Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Mistakes doom Tigers in home loss to Winthrop
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

New Story: Mistakes doom Tigers in home loss to Winthrop

Nov 17, 2014, 9:32 PM

Mistakes doom Tigers in home loss to Winthrop

Brad Brownell’s team turned the ball over 16 times and made just 24-of-39 free throws – a 59 percent clip – while Winthrop only had six turnovers and shot 80-percent from the charity stripe. The Tigers also hit just 3-of-13 from 3-point range, while Winthrop was 9-of-23 from long range in the Eagles' 77-74 win at Littlejohn Monday night. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fire Chad Morris***

Nov 17, 2014, 9:33 PM

Dabo too! He lied about our basketball team being healthy!

Nov 17, 2014, 11:08 PM

Cole stoudt has pisssed away the last game! He missed everything and just gave the ball away!

I'm telling you. We should limit our investment

Nov 17, 2014, 9:55 PM

in basketball. Some of the money spent on both the men's and women's basketball should be redirected to other sports (volley ball, women's golf, start a softball team). While I enjoy basketball, no one will ever convince me that Clemson will ever be competitive for an ACC championship much less a deep run into the tournament.

It's nothing against Brownell and he seems like a great guy. I just believe those financial resources could be put to better use.

well... one way to look at it is this....

Nov 17, 2014, 9:56 PM

Clemson has 1 more ACC football championship than basketball championship the last 20 years.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: I'm telling you. We should limit our investment

Nov 17, 2014, 10:45 PM [ in reply to I'm telling you. We should limit our investment ]

But we have been very good with the right coach. Both OP and Barnes won in the league and in the NCAA

You are nuts

Nov 18, 2014, 7:45 AM [ in reply to I'm telling you. We should limit our investment ]

Way off base and totally wrong. It's just one loss.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm telling you. We should limit our investment

Nov 18, 2014, 4:35 PM [ in reply to I'm telling you. We should limit our investment ]

So we should take money from one of the few money-making sports and re-direct it to non-revenue sports?

I was hoping this season was going to be better

Nov 17, 2014, 10:13 PM

No offense to Winthrop, who always has a good team, but this is a bad sign for this year. I think Brownell does a really good job of game coaching, but he has got to find a way to recruit better talent. While I don't agree with those that say we can never compete in the ACC, we can't compete until we have better Jimmy's and Joe's--or Ja'quan's--come play at Clemson.

Re: I was hoping this season was going to be better

Nov 17, 2014, 10:37 PM

Brad has got to dare to recruit those guys. Not even targeting top 25 recruits is going to keep the program low on the totem pole because finding that superstar talent amongst the leftovers like KJ isn't going to happen every year. If we want to be great, we must dare to be great; and that means daring the 5 stars to be great at Clemson...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He heavily recruited Dozier, Mack and Ingram

Nov 17, 2014, 10:55 PM

this cycle. They all said no. Clemson has signed 2 five star recruits in its history. Milton Jennings and Sharon's Wright

Re: He heavily recruited Dozier, Mack and Ingram

Nov 17, 2014, 11:50 PM

All he got from PJ was a curt thanks, but no thanks. I know the Doziers personally and dad said himself that he wasn't going to Clemson so there was no need to spin those wheels. Mack can be as good as Murphy Holloway but not KJ good. The kid from Charlotte is a project and needs a couple or three years to be serviceable (see Nnoko). If he gets Seventh Woods to name Clemson in his top 5, then I will begin to see his recruiting in a different light. But right now, Brad is second fiddle to Frank Martin with in-state guys because of Thornwell and now PJ and with PJ staying home, they have a punchers chance with Seventh because of the AAU relationship and Perry Sr. having a relationship with Louis Woods. plus, the staff is pulling all the stops just like they did for PJ.
I, as much as anyone, want to see our coaches succeed at the highest level, but Brad needs to take a page from Dabo's book and go into the perennial prep schools and AAU strongholds (like Dabo goes into FL and Ga) and command some attention because that's where top talent is.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coach Pat Kelsey is a special coach

Nov 17, 2018, 12:16 PM

He's in his third year now at Winthrop and they're a lot better than they were when he took over. He's got a great background having assisted under Skip Prosser and was once under the consideration for the head coaching vacancy at Xavier before he decided to take a leave from basketball. When he decided to come back, Winthrop got him. In his second year he took the eagles to the Big South tourney championship game where they lost to Coastal Carolina (a team they had beaten twice in the regular season). He's a high energy guy that loves to get the students going. He's implemented numerous spirit and pep events before games and recruits well at this level.

The reason I say all that is because he's going to hit his stride soon and bring success to Winthrop, and eventually a bigger school will come calling. Even though I'm a Winthrop grad and would love to see him stay, obviously I wouldn't blame him at all for taking a bigger job and I hope that Clemson will be smart enough to consider him when the time comes.

I Blame Obama***

Nov 17, 2014, 10:42 PM

Re: I Blame Obama***

Nov 18, 2014, 1:19 PM

Do you also blame Obama for the booming stock market? That's a clown comment, bro.

Re: New Story: Mistakes doom Tigers in home loss to Winthrop

Nov 17, 2014, 11:40 PM

I was watching the interview with Brownell on Tigernet the other night and he said that we were one or two games away from being in the tournament last year.

At the time I thought that he was right but not in the normal sense of one or two wins short, because we had enough wins to get us in. What kept us out was a horrific loss or two at the beginning of the season.

Scheduling chumps and then finding a way to lose to them is a new trick even for Clemson basketball. I love Brownell. I really hope he stays but this has got to stop.

Oh, and NIT...here we come!

Nov 18, 2014, 8:14 AM

Brownell's Defense is great but he needs to stop letting the team take a lot of low percentage shots early on in the games. The reason Clemson continues to lose to some teams is because he (Coach Brownell) does not make them work from inside out. Clemson needs to attack the basket with the type of players we have then when the other team is behind and needs to fight to get in the game you can take some not a lot of the long range not so high percent shots.

embarrassing . . .wow! new low? nope but still

Nov 18, 2014, 1:27 AM

I saw the dismall FT shooting in the first game and hoped it wasn't the case. Hm m m m m m #####!

oh my, here we are again

Nov 18, 2014, 4:55 AM

there is a law that we must be on the bottom in basketball

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 18, 2014, 7:23 AM

Congrats to Winthrop.
Unacceptable to Tigers.

Nov 18, 2014, 8:17 AM

This is basketball Winthrop is a better team they still have talent that has had time to develop. At Clemson we've had a lot of guys transfer out and go to the Draft. The team will have to build chemistry and get on the same page but once they do then everything will start to gel. This is a tough loss but not a bad one Winthrop will compete and be a strong team this year hopefully Clemson does the same and not let this game keep beating them.

So much for BB being a "Defensive genius" Letting Winthrop

Nov 18, 2014, 8:26 AM

score 77 is terrible.

A lot of it was off of turnovers

Nov 18, 2014, 9:25 AM

That's kind of like saying Venables sucks because GT had 2 pick-sixes against us.

Did nobody ask about the flagrant 1 call on the foul?

Nov 18, 2014, 9:24 AM

We shouldn't have been in that situation in the first place but Karl Hess really screwed us again.

Re: Did nobody ask about the flagrant 1 call on the foul?

Nov 18, 2014, 10:54 AM

We asked Jaron Blossomgame about it and he said he was trying to foul him, although not intentionally....

Thanks

Nov 18, 2014, 11:04 AM

I would've loved to have heard Brownell's opinion, but I doubt he would've given it even if asked.

Such a close win is going to hurt Winthrop come March***

Nov 18, 2014, 9:29 AM

So far I have gone 4 years without watching a single

Nov 18, 2014, 10:34 AM

basketball game of any kind. Looks like year five is starting.

You missed some real entertainment with KJ last year***

Nov 18, 2014, 10:36 AM

I really do not like the game.***

Nov 18, 2014, 1:36 PM

Nov 18, 2014, 10:55 AM

Do we even have a basketball team!

Nov 18, 2014, 1:21 PM

Winthrop? Really?

Well, at least we are good in soccer. Basketball & football... not so much, apparently. Tough sledding these days for my Tigers.

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic