Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Could Clemson use a platoon system at QB in 2017?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 52
| visibility 1

New Story: Could Clemson use a platoon system at QB in 2017?

Feb 2, 2017, 3:00 PM

Could Clemson use a platoon system at QB in 2017?

The old football adage says that if you have two quarterbacks you don’t have one, yet Clemson quarterbacks coach Brandon Streeter and head coach Dabo Swinney say the Tigers won’t hesitate to play two quarterbacks in 2017.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It didn't work well for Auburn either. Not just against us,

Feb 2, 2017, 3:07 PM

but really at any point in the season. During the middle part of the year when Auburn was actually playing good football they were sticking with Sean White.

Anyway, i would expect the staff to give multiple guys a chance early in the year, but hopefully we can find one pretty early in the season and stick with him.

Re: It didn't work well for Auburn either. Not just against us,

Feb 2, 2017, 3:25 PM

2 qb system hardly ever work at all. Pick one and lets go to war.

Ohio St's 3rd string won a National Championship***

Feb 2, 2017, 5:05 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ohio St's 3rd string won a National Championship***

Feb 2, 2017, 5:06 PM

Well it helps that Elliot ran for about 800 yards the last 4 games of that season

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Re: Ohio St's 3rd string won a National Championship***

Feb 2, 2017, 9:30 PM

Think how badly OSU would have won had they had the real starter in the game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It didn't work well for Auburn either. Not just against us,

Feb 2, 2017, 9:29 PM [ in reply to Re: It didn't work well for Auburn either. Not just against us, ]

I won't say it can't work, but I never saw it work at Clemson in my lifetime. There is a different rhythm, and a difference confidence level with each player, and the players know who is best. We saw it when Cole Stoudt started the year at QB, and DW4 came in and was the spark we needed. I know that when DW4 was injured at the end Cole played his greatest game, but there was no option then. That is very different when the guys know that the best guy, who is capable to lead and who should be leading, is sitting on the bench when he is needed. I've seen the 2 QB system fail at UGA, at Clemson, at AU, and I could go on and on, but I remember when it succeeded. If we get a Joe Namath and a Kenny Stabler on the team at the same time, maybe I will change my mind.

If I remember correctly, Namath left the year before

Feb 4, 2017, 7:24 PM [ in reply to Re: It didn't work well for Auburn either. Not just against us, ]

Stabler was on varsity. Dabo might have that one wrong. Oops

Platoon system = sinking ship

Feb 2, 2017, 3:30 PM [ in reply to It didn't work well for Auburn either. Not just against us, ]

No thank you

I hope we don't pull a Slurrier

Feb 2, 2017, 3:30 PM

If we make a change halfway through the year because someone else is practicing better... that's one thing. But do NOT switch back and forth. Please.

Re: I hope we don't pull a Slurrier

Feb 2, 2017, 4:07 PM

No no no noooooooo.... The best player will separate.

Re: I hope we don't pull a Slurrier

Feb 2, 2017, 9:33 PM [ in reply to I hope we don't pull a Slurrier ]

Has Dabo not showed you enough that he can do what he wants as a coach?

I sure hope not.***

Feb 2, 2017, 3:41 PM

Re: I sure hope not.***

Feb 2, 2017, 9:32 PM

Me too!

Re: New Story: Could Clemson use a platoon system at QB in 2017?

Feb 2, 2017, 3:47 PM

Yes, I'd favor a platoon of Marines with a couple of Ma-Duece fire teams. 2 belts per game should do it.

Feb 2, 2017, 6:25 PM

Sign me up. 0311 Infantry Marine here. Lol

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 2, 2017, 3:48 PM

It's an unconventional method to say the least. However, we have seen it work in the past with more of a "changeup" type of scheme implemented (i.e. Leak/Tebow @ UF and Flynn/Perriloux @ LSU). If there's any coaching staff in the country that could convince their players to buy into this type of philosophy, it would be this staff indeed. It's still very early to speculate but we should receive some clarity after the Spring period.

Back when FSU owned us

Feb 2, 2017, 5:09 PM

they'd play 2nd string for a set of downs or even just 1st down and then the starters would come back in to finish

I agree with Dabo. If you got the talent, use it. This is

Feb 2, 2017, 3:49 PM

good for future QBs that haven't signed yet??? Like a certain one in Cartersville that we want to stay committed? And it does work if the coaches use them correctly. Chris Leake/Tim Tebow won a national championship. Bear Bryant won many. Dabo just won a National Championship for us, I don't care if he throws a mule in there for the kicker like in that old Disney movie.

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Re: I agree with Dabo. If you got the talent, use it. This is

Feb 2, 2017, 7:10 PM

Ask Brian Kelly at ND how it worked out for him...Hopefully, one will separate from the others.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree with Dabo. If you got the talent, use it. This is

Feb 2, 2017, 9:37 PM [ in reply to I agree with Dabo. If you got the talent, use it. This is ]

"Mule...."

Good one! LOL!

Feb 2, 2017, 4:09 PM

I like the open-mindedness and def trust David and crew. Whatever works! Go tigers.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 2, 2017, 4:09 PM

I think CS is saying.. "if there's equal talent at that position and there's equal productivity at that position,... then SURE!!!... play two!!".. but, i also believe he knows that the qb position is different and that rarely is it equal.. and, i'm sure someone will separate themselves from the pack and will ultimately be "the guy"..

i think saying "sure, we'll play two".. is a way of telling his players, "don't assume it'll be a one man show at QB and that you won't play".. i think it's his way of trying to get the best out of each of his players each and every day.

love me CS

Feb 2, 2017, 9:34 PM

I hope that is what he is saying, rather than what he is planning on doing.

DW4 could do it all, what if we have great passer but not

Feb 2, 2017, 4:22 PM

good dual threat QB. I could see the passer like Cooper for example splitting time with Bryant, who we know is good runner. Or Hunter/Bryant or Brice/Bryant or...who do you think?

Re: DW4 could do it all, what if we have great passer but not

Feb 2, 2017, 9:36 PM

I think it just announces to the defense what to look for.

Feb 2, 2017, 4:24 PM

Maybe it will work for Dabo. It worked for Meyer at UF Tebo's freshman year.

Feb 2, 2017, 4:42 PM

I expect that a lot this year. The 2nd platoon will start in the 3rd quarter after we have huge leads, and the 3rd platoon will play the 4th quarter after the lead is even bigger.

I'm a little surprised at you guys missing that key factor.

Feb 2, 2017, 9:16 PM

Excellent point! It will be exactly like this past year when Nick would play the entire 3rd and then Bryant and Israel would take turns in the 4th.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Old time hockey"

Feb 2, 2017, 4:51 PM

Not totally unexpected to hear considering the talent we're stockpiling throughout ALL positions. The cream will ultimately rise to the top I would imagine as things progress - but I would imagine it would be pretty tough for a defense to gameplan against two varying QB's with different skillsets if that's how it plays out over a longer term.

At the end of the day, I absolutely trust this staff to assess, gameplan, and work the talent on the field as necessary to give us the best chance to win.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hoping doesn't come to that, but depends on what gives best chance of success

Feb 2, 2017, 4:55 PM

Whoever is the starter anyway has a tough act to follow. Deshaun Watson was a once in a lifetime talent, arguably the best player in the country, and, until otherwise, going to be the most legendary player in Clemson history.

Think w/ our offense, having a platoon system will be tough. Plus, they wouldn't have too long to iron out the kinks in the early season since there's Auburn, Louisville, & VT to start the year. If coaches go this route, think the guys they go with need to be good enough in both running & passing to keep defenses honest & not sell out to stop run/pass depending on what QB is in. But I trust our coaching staff to get it all figured out with whatever happens.

Seems like we got a pretty decent streak of the most

Feb 2, 2017, 5:15 PM

legendary players at Clemson going lately...

CJ Spiller
Sammy Watkins
Deshaun Watson

The bar keeps inching its way up.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Seems like we got a pretty decent streak of the most

Feb 2, 2017, 7:18 PM

But that is a H&ll of a good position to be in!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Seems like we got a pretty decent streak of the most

Feb 3, 2017, 9:15 AM [ in reply to Seems like we got a pretty decent streak of the most ]

You really think Spiller was better than Woody Dantzler?

Re: Hoping doesn't come to that, but depends on what gives best chance of success

Feb 2, 2017, 8:42 PM [ in reply to Hoping doesn't come to that, but depends on what gives best chance of success ]

I can see us using two quarterbacks against Kent State, but after that we need to rely on one !

Tigernet has determined that our coaches are wrong

Feb 2, 2017, 5:07 PM

lets send them our findings

Thankfully Dabo isn't stupid enough to listen to the fans.***

Feb 2, 2017, 10:48 PM

Feb 2, 2017, 5:07 PM

No thanks.

If we use two QBs that usually means we don't have 1

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

I could see it working for us if no one QB is

Feb 2, 2017, 5:08 PM

clearly better than the other(s), or if we have two similarly capable QBs with different strengths and skill sets.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

2 QB's = No QB

Feb 2, 2017, 5:37 PM

..............or no QB likely good enough to make a big play when you need them to. This QB situation will be one of the most scrutinized position battles in college football.
An incumbent who played behind DW4. Who you never really got a chance to see throw in Kelly Bryant. Then the Redshirt guy who has been on campus a year and should know the offense pretty well in Zerrick Cooper. A ton of potential with cooper; but like the rest on the list has no experience on the college level. Then you have Mr. Indiana and Big Name QB " in this class " Hunter Johnson. Already on campus; will compete in the spring and has a ton of ability.
Chase Brice i.m.o is pretty much out of the QB competition because of his relative late arrival on campus. But, if he picks it up in the summer and moves the offense better than the other 3 he should start.
I have never liked two QB systems. Just like a RB who has to get lathered up before they really get going. Sometimes a QB has to " be in there " and spot little tendencies from the QB position " on field " which will allow them to change plays, change protections, blocking schemes, etc.
This coaching staff has done little to make you lose confidence in them. If they come to the conclusion this is what is best for the team then so be it; but " ...... "!
Let's hope somebody can separate themselves during spring ball. Keep it up in fall camp. Start in the 1st game and translate practice to a real game. Then is named starter until they prove they can't handle it.
My prediction: Zerrick Cooper

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ehhhh. I'm not wild about using two QBs unless one comes in for the wildcat play.

Feb 2, 2017, 5:41 PM

I kinda believe the old saying "if you have two qb's, you have no quarter back". Really the only time I can remember it working with success was at Florida, when Chris Leake and Tim Tebow both played. It was minimal, but it did work out.

Everyone Please Back off the Ledge!

Feb 2, 2017, 5:51 PM

Look, Dabo and staff are saying this for a reason. They don't have a front runner and they are telling everybody that everybody has a chance. I think Dabo has learned from his failure to start Deshaun that year in Georgia when he came off the bench and showed us why he is DW4. That year, Dabo never said that it was a contest. Cole was the clear front-runner. For the past 2 seasons, there has been no question at QB. Now there is a big question mark, but it is not lack of talent that is in question. We have that. It is lack of experience, and mostly game experience (read between the lines as to what Dabo said about being tested in a game) amongst the more talented ones (sorry, KB - I love that fact that you are the local guy and that you have great skills but unless you improve your decision-making ability and your passing, I don't think you are the front runner - in the mix, yes, front runner, no). I trust Dabo and staff. I bet there will be 2 and maybe 3 QBs, and maybe 4, playing against Kent State. Then, there might be 2 against Auburn. But, by crunch time, we will have one. They will do what is right and best. And, if playing 2 QBs works and is necessary, then so be it. But, anybody willing to bet that we won't end up with 2 QBs who are "equal"?

Re: Everyone Please Back off the Ledge!

Feb 4, 2017, 5:26 PM

Like Swinney said..."I like winning".
Do you understand how hard it is for an opposing defense to prepare for (2) quarterbacks.

One quarterback is pro-style drop back passer...the other a dual threat runner (with a good arm).
This combo is almost un-stoppable and Streeter/Swinney know it.

There is a difference between Auburn's situation and Clemson's.
* Auburn had to use multiple quarterbacks because one was just not enough.
* Clemson has the talent to use (2) quarterbacks AS A WEAPON, not just to get through the game.

Feb 2, 2017, 7:06 PM

I really think that this talk about a two QBs system is for pushing the two best QBs that we have until one actually pushes himself ahead of the other. I think that right now, Streeter is telling Dabo that the best two QBs is about equal to the other, and Dabo wants one to take it to another level. If I was a HC that is what I would do, I would tell the two that they would have to share the job until one of them clearly separates them self away from the other, or both of them will lead the team. That has it's way of making one of the two to take the job right out from the other!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 2, 2017, 7:09 PM

IMHO, I totally disagree with a 2 QB system. Given that we run a HUNH offense, rotating QBs in and out would disrupt the rhythm of the offense and the rhythm of each QB.

Hopefully one QB will separate himself from the rest of the pack by next spring/summer.

Feb 2, 2017, 8:09 PM

If we have leaned anything about Dabo, we have learned that he will make the best two QB's push each other until the end of our first game with Kent State and up to the game with Allbums, then name a starter before that game!!!

It is possible for a college QB to make it to the NFL and

Feb 2, 2017, 8:34 PM

never start a college game.

The REAL USC (Southern Cal) had so many good QB's that playing time was a major problem.
Matt Leinert beat our the older Matt Cassel at QB one year. Cassel never started a game for Southern Cal, but he did get signed as a FA by the New England Patriots. Cassel backed up Brady for a few years and then became the starter in KC for a few years.

Our QB's and commits have so much talent that they could possibly do the same thing.

2014 should have taught the coaches

Feb 2, 2017, 9:08 PM

What we all know now the best guy plays. Plain and simple.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 2, 2017, 9:34 PM

Trust the Dabo!

Feb 2, 2017, 10:24 PM

If our Tigers have a "Joe Namath and Ken Stabler" that fit Clemson's style of football today, play both QBs. Those 2 worked out well in college and the next level in their day.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How did Florida do with Tebow and Leake, wasn't that the

Feb 3, 2017, 5:12 AM

last time they were good?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2017, 5:33 PM

Got to pick out the best one and give him the job.
Having special packages for a few plays a game will work .
But switching up QBs every other possession means that we are having trouble moving the ball.

Feb 6, 2017, 11:40 AM

Respectfully... I disagree.
"Winning" at all cost must be the standard.

Each team faced during the year will be different. Some will be great against the run but the passing game will be open. Some will be great against the pass but the run will be open. Use offensive tools as needed.

Replies: 52
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic