Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Open date thoughts: Defense salty, but offense needs a certain someone healthy
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

New Story: Open date thoughts: Defense salty, but offense needs a certain someone healthy

Oct 27, 2014, 5:25 PM

Open date thoughts: Defense salty, but offense needs a certain someone healthy

Clemson has an open date this week, and it's a chance to heal the bumps and bruises that are accumulated through a college football season. But the stats are saying a win over Wake Forest might not be as easy as people think? And, what is the answer for Clemson's offense? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ball control when Cole is in there, mostly running, less

Oct 27, 2014, 5:39 PM

passing. Cole had good 2nd half and can build off of that, especially that last 8 minutes and that one beautiful pass to Seckinger! More Center snaps in red zone with QB sneaks with I formation so runners are close behind.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ball control when Cole is in there, mostly running, less

Oct 27, 2014, 7:23 PM

The way Cole and CM are playing right now, I don't feel good playing Wake!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ball control when Cole is in there, mostly running, less

Oct 27, 2014, 10:21 PM [ in reply to Ball control when Cole is in there, mostly running, less ]

It's very difficult to call the style a "ball control" offense. 42% of our possessions against Syracuse were 3 & out, 57% had one first down or less. 10 of our 14 possessions were held for 2:30 or less.

Nothing about our offense says "ball control". It simply says "bad".

Like 2nd half - for get first half***

Oct 28, 2014, 1:35 PM

Re: New Story: Open date thoughts: Defense salty, but offense needs a certain someone healthy

Oct 27, 2014, 5:41 PM

I agree with most all of that. I did see (at least I think I saw) our offense look a good bit better the second half when we sped up the pace of the plays quite a bit. As we slow down to try and run clock, our success seems to slow down and almost stop being effective. Is Stoudt just unable to run the plays as fast as we need to, or is the OL just so marginal they open few holes and give limited protection time, or can Cole just not read defenses and find an open man? Is it all the above? Very disappointed that the offense seems to have fallen apart with the loss of Watson. I expected more from a 5th year SR QB and the OL after all this time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Open date thoughts: Defense salty, but offense needs a certain someone healthy

Oct 27, 2014, 8:06 PM

Well if we don't turn the ball over we win by 3 TD's easily, thats what really killed us.

Oct 27, 2014, 10:39 PM

Maybe, but they did occur, and what caused the turnovers? If I had some rice I could have some rice and gravy, if I had some gravy. It's deeper than just the fact that the ball wound up off target a few times. IMO We did play much better the 2nd half, though, and I am not down on Clemson. Most on here would tell you I drink the Orange Kool Ade most of the time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with everything...but there is nothing we can do...

Oct 27, 2014, 6:41 PM

Cole is not as good as DW, I think we all can agree on that. Morris has to manage the offense around Cole's ability and the result it the offensive game plan you see unfold. To my knowledge, there is no other answer...we're just going to have to watch it unfold down the stretch. Cole's ability's are not going to change between now and Wake. What you see is what you get...embrace it.

I'm not sure if any of the QBs behind Stoudt can do any better. Maybe we'll get a chance to see them get some play time IF we manage to get up big on Wake.

I just feel there is no longer any reason to be upset. I can't get mad at Morris because he's got who he's got to play in this offense and injury wise, that has left us without a lot of our starters. When DW gets back and if he plays like he did earlier in the season, he'll provide a spark and we may right this ship. Right now...we're just going with the current...

Re: I agree with everything...but there is nothing we can do...

Oct 27, 2014, 7:09 PM

The fact is, Cole would have been our 3rd string QB coming out of spring practice had CK not been dismissed, and assuming that DW wins the starting job this far into the season. And he's doing it with 5/11ths of our offensive starters out. Tiger Nation needs to quit bashing Cole, who's giving it all he's got, and get behind this team. Cherish the defense that's been missing for the last 3 decades and enjoy the ride.

Not directed at you, TTT, but agreeing with you.

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Yeah, I have no harsh feelings towards Cole...he does

Oct 28, 2014, 12:35 AM

the best he can. We can't yell at him and call him names and expect that reaction to turn into a different player. We just have to sit back and enjoy the show....that is, a spectacular defense!

Re: I agree with everything...but there is nothing we can do...

Oct 28, 2014, 11:34 AM [ in reply to Re: I agree with everything...but there is nothing we can do... ]

Uh, actually, Cole still would have been the #1 QB coming out of Spring practice. That was announced the day of that game, and CK did nothing noteworthy in the Spring Game to win a starting job from Stoudt, by any means. If you didn't see the game, you wouldn't know how badly he did. Now granted, the game setup (QB down with only a touch) didn't help Chad, and having Beasley and Crawford on the same opposing Defense also set him up for failure, but CK did not win a starting job in Spring.

I remember CK complaining about not having the same O

Oct 28, 2014, 1:19 PM

weapons as Stoudt...

The real question is...if Kelly had stayed, I wonder if Watson would have been RSed?

Re: I remember CK complaining about not having the same O

Oct 29, 2014, 12:55 AM

Maybe, but maybe we would have lost more games with him never getting a chance. Who knows. What I do know is he showed his ####, and now he is gone. I wish he weren't, but he is, and we now have to deal with it. We will survive, and it looks like he will too.

Point for using "miasma" in a blog post ...

Oct 27, 2014, 7:10 PM

Pretty apt description for what we saw n offense last Saturday ...

mi·as·ma
/m??azm?,m??azm?/
noun, literary noun: miasma; plural noun: miasmas

A highly unpleasant or unhealthy smell or vapor.
"A miasma of stale alcohol hung around him like marsh gas"

synonyms: stink, reek, stench, fetor, smell, fume, odor, whiff; More: gas, cloud, smog, vapor

"The miasma from the stagnant swamp made us choke and gag."

•an oppressive or unpleasant atmosphere that surrounds or emanates from something.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 27, 2014, 7:17 PM

I agree with all your points but we are paying a certain coordinator over a million dollars to find some wrinkles that will jump start this offence. Believe me, teams in our conference know our vanilla play book.

Oct 27, 2014, 7:29 PM

Long time Site watcher, first time poster. Thank You all for some great posts and information. Am absolutely loving the way the D is playing. As a guy that played against Levon Kirkland back in the day, I feel like we are seeing that type of mentality once again. Coach V is doing an outstanding job, every year getting them to buy in and play better. The talent and depth there is starting to rise up. I admit I am troubled by a couple of things offensively I admit, but true enough, we have who we have. I have watched every snap Cole has taken, and if anything he looks worse every time I see him, almost regression. That is not however a knock on him, as I thought last season he should have come in a couple of times, case in point against FSU when he was sharp as a tack, and moved the team, getting fired up. That leads me to my point. Anyone starting to think he might be hurt worse than the team wants to point out? A lot of balls he looked like he pushed them rather than following through with any velocity. And a couple were WAY off. When he's sharp he's a pretty decent rhythm passer, not deep field thrower but good at intermediate stuff for sure. That doesn't seem to be there at all right now. While I have questioned a lot of play calls this year, I am not gonna knock the fact that he's busted his butt on every play. O-Line, could probably help him a bit if he wasn't getting blown up at the snap. When he's in the 'Gun and the ball and the defender get there at the same time, I have a problem with blocking assignments.

Oct 27, 2014, 7:55 PM

Welcome Jarheadtiger, good post and insight.
I agree with your assessment concerning Stoudt's injury.
Keep on posting.

Oct 28, 2014, 7:08 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Open date thoughts: Defense salty, but offense needs a certain someone healthy ]

I think you are on to something with questioning whether Cole is injured more than being reported. I was told during the UL game, by a Tiger that played with Cliff Stoudt in the NFL, that Cole actually has a cracked clavicle, not just a sprained AC joint. Is this true? I don't know, but I trust the Tiger that told me. Even if it's just a sprained AC joint, does anyone else remember how poorly Sammy played late in his freshman year with the same injury...also suffered against NCSU I believe.

Few can see the brilliance in Chad's double secret ploy ...

Oct 27, 2014, 7:23 PM

to let the offense wallow in the depths of suckitude so that there's limited scouting and film on Clemson's really amazing, fast pace, high octane, prolific scoring juggernaut.

The deception and trickery will be revealed on 11/29/14 as the Tigers dismatle the Gamecocks 63 to 17!!!!

Have faith ....

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WEEEE (not too) DEEP....***

Oct 27, 2014, 8:35 PM

WEEEE

Oct 27, 2014, 9:44 PM

got up to 16 offensive players that ain't playin'!

-Doc

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Which seems to be lost on the dumpers.***

Oct 27, 2014, 10:03 PM

Re: WEEEE (not too) DEEP....***

Oct 27, 2014, 11:59 PM [ in reply to WEEEE (not too) DEEP....*** ]

Well considering we lost like upwards of 15 offensive players and we're still winning, I think that proves that we are indeed deep.

null

Oct 27, 2014, 8:54 PM

You know if the score in the game Syracuse game was 30 to 6 then there would be a lot less complaining about the offense. One muffed lateral and there is a touchdown before halftime. That last drive would have scored a touchdown if it was needed. It's not pretty, but I don't think it is as bad as some other fans.

Oct 27, 2014, 10:00 PM

"You know if the score in the game Syracuse game was 30 to 6 then there would be a lot less complaining about the offense. One muffed lateral and there is a touchdown before halftime. That last drive would have scored a touchdown if it was needed. It's not pretty, but I don't think it is as bad as some other fans."

This is completely correct. And that's not even including the Humprhies TD that wasn't (which resulted in a FG). 23-6, 27-6, or 33-6 all seem fine to me yet 16-6 still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. We've just been spoiled on offense the past several years, simple as that.

That fact doesn't fit the agenda with the dumpers.***

Oct 27, 2014, 10:06 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Open date thoughts: Defense salty, but offense needs a certain someone healthy ]

Oct 27, 2014, 8:58 PM

Cole filled in seamlessly behind Tajh last year. We need blocking. That's interior blocking, wide receiver blocking, and running back blocking. All that freshman/sophomore speedy talent doesn't equal Martavous holding a block till Sammy gets by for 8-12 yards on a wr screen instead of two, or Ellington's block giving the QB one more second. Even Adam seems less enthusiastic as a blocker.

Man, I don't know if even Deshaun can get us out of this.

Oct 27, 2014, 10:34 PM

Saturday did not leave me too hopeful about the rest of the season at all. Our offense is anemic. I know DW is special and all, but there's only so much one guy can do. Especially if he's going to be constantly pressured.

More quick intermediate throws which Stoudt & OL can handle***

Oct 27, 2014, 11:15 PM

downfield blocking could improve too

Oct 28, 2014, 12:36 AM

Regardless of who the QB is. Not always bad but sometimes effort after the catch doesn't seem there at times

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

Oct 28, 2014, 12:53 AM

Bottom Line is Stoudt is busting A$$ and trying his best, and the whole offense is grinding until they get their playmakers back. Its very frustrating to watch, but Stoudt isn't the type of quarterback for the Morris system. Stoudt was a Billy Napier recruit. He's trying and he's winning, and I respect that. Don't get me wrong, I am counting down the days until Deshaun gets back but meanwhile we gotta be all in for Stoudt.

Oct 28, 2014, 1:22 AM

I agree with JarHeadTiger. I believe blocking is the bulk of our problem. Hadn't had time to evaluate the Syracuse game but go back to BC. On 3rd and 2, near end of 1st qtr, Isaiah Thomas blocked the tackle and not the end, result no gain. Looking at past games this year just seeing a lot of poor blocking. Watson didn't look good in the UL game either. Same reason, blocking. I think, and hope, the vanilla play calling is Morris trying to keep it simple b/c of this and all the jostling of positions due to injuries. Also agree with JHT that Stoudt may not be as healthy as needed. Either that or he's lost confidence. Seen him enough to know he can make good intermediate passes. Would like to see more slant and slot passes in the middle with Cole. The ball gets out quick on those.

And would like to see the pace pick up. Trusting coaches know something we don't. Seems like we don't know if we want to be an Oregon type O or a Bama O. We seem stuck between two schemes with no identity. If we can't run the quick pace then squeeze the TE's on the LOS, use two backs and get the QB under center. keep it simple. And be daring. I know the boys are young and inexperienced but what the hay. They're talented out the yingyang. Just turn'em loose. Try new things. If Cole looks less than mediocre, give Scheussler a try. If it doesn't work out, go back to Stoudt. Sometimes players show you more on the field than in practice. And have some fun too. Dabo and the whole coaching staff seems tight. Remember how much fun they had when Dabo first became coach? Take some pressure off these boys. Go out there next game and just have a ball.(no pun intended)

This game is simple. Block and Tackle. D we can do. Good blocking will cure many ills. And we're sick right now. Thats where Im stumped. Is it Caldwell? Morris? Talent? Injuries and too much jostling? Suspect its a combination of all. On a positive note, I believe we have the staff that can figure it out and change course. I sure hope so. Or its gonna be a tough sled when we play more physical teams.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So why does our "hurry-up" O have to look to the sideline?

Oct 28, 2014, 2:37 AM

On almost every offensive play, after the team sets, they look to the sideline leaving me worried every time that the play clock will run out. Are the coaches having to read the defense for the QB? We must have the slowest hurry-up offense in the country. The play clock gets down to less than 10 seconds on almost every play.

Oct 28, 2014, 2:58 AM

Jarheadtiger, I read your post twice, and I believe your on to something. I noticed ed in the Syracuse game after a couple hits that Cole took after throwing, he got up with his left hand holding the bottom of his right rib cage area. After the pass for the TD, same thing. I believe his injuries are more than the staff is talking about. It also seems that his mobility might be hampered somewhat because of same injuries. Irregardless, the O line is offering limited protection and he is rushed to throw. I hope this week and a half off will give the offense time to heal and catch their breath. Also, maybe CM can work on some different play packages to change the regression of the offense to a more positive scoring offense. They are trying, but the limited abilities of playing with an injured QB are very evident.

Short yardage

Oct 28, 2014, 9:30 AM

Someone please tell Chad you cannot pull a guard on the goal line. D-linemen are shooting gaps and will come through unblocked. This has failed several times this year. 1st and goal on the goal line, pull a guard on a run play.. Loose 4/5 yards.

Re: Short yardage - get out of shotgun to under center

Oct 28, 2014, 1:38 PM

sneak or I formation runner - short quick hand off.

Oct 28, 2014, 11:54 AM

I will pose this and I may get some agreement (or disagreement according to your thought processes). I feel like the running game can get better if Cole can snap the ball from under center. And maybe run play action from the same look. I just think it works better for Cole. Also mixing up that look and adding some form of the option sweep (which would have totally worked this weekend if C.J. holds on to the ball.)

If I recall from the BC and Syracuse game, we became very effective running the ball from that look. I don't mean chunk runs. I do mean 4 to 5 yards a pop. So that may be the secret to success as long as Cole is in the game.

Something else. We must remember that we are short-handed on the Offensive line. So running out of the pistol will become difficult because it calls for pulling guards and other moving parts of the O-Line. In my opinion, if we are having to cross train everyone, it is extremely difficult to teach the fundamentals to make this work effectively.

Finally, Morris has been coach speaking that they have to practice differently. With all the injuries, position switches, and departures, he may have to be "vanilla" and add "toppings" in the weeks prior to BC and Syracuse. I found this even with that "special someone" was running the squad. Morris may feel his offense can be a 17-24 point squad as long as the other side of the ball is shutting down and keeping the opposing offenses off the board until this moment; a bye week to allow some of his experienced front 5 to get healthy and get back to advance offensive schemes.

I am in no way a football coach. I am just going at this in the most logical way to make sense of the anemic offense we have seen in the past weeks. Dabo has said this has been Chad's best coaching job to date. I thoroughly agree because any coach can make talent look decent. I mean just look at Lane Kiffin at ANY of his stops as a head coach. But when the walls are falling down around you and you have had to change the way you operate to make it work, Chad Morris would get an 'A' in this fans book. However, thank God we made it to the off-week to get some questions answered!!!

#ALLIN

Under center - sounds good to me***

Oct 29, 2014, 11:07 AM

Oct 28, 2014, 12:35 PM

I had to laugh when the announcers of saturdays game for espn said this is probably the best coaching job offensive coordinator Chad Morris has done since being at clemson??? They said with all the injuries he has had to endure on the offensive side of the ball is the reasoning behind what they said. All teams have injuries to key players but, the ultra conservative play calls for bubble screens and slow developing running plays are just awful. I told a friend on saturday that it was exciting watching the defense play but, watching paint dry was more exciting then watching this hapless offense try to execute. Whose fault is it if the we can't run the ball or more importantly the blocking & protection for the qb of the o-line is so pathetic??? I think morris is in charge of the offensive and this would be a direct reflect on his and his coaches failure in preparation so far this year. Don't get me wrong I think watson is really important for offensive production and the team looks totally different when he is playing but, it is no excuse when the next in line qb comes in and then we go into our prevent the offense from being successful play calling.

Oct 28, 2014, 1:09 PM

Officials called one touchdown (out of bounds), and CJ lost the ball on another sure touchdown. They can put up points with any QB in there. Sure DW is better and will be back soon, but if he isn't blocking on the o-line a whole lot want change. Go Tigers!

Oct 28, 2014, 1:27 PM

We also lack a truly dominant running back! With limited personnel in the past we had CJ, or AE who could put the team on their back and carry them. Brooks, Choice, Watson, the o-line being decimated are really showing! Cole seems to find a rhythm just at the perfect time. Everything else is painful to watch. If we just had a NFL type back to keep defenses a little more honest would help. I also feel like 75% of the plays being called are doing Cole no favors either. When Morris first came he had all this misdirection, "window dressing" to help out. That is gone! It's like Chad is trying to play smash mouth football with a spread offense. Two 32 dives up the gut, try a bubble screen on 3rd and long. Syracuse sold out to stop the run on first & 2nd down, dropped a few more back in coverage on third down. Let's face it, the local middle school knew what the offensive series was going to be! When Chad changed it up, we had success. Cole fed off of that success & found his rhythm late. By that time Syracuse' lack of depth started to show as well. It's frustrating to watch at times! With so many intregal parts of the offense missing, the play calling must change! This cost us the Ga game! The first half UGA played a straight D & the plays worked. Cole looked decent in the first half. Second half, UGA sold out against the run on 1st & 2nd down. 3rd & 9 is easy to stop! I'm not hating on Chad! I love what he has done. This year, I feel like he has set in his mind he is going to run the ball on 1st & 2nd down. He only abandons that gameplan late in the game. It makes Cole, and the o-line seem worse than they are. Granted, neither will win any major awards but they are better 3 or 4 td over last 3 games! Watson is so dynamic he can carry us through the games. Cole needs a little help with some old school Chad Morris magic! I'm very thankful the decimated offense has been able to piece together the wins! Hey! USuCk! How's your year going?! ??

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic