Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Defense challenged: Swinney rips off the Band-Aid repeatedly
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

New Story: Defense challenged: Swinney rips off the Band-Aid repeatedly

Dec 29, 2015, 7:01 AM

Defense challenged: Swinney rips off the Band-Aid repeatedly

It hurts when you rip a Band-Aid off of a particularly tender spot, and ripping it off of the same spot time and time again inflicts even more pain. Clemson’s defense was subjected to that kind of pain in a meeting recently, and senior defensive tackle D.J. Reader said it’s a meeting the players won’t soon forget.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Defense challenged: Swinney rips off the Band-Aid repeatedly

Dec 29, 2015, 7:51 AM

The defense MUST be disciplined against the OU offense. If they do not play aggressive, ASSIGNMENT football, the Sooners will match up and down the field.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where the Blue Ridge yawns its greatness, Where the Tigers play...

Dec 29, 2015, 9:13 AM

Absolute truth. The challenge has been, and surely continues to be, finding a way to be AGGRESSIVE whilst maintaining your individual assignments. Disciplined football on both sides guarantees us the victory.

impressive...Coach Swinney can motivate his players...now

Dec 29, 2015, 9:28 AM

if he'll have that same "fireside chat" with everyone associated with Special Teams, Oklahoma
will be in for a long evening

and I can't stress this one enough:

NO TURNOVERS!!

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

with the way o-who was acting yesterday....I'M FIRED UP!

Dec 29, 2015, 11:42 AM

I don't think it will be a hard sell by Dabo since our men have had their manhood challenged!

Dec 29, 2015, 10:13 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Defense challenged: Swinney rips off the Band-Aid repeatedly ]

Especially for Boulware and the safeties. Those guys have to do their job first. If they forget to do their job for 2 seconds in a play because they started trying to do someone elses job, those breakdowns turn into big plays.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 29, 2015, 7:53 AM

Two more games!

Good!!! Now go show Oklahoma and nation

Dec 29, 2015, 7:55 AM

Go Tigers

Great to read this - Hope and even expect the edge to be

Dec 29, 2015, 8:00 AM

back for 4 quarters. The O will do it's usual and the D will guarantee a win! GO TIGERS!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But...but...but I thought Coach

Dec 29, 2015, 8:06 AM

was just a cheerleader!

??

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger/Terrier

nah, he's a big meanie just ask Teas***

Dec 29, 2015, 8:54 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 29, 2015, 8:06 AM

If we don't play assignment football and stay focused for 60....this is not an option! We have had some truly epic defensive efforts, and yes some collapses. Whether due to complacency or losing our edge, we have got to bring it all together for OU. And shut the media and their team down. We are All In!!! One Tiger Nation.

Don't forget "tired legs" - expect them to be refreshed now!***

Dec 29, 2015, 8:55 AM

Swinney & BV will have these boys fired up

Dec 29, 2015, 8:24 AM

They will come out hungry & ready to gooble up every tackle they can get their hands on. Itll be an effort like we haven't seen since the 2pt conv try with ND. Theyll be swarming around the ball like angry bees. Cant wait to watch this game!! Clemson will leave Florida with a convincing win & finally shut the doubters up once & for all! 42-27 Go Tigers! #ALLIN

Dec 29, 2015, 8:46 AM

Yes the 2d half in too many games was hard to watch/explain. Glad they are addressing it! And maybe I'm asking too much but I'd love to see the return game be a little more effective. And fewer dumba$$ penalties. And no turnovers. Whew! Next two games perfect. (o;

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Call It Coincidence

Dec 29, 2015, 8:47 AM

But the lapse in the defense, came about the time Reader came back

(shrugging shoulders) Just saying....

Nope! Same thing happened in ND game***

Dec 29, 2015, 8:56 AM

Dec 29, 2015, 9:03 AM

I'm so glad to read this so glad we have coaches that know the way the D has been playing.
Will not work vs the next 2 teams we play.
This team is so close and has the talent to beat anybody.
I hope they take advantage of the situation because seasons like this are hard to come by.

Why would he rip off the band-aid more than once?

Dec 29, 2015, 9:29 AM

Is he reattaching it and then ripping it off again? It would lose most of it's adhesive power after the first time or two. Seems like he could be focusing his energy elsewhere.

Re: Why would he rip off the band-aid more than once?

Dec 29, 2015, 10:15 AM

No, he puts afresh one on every time just so he can rip it off!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's just good coaching then.***

Dec 29, 2015, 10:16 AM

Poor Baker Mayfield is going

Dec 29, 2015, 9:56 AM

to get the brunt of this. Hope OU's medical staff is ready, not that I want him hurt, just the Clemson D is gonna tee off on him. Gonna be a long, long afternoon for Mr. Mayfield I foresee. Go Tigers! Crush OU!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Poor Baker Mayfield is going

Dec 29, 2015, 11:09 AM

will we see another "hurtin Buckaroo?"

Winning the 4th Quarter in big games....

Dec 29, 2015, 10:06 AM

Glad to see the coaches challenging the team. A lot of emphasis has been put on the defense finishing the opposition off in the fourth quarter. Heck, at home games, we even have a nice video of the S&C work these guys put in during the off season before each fourth quarter starts. Quite frankly, with the exception of FSU, it's been a struggle for this year's squad to finish off teams.

If DS and BV's challenge fixes this issue, OU is defeated soundly and Watson kneels down at the end of the game to run out the clock. If not, we are in for another nail biting finish. We still may win, just not in a "no doubt" fashion.

I've listed the fourth quarter score board performance for all the games this season. Some were blowouts and I understand that. But you get the idea with the others. At least I know how I was feeling at the end of some of them :)

Clemson vs UNC (10-14)
Clemson vs USC (9-15)
Clemson vs WF (0-6)
Clemson vs Syracuse (6-3)
Clemson vs FSU (10-0)
Clemson vs NCST (9-14)
Clemson vs Miami (13-0)
Clemson vs BC (7-7)
Clemson vs GT (3-7)
Clemson vs ND (3-19)
Clemson vs Louisville (3-7)
Clemson vs App St (3-7)
Clemson vs Wofford (7-0)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 29, 2015, 11:00 AM

Just my humble opinion, but for the most part, I think the offense can be the key to keeping the defense sharp. Nice, long ball control drives, 4-5 minutes wach, at minimum no 3 & outs allow our starters to stay fresher. No coasting on offense at any point. It seems any time they have let off the gas, it had changed momentum.

I want to see the same defense we saw the 1st 3 weeks***

Dec 29, 2015, 11:06 AM

Dec 29, 2015, 11:40 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Defense challenged: Swinney rips off the Band-Aid repeatedly ]

Things that have kept recent games close are turnovers, penalties and special teams play. Missed extra points and a bad decision by the punter certainly have not helped. If the Tigers clean up these areas, they will beat the Okies. Go Tigers!!!!

Dec 29, 2015, 12:02 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Defense challenged: Swinney rips off the Band-Aid repeatedly ]

Great point. We blame it all on the defense, but the offense gets conservative and complacent with the leads as well.

Especially now that we know this is a defensive issue the offense cannot let up.

Dec 29, 2015, 12:16 PM

I'm SO happy to see this article. I was confident that it was being addressed but to see it in fruition is bliss. Come on Tiger D, get back to the grind and just all out WRECK Oklahomo. GO TIGERS!!!!

Amnesia has set in. This has happened ALL season.

Dec 29, 2015, 2:41 PM

Good grief.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Re: Just the fact

Dec 29, 2015, 3:27 PM

There are no more Freshmen, no redshirt Freshmen, Sophmores and so forth. Clemson only has Veterans. The season is over. The new season begins now. Defense needs to play with no tomorrow in mind. Offense needs to spread and i mean spread the field. Make Okie defend the entire field. Spread where it's athelete on athelete and we will find out who has the best. Okie has not seen speed and precision like they are getting ready to see.They have not played a defense as vicious as the one they are about to play. When the dust settles they will then realize they have been run over by a machine. Nuff said. All in. Spot the ball. Bring it Tigers.

Re: Just the fact

Dec 29, 2015, 10:14 PM

Right frikin' on, man. I believe [we] our Tigers will bring it with a passion even they don't expect. I believe each individual team member - starters, subs, even those on the bench waiting for the call in case it's there turn to man up - has the mindset that the game depends on HIM and how he plays. Each knows what he's supposed to do, how to do it and what to do it WITH, i.e.: what's expected of him. Altogether they make a TEAM that's unstoppable, indefensible, unassailable and unbeatable. We have, perhaps, the greatest team that Clemson has ever fielded - 11 games, 12 games, or 15 games, it doesn't matter - this game is the one that counts, NOW. And I believe Dabo and Co. will demonstrate why we're No. 1 in the Nation and prove it.

GO TIGERS!!!!!

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic