Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Offense formation?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,403

New Offense formation?

Feb 22, 2020, 12:00 PM

This really sounds like a good idea...

https://rubbingtherock.com/2020/02/22/clemson-football-two-rb-sets-coming-2020-season/?utm_campaign=FanSided+Daily&utm_source=FanSided+Daily&utm_medium=email#

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Offense formation?

Feb 22, 2020, 12:32 PM

Sounds good to me.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2020, 12:47 PM

There's nothing new in that idea, but it'll probably happen and could be helpful. Unless we develop a slot receiver or a dependable TE (or both), we'll continue to struggle on 3rd down in the offense we ran last year.

A couple of years ago, we needed to throw the ball downfield and we adjusted to that when Trevor started playing QB. When we missed downfield, we had Renfrow on 3rd down. We also were able to run pretty well on 3rd down because the back 7 of defenses had to cover deep AND Renfrow, which opened the gaps for running plays. The OL also helped a lot to make us versatile.

Last year, teams (LSU in particular) recognized that if they could cover the deep sideline routes, they could take their chances getting to and on 3rd down, because we didn't run many routes into the middle of the field. So, they kept us from taking off the top of the defense and didn't have to worry too much about 3rd down. Our running game saw a stacked box or a nickle/dime defense a lot.

So, our need for this year (in my opinion) is to develop a couple of receivers that can run slants from the outside and the slot. We also need a TE with good hands who can run good short routes with separation. Those improvements will open up the short middle areas of the secondary and allow a running game to work, so long as we have some blockers on the OL, which I think we'll have.

I'd like to see a 21 and 22 personnel scheme, particularly on 3rd down and in the red zone, with the ability to run some go, slant and sluggo routes. The 2-back, 1 or 2-TE set should allow plenty of protection, while also allowing for 1 or 2 WRs to get loose and do some damage. If the running game can be good enough with this scheme, the result would be similar to the success that GaTech had with the occasional pass - total and devastating surprise.

I wouldn't want to completely go to this sort of running game, but it's a look that if added to the mix could be used to set up defensive alignments and confuse the read of our offensive tendencies, particularly if we have 2 TEs who can line up in the slot or as a 3-Back..... would make offensive shifts brutal to a defense.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love me some Renfrow hashtag 13.***

Feb 22, 2020, 1:23 PM

Feb 22, 2020, 1:10 PM

I was wondering about that also. Not too unlike BV adjusting his defense to complement the personnel on hand last season. Amazing how much talent we have at RB heading into 2020.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you work for Fansided?

Feb 22, 2020, 1:25 PM

I suddenly feel very skeptical.

Re: Do you work for Fansided?

Feb 22, 2020, 1:51 PM

No, as I said earlier, it is a cold day! Just spending time at the computer. I look at a lot of sites to get Clemson news, and post when they are good...note the earlier 247 posts, which of course, I would not do if I worked for anybody else!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,403
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic