down and the ones who's parents have the money and will probably be gone by halftime.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

as a 40 year iptay I say we need the students they make the

Apr 14, 2016, 11:37 AM

atmosphere that is the heart of death valley. Us old guys and these johnny come lately donors cannot create what the students do. I don't care what other schools do, we need students in the lower bowl without charging. At least preserve the current student section in the lower near the hill.

I agree for the iptay donors that sit next to this section they should number the student tickets and encourage them to sit in the assigned seats but make it easier for students to attend not harder.

Sometimes in spite of their great vision these ad's need to leave some thing alone. Not everything is broken and not everything should have a price. In this case the students contribute far more than the price of their admission. We will hopefully have students at our games long after D Rad is off to another school changing everything there.

I don't give the ad credit for all our success it is the result of a lot of things in place (students included) and one hell of a coach that was here before him.

I wonder how block seating will work with this

Apr 14, 2016, 11:30 AM

I suppose organizations will have to split up into two blocks - Freebie block and Pay block.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No way they should allow block seating with individuals

Apr 14, 2016, 12:09 PM

paying for tickets now. Cash is king.

No longer do the students...

Apr 14, 2016, 2:04 PM

look stupid when extending their arms and holding up the "WE'RE NUMBER ONE,' finger to the ESPiN cameras. We got more than a good share of the #1 rankings last football season.

I'm done.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 64
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic