Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Post Spring Starters - Defense
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 2,125

New Story: Post Spring Starters - Defense

Apr 28, 2015, 7:01 AM

Post Spring Starters - Defense

Last week we took a look at the offense, where there aren’t a lot of surprises. Defensively, the top group seems to be set as well, even though there will be battles at cornerback and safety once fall camp arrives and there will be battles for playing times at every position on the field.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very solid first team Defense. Second string is crucial

Apr 28, 2015, 7:58 AM

We don't want out starters getting tired as the game goes on due to a lack of depth like what happened in say 2011 and the early part of 2012.

DE: Ebo, Bryant, Yeargin, Huggins
DT: Pagano, Wilkins, Robinson
CB: Fields, Baker, Edmonds, Carter
LB: Rogers, Joseph, Smith
S: Gibson, possibly van smith or tanner muse

We have a lot of talent behind the starters(most of these guys were 4 to 5 star players). We just need them to grow up and get the experience this year. Thankfully they have two cupcakes to get acclimated to the speed of the game. We'll need them against the ND, FSU, etc on the schedule where our depth will have to come in and play well.

Re: Very solid first team Defense. Second string is crucial

Apr 28, 2015, 8:55 AM

You can move Huggins to DT. I think he made the switch at the end of the spring.

Yeah that's what I'm expecting as well

Apr 28, 2015, 10:19 AM

He's a DT all the way and the sooner he moves the better.

Re: Yeah that's what I'm expecting as well

Apr 28, 2015, 11:46 AM

His skill set is just better suited for playing on the inside than on the edge. Him and Wilkins will be a problem.

ben 10 tin the junkyard dog

Apr 28, 2015, 10:12 AM

More like Ben 10 graphene will murder someone this year...

Re: New Story: Post Spring Starters - Defense

Apr 28, 2015, 11:44 AM

I’m thinking our defense is going to surprise a lot of the naysayers out there who are expecting a drop-off like SC had last year.

Sure, I expect us to have some growing pains because of the youth & inexperience we have, but overall this is the most athletically talented group we’ve had in a while and that’s going to show as the season progresses. Once they get some experience and start to gel as a team, by season’s end this could be a pretty formidable D to deal with. Like always, staying healthy will be the key.

Will we be the number 1 defense in the country again? Absolutely not, but I think top 15-20 is realistic.

Think about this: V. Beasley, G. Jarrett, D. Williams and R. Smith were all low three stars recruits coming out of HS and both Beasley & Smith switched from offense to defense….All of those players listed are being replaced with 4 star players that played their current position in HS.

i don't see it that way

Apr 28, 2015, 1:52 PM

We are losing 75% plus of our production from last year. I don't see us being a top 15-20 defense. Compare last year's position starters and depth to this year - it is not even close. I'm not sure people realize just how good the defense was last year. BV is a fabulous coach and we have some decent talent but DE, DT, two of three LB positions are going to drop off. I am concerned about Safety other than Kearse. Plus, Pinion helped our defense more than many believe.

I hope you're right but you can't objectively look at this year's team and think it is close to last year's. This year looks like a 30-40 type defense, which is still amazing considering all we lost.

I think the offense will be great so it should even out over the course of the season.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Post Spring Starters - Defense

Apr 28, 2015, 3:59 PM

So basically, we'll really see what Venables is made of this year. Lost a bunch of NFL talent last season, about three NFL early entries, some solid starters, and some youngings!

Well I already know...***

Apr 28, 2015, 5:07 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 2,125
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic