Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Camp Wrap: Question marks still abound as season nears
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 55
| visibility 1

New Story: Camp Wrap: Question marks still abound as season nears

Aug 19, 2015, 2:33 PM

Camp Wrap: Question marks still abound as season nears

The Clemson football team will assume a little more of a normal routine now that the camp portion of preseason practice schedule is over, and that means we can take a look at what we’ve learned over the past couple of weeks. Today we look at the biggest question marks. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coot! Lol, sorry had to do it.***

Aug 19, 2015, 2:36 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Lol....I thought for sure it would be..

Aug 19, 2015, 2:53 PM

DSP. But no. Et tu Brute?? hahahaha

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You scratched my orange tinted glasses.***

Aug 19, 2015, 2:53 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Just throwing the truth out there.........

Aug 19, 2015, 2:57 PM

This team is deep and talented to be sure. But also very young and the kicking game scares the ever lovin Clowney (doodoo) out of me

Re: Just throwing the truth out there.........

Aug 19, 2015, 3:01 PM

Hey David, what are your thoughts on Alex Barbir? Is he a guy we should be looking at throwing a scholarship towards?

Aug 19, 2015, 3:03 PM

I wondered if they would have, but with one already on scholly (Spence) I didn't know if they wanted two on scholarship the next few years. I thought he was worth it

Aug 19, 2015, 4:00 PM [ in reply to Just throwing the truth out there......... ]

Well it must be awful then bc, clowney doo doo is some stinking up the place chit!!! Who's fault is it that we don't have better kickers and punters on the roster?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2015, 5:39 PM

We have more kickers and punters on the roster that we have ever had... the question of being better will not be determined until they lace them up tight on 9/5! Over the years we have robbed the soccer team bunches of times. Cat-Man was not good the first few times on the field... He and Pinion might wind up being the best kickers we ever sent to the NFL.
The short kickoffs in the spring game bother me more that the field goals and extra points.

"Your" truth - not "the" truth! Thank goodness!***

Aug 19, 2015, 4:48 PM [ in reply to Just throwing the truth out there......... ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

whoa, whoa, whoa, don't be hateful...

Aug 19, 2015, 3:08 PM [ in reply to Lol....I thought for sure it would be.. ]

coot

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dhood has the best job ever. Gets to cover Clemson

Aug 19, 2015, 4:24 PM

sports and try his best to be apart of the RAG.

David, you're still being considered....but waiting on approval.

null

Re: New Story: Camp Wrap: Question marks still abound as season nears

Aug 19, 2015, 2:40 PM

sounds like a good time to ask if anyone wants to sell their ND tickets...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2015, 2:41 PM

SO, OTHER THAN HAVING NO KICKERS OR PUNTERS WE CAN COUNT ON, NO CONSISTENT OFFENSIVE LINE, A FRESHMAN LEFT TACKLE, AND NO LINEBACKER DEPTH, WE ARE GOOD TO GO. THAT ABOUT RIGHT. THINK I MAY JUST TURN IN MY TICKETS AND WAIT ON NEXT YEAR. GUESS "WE AINT TO DEEP" HUH. LOL

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2015, 2:47 PM

Aaaand stuff like this is why some of us point to roster management as Clemson football's biggest issue. LB depth is somewhat beyond the coaches' control (even though we could have better guys than the Davis twins without any trouble) but the rest is simply poor management.

Aug 19, 2015, 2:56 PM

SO, WE HAVE 9 LB'S STILL ON ROSTER, AFTER LOSING 2 GUYS, 1 TO INJURY AND 1 THAT QUIT. DO WE BUILD 1 QUIT PER YEAR INTO THIS ROSTER MANAGEMENT YOU SPEAK OF. HOW MANY INJURIES DO YOU BUILD IN. DO YOU USE YOUR CRYSTAL BALL TO KNOW WHICH POSITION WILL BE HIT BY QUITTERS AND INJURIES SO YOU CAN OVER SIGN THERE. THEY HAVE THIS BIG BOARD OVER THERE. ON THIS BOARD IS HOW MANY PLAYERS AT EACH POSITION THEY TARGET EVERY YEAR. MY GUESS ROGERS QUITTING WASNT BUILT INTO THOSE NUMBERS. WE HAVE MORE TALENT ON CAMPUS MAYBE IN OUR HISTORY AND SOME STILL WRING THEIR HANDS AT EVERY LITTLE BIT OF ADVERSITY. SAD ACTUALLY.

Aug 19, 2015, 3:00 PM

Like I said, the LB injuries and departures are beyond the coaching staff's control; only thing that could've changed would be the talent level for the freshmen. I'm primarily worried about the OL - we simply didn't recruit well enough at the OT position to support having such low numbers at the position. I believe that this is a reasonable argument given the likelihood of attrition at a position where injuries are commonplace historically since they're hitting on every play and often getting legs caught and knees twisted.

Aug 19, 2015, 3:11 PM

MAYBE WE DID GET CAUGHT A TAD SHORT ON THE TACKLE NUMBER, WHO KNOWS, I HAVENT SEEN THE BOARD, BUT IT SEEMS THEY ARE MAKING UP FOR LOST TIME WITH ALL THE GUYS THEY ARE PRESENTLY RECRUITING.

Aug 19, 2015, 4:05 PM

That sounds exactly like a day late or a dollar short!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Day late...maybe.

Aug 19, 2015, 6:15 PM

W/ only 85 scholarships EVERY team is going to have some unit (or 2) that are 'short' on players/talent.

The goal is how it is overcome.

Last year we were all whining about what an awful job we did w/ WRs and how could we let these guys transfer out, and the sky was falling.....then, turned out OK and now it's an embarrassment of riches. All in less than 12 months.

OT position heading that way now as well...next year the LB spot will be restocked....

Dollar short? We won 11 games...we'll likely do so again, go cry me a river.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Aug 19, 2015, 3:02 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Camp Wrap: Question marks still abound as season nears ]

What's with the caps bro? No need to yell.

I can't even begin to read that wall of caps text***

Aug 19, 2015, 3:30 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Camp Wrap: Question marks still abound as season nears ]

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Aug 19, 2015, 3:07 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Camp Wrap: Question marks still abound as season nears ]

The issue is taking guys on SCHOLARSHIP when they didn't deserve it. Renfrow earned a scholarship but walked on and got it because someone else quit right before the season. The issue is that Judah, JD, Amir, Greenlee, and soon to be Brian Dawkins Jr did not deserve scholarships. Don't get me wrong, I want them to be a part of the team but they should have to earn it like Renfrow did. Walk on and go fight for a scholly. Now I don't think roster management is the issue when it comes to the fact that we don't have any OL Depth. We have just missed on guys and had guys get injured. Oliver Jones got hurt and Battle left early. I think we won't see much drop off there, simply because we weren't great last year either. Next year we will be loaded at every position but I don't understand why we will have 5 guys on scholarship that only got it because of their daddy.

Clemson feels like a penny stock this year in the media.

Aug 19, 2015, 2:57 PM

Pumped up only to be dumped right before the season starts. Hopefully we can overcome the aforementioned issues or we are in for a long season.

Why is it that we can recruit at such a high level and yet miss some vital pieces? Is it that hard to find a decent kicker?

How can the coots have a heisman winning QB...

Aug 19, 2015, 3:23 PM

As a coach and "one of the greatest college coaches in history"

And yet they are so terrible in recruiting the QB position?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How can the coots have a heisman winning QB...

Aug 19, 2015, 3:34 PM

That's a very good question.

Re: How can the coots have a heisman winning QB...

Aug 20, 2015, 11:19 AM [ in reply to How can the coots have a heisman winning QB... ]

I have wondered the same thing for years. This topic has been the fodder of several afternoon discussions over an adult beverage. I seem to remember a comment by his wife that there was a support group for former Spurrier QB's because of the way he treated them. I would love to know if that was true.

Who peed in David's Wheaties??***

Aug 19, 2015, 2:58 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

I think this is a good, objective report. We are long on

Aug 19, 2015, 3:02 PM

potential, but short on experience. The really good news is that we have what we hope will be two glorified scrimmages for the first two live games, where we should be able to build some of that experience. There simply is no substitute for live game action, and film from it to be able to study and learn from. An undefeated season is certainly not impossible, but a lot of chips would have to fall our way to make it happen.

ps,
DEROBERTS, PLEASE STOP SHOUTING.

Aug 19, 2015, 3:03 PM

It isn't about the questions. It is about how they are answered. That's for the players and coaches to do, not me. I love the answers to some of the questions about this team, like who is throwing the ball and who will catch it.

We have a lot of answers

Aug 19, 2015, 5:44 PM

Alexander at CB will lock down his man
Gallman at RB should have 1000+ yards
Leggett will show out this year and be Mr. Clutch
Kearse will be a monster all season
Solid DTs all year
DW4!

Yes, kicking will be WAY down, but they will improve throughout the season. At the beginning of last year, Lakip was spotty at best. By the end of the year he was great.

Also, our return game should be improved. Between the improved return game and the declining kicking, it might be a bit of a wash.

We don't have to win them all, we just need to win enough to make the playoffs.

Buckle up and enjoy!

Is The Honeymoon Over?***

Aug 19, 2015, 3:13 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

^^^Underrated post is underrated***

Aug 19, 2015, 3:16 PM

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Somebody send Hood to Yosemite

Aug 19, 2015, 3:25 PM

for a 600 mile hike.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Doesn't every team has holes and potential problems?***

Aug 19, 2015, 3:27 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OSU, Baylor and TCU do not.***

Aug 19, 2015, 4:34 PM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

yeah but Baylor and TCU are from the Big XII

Aug 19, 2015, 6:09 PM

and its already been decided that they're only get to at most 1 team into the CFPlayoff.

so really we've still got 2 open spots left to fill....

of course, we're from the ACC and according to the national media that's worse than having no O-line at all.

smfh.

TCU OL was a HUGE ??? going in to last year.

Aug 19, 2015, 6:20 PM [ in reply to OSU, Baylor and TCU do not.*** ]

Now it's a strength...they were relying on a number of frosh OL last year for depth and support. This year, they'll have all SR and Soph on OL. They "missed" on a bunch a couple years ago.

This year...they have big time LB questions (really everywhere on D, similar to us actually, and they only play 2 LBs, but 2 of top 4 are frosh w/ one a true frosh).

They've really screwed up!

So easy to toss out they have no questions, but fact is...they also have some unknowns.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Appreciate your honesty David....

Aug 19, 2015, 3:55 PM

but now I think I'll go pour myself a glass of wine.

DEBBIE DOWNER.

Aug 19, 2015, 3:58 PM

OR DAVID DOWNER.

With all due respect to Brad Scott, he was never a great coach.

Aug 19, 2015, 4:36 PM

That comment about three years was to cover his butt because he wasn't very good at producing lineman.

Brad Scott was the product of Bobby Bowden and good recruiting at FSU. Thankfully, his son seems to be better than him.

Dabo Disagrees

Aug 19, 2015, 5:31 PM

Dabo has been really positive on Crowder and highlighted his consistency all pre-season. Have you been lying to us all along David?

I think most Tiger fans have these thought about this year

Aug 19, 2015, 5:32 PM

but don't have the cajones to say it. Special teams is huge. And when we don't have it...we all know the stories. When we do have it, we don't really talk about it. Well we don't have it this year in just about every facet of the kicking game and you're going to see it I'm afraid. I didn't have a whole lot of confidence in Lakip as it is. But throw a bunch of newbies in the mix and I think you're going to see some easy misses, some dropped snaps, some critical shanks, and giving easy field position when you can't have it. Kicker is going to be a topic all season.

Middle of the field I feel will be wide open this year for our defense. Who is our most reliable coverage type Linebacker? It was Anthony. Now its who? All our LB's are big guys who may be physical and gap pluggers but over their heads for 10-15 yards is going to be an issue. Plus I don't think we'll have the push or pass rush we had so QB's are going to be able to read and wait. Not good for our LB's. I think Korie was that next guy.

O-Lineman...you can't start a true frosh at Left Tackle unless you have no alternative, I've been thinking that since Battle left.. these are huge losses. That all require experience to be consistent. The only thing that throws a wrench in the downer side is DW4 and those WR's. They're special and may be able to pull us out of some holes. But going undefeated is almost possible without a CAt Man at kicker.

Hope Im wrong!

So what you are saying is....

Aug 19, 2015, 5:35 PM

1) Other than seeing Watson move on the field, every concern you started camp with, you ended camp with...which basically boils down to none of the question areas has a "NFL ready Superman" and "it's going to take a few real games to really judge it"

and

2) There is a chance...

OK, got it.

Go Tigers!!

He's saying...

Aug 19, 2015, 5:51 PM

He's saying...

gravity makes things fall
night is dark
players graduate
other obvious fact

can we make the playoffs? - won't answer
instead answers that we can't win every game.

leaves us with - players need to be good for us to win every game

I think David is trolling us

Aug 19, 2015, 5:41 PM

The kicking situation definitely scares the shxt out of me. Although I will say I'll feel a lot better with Lakip back in the fold. We don't need him to be perfect...just solid inside the 40. With the offense we have coming in, as long as the punter isn't shanking every kick or letting every snap sail over his head we should be just fine.
I've always thought you absolutely NEED 4 pieces in order to have a reasonable shot: an elite QB, a solid left tackle, a dominant pass-rusher, and a cover corner you can put on an island. Granted, Hyatt is still an unknown, but hopefully he'll come around with the quickness. Other than that, you've got to feel pretty good about what we're working with. Are there questions? Absolutely. But I think we have enough elite talent sprinkled around the field to offset our shortcomings. An undefeated season is always a longshot, but I think we've got as good a shot as anybody.

Aug 20, 2015, 1:43 PM

The 1980 Tigers were 6-5 and followed that with a championship in '81. I'm sure nobody in the world was predicting that. One never knows.

DH ...This article makes me believe (want to believe) Lakip

Aug 19, 2015, 5:56 PM

is soon coming back. I have missed any updates?

Kicker?? Only if we decide NOT to go for 2 - Punter??

Aug 19, 2015, 6:03 PM

Punter??? you must be kidding. Why, to give the Defense more practice?? please - we aint gotta punt.

Deer D Hood

Aug 19, 2015, 6:28 PM

You now owe me $12 for the beer I will now have to drink tonight to cope with your report. And no, I don't take coupons!

PS.....hope your Mom is continuing to recover. Just don't let her read this story.

Aug 19, 2015, 6:54 PM

I just want to know what Nikki thinks.....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Deer Mr Hood, Honesty is overrated sometimes.***

Aug 19, 2015, 6:59 PM

Re: Deer Mr Hood, Honesty is overrated sometimes.***

Aug 19, 2015, 10:54 PM

Here's to football. Maybe baseball will give us better reports.
Hope they band the players from tigernet as well.

Aug 19, 2015, 11:00 PM

you just don't love america...

Aug 20, 2015, 10:49 AM

Not worried about our ability to actually kick the football. I do worry about an unwillingness to step away from traditional kicking strategies and forcing an unnecessary dependency on probably the weakest aspect of the team. I've seen enough of those rugby punts to know that they can work and if you're good enough to stop the tigers from getting 10 yards in 4 downs better than 50% of the time then odds are you're just the better team. Give me a kicker that can hit it consistently inside the 20, go for it from the 40 to the 20 and roll it on the ground with good coverage outside of that, sky kick the kickoff to the 35 and tackle and I like our chances.

Aug 20, 2015, 12:42 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong here but Special Teams will cost a lot of teams a game here or there - not just Clemson. That's a VERY safe statement to make and highly likely to come true no matter who you're talking about.

Replies: 55
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic