Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Players say the pieces are in place for Clemson to have long-term success
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

New Story: Players say the pieces are in place for Clemson to have long-term success

Mar 24, 2018, 2:01 PM

Players say the pieces are in place for Clemson to have long-term success

Clemson missed a 3-point shot with 79 seconds left, and its deficit never got any closer than the final score of 80-76 in a loss to Kansas as its breakthrough season ended at 25-10 and with its first Sweet 16 appearance in 21 years. The players and coaches don't think it will be another 21 years before the Tigers are back. Photo by Steven Branscombe / USATODAY Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Players say the pieces are in place for Clemson to have long-term success

Mar 24, 2018, 3:01 PM

The best is still yet to come, we came up short on my prediction of another Natty, we were good enough but just fell a little short. I’m proud of this team and the grit that they showed!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Re: New Story: Players say the pieces are in place for Clemson to have long-term success

Mar 24, 2018, 4:19 PM

This team far exceeded my expectations. Each and every member of the team can hold his head up high. We've had a lot of teams that have been underachievers, but very few who have more than met expectations as this one has. Thank you all and Go Tigers.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 24, 2018, 4:35 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Players say the pieces are in place for Clemson to have long-term success ]

All of this in spite of the naysayers and many dissing our coaching staff.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 24, 2018, 4:25 PM

"The Ceiling is the roof!" ~Michael Jordan

Mar 24, 2018, 8:51 PM

Our team played gutty all year. Anxious to see if they can keep the momentum.

I agree. GO TIGERS!***

Mar 24, 2018, 8:55 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 24, 2018, 9:56 PM

I, too, believe the pieces are in place for a long run at success. No longer are we focused on just participating. Now, we are expecting to have success, and to take our rightful place among the programs who "get it". I gained so much respect for Coach BB this year and the process he expects his guys to work toward to reach their potential. Less than our best is not good enough for him, nor for the guys he includes in this Clemson Tiger BB Program. Aren't you all excited that success now is the standard, rather than just a vision in a dream? I AM!!! Way to go TIGERS!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 24, 2018, 11:03 PM

As Simms said “a good group” not great and unfortunately that is what will be needed for future success. Brads inability to recruit above a #46 class will show this season to be an outlier. The chance of repeating this kind of success is just not in the cards if we have to rely on scrappy 3 stars playing over thier head consistently. Brad should have been fired last year, so unfortunately one great season will just prolong the agony of having a below average ACC team for the 3-5 years Brad will have and his successor will need to recruit lagit talent.

Message was edited by: sbdy

Wow, I bet you’re fun at parties.***

Mar 24, 2018, 11:21 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Proverbs 16:18

I hope he's wrong and you're right. I do see his point that

Mar 24, 2018, 11:49 PM

we seem to be losing more than we are developing/recruiting. But yeah, that was an unnecessarily negative take. Given the right players, brownell is better than most. We havent had the players, and we dont seem to have them coming. Hope I am wrong. I love the guy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I hope he's wrong and you're right. I do see his point that

Mar 25, 2018, 10:26 AM

I’m glad to see fans who can be objective and see other viewpoints. TigerNet tends to steer clear critisizing or having having any negative opinions concerning Clemson athletics. Seeing things thru orange tinted glasses 24/7 doesn’t help improve the program and there is much more of that to do in order for Clemson to have an consistently elite basketball program, so thanks for considering other viewpoints. We need more of that in order to help push the program forward.

Re: Wow, I bet you’re fun at parties.***

Mar 25, 2018, 7:34 AM [ in reply to Wow, I bet you’re fun at parties.*** ]

Long time ago, we would ask people not to be a Debbie Downer....

Re: Wow, I bet you’re fun at parties.***

Mar 25, 2018, 3:46 PM [ in reply to Wow, I bet you’re fun at parties.*** ]

Just what I was thinking!

Have a great chance to make tourney again next

Mar 24, 2018, 11:44 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Players say the pieces are in place for Clemson to have long-term success ]

year. 19-20 will be tough after losing Mitchell, Reed, Thomas, and Skara.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We need a quality PG to follow Mtchell obviously.

Mar 25, 2018, 10:55 AM

That might be a rebuilding year.

Pretty Apparent that

Mar 25, 2018, 11:38 AM

multiple guards that are good outside shooters and scorers and two rebounders are the ticket to advancement in the tournament.

Devoe was the high scorer for the state of NC his last two years in high school.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Pretty Apparent that

Mar 25, 2018, 2:07 PM

I'm not so sure that the caliber of recruits coming in are talented enough to push Clemson above where they are now. Sure a Zion Williamson would have changed the direction of things immensely, but the same old programs, some of which Clemson competes against, are getting the game changing type of players. No disrespect to Skara and Donnell, but they are nowhere near the quality of players needed to compete at this level. A programs like Kansas, Duke, UNC and Kentucky they would not even see the court unless it was in the final minutes of a blowout. Skara and Donnell (they are so similar in their talent I cannot sometimes tell them apart!) many times could not even make a simple layup under pressure. I would often see them get a rebound the the opposing team just take it right out of their hands. It seemed that some of the teams would save their effort of jumping to go after the rebound and just wait to take it away from them.

Clemson will likely be competitive next year with what they have coming back, but several of this year's key players were quality transfers from other schools, and not necessarily recruited players like Donte Grantham. So will the recruited (committed) three 3 star players be good enough to keep Clemson in the mix? It seems that these three are largely "raw" players that will need some time? So should Clemson seek some more transfers?

Mar 25, 2018, 4:42 PM

Not landing Zion says it all. Brad could not close the deal on a local kid who had favored Clemson for years. Whoever thinks recruiting will magically change after 7 years is not being realistic and whoever thinks we will be fine next year is clueless about college basketball.

Mar 25, 2018, 5:48 PM

Pretty sure u called BB a dead man walking b4 THiS season. Im more of a reader than a poster, but I think next year should be a good season. A starting 5 of reed, mitchell, skara, simms, thomas should be pretty good. Malik, trapp, oliver, spencer all gave good minutes at times. If most of them improve next season and the 6'11 freshman can give some good minutes they should be ok. This season should help with transfers too.

Mar 25, 2018, 5:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Pretty Apparent that ]

Other than being white guys - Donnel and Skara arent alike at all. Donnel is a good 3 pt shooter who is slow and soft. Skara doesnt have an offesive game. But is great defensively and any offensive production is because of toughness and energy.

I don't see anyone replacing Gabe next year

Mar 25, 2018, 6:17 PM

I will agree that things are trending upward but I just don't see a replacement for Gabe on the team (or coming). I think we will be lucky to make the tournament next year.

Give Brownell credit for getting to the sweet 16 but let's not go overboard here (ala Bowden after beating SCU). I think he deserves credit and keeping at least 4 years in front of him but I am not 100% sold. Recruiting is part of the game and especially with the FBI hopefully knocking some of the slime off college basketball we should be able to markedly up our recruiting.

Mar 25, 2018, 6:31 PM

This group of guys has reset this program and the word that describes them is GRITTY .

Let's hope that the juniors all return for another great year .
Mitchell Reed Skara and Thomas

Come on , we need you guys .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic