Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Nebraska Football
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Nebraska Football

Aug 14, 2020, 12:59 AM

First, I'm as diehard Clemson fan as any, but I married into a big Nebraska family. I honestly never gave a rat's hind quarters for husker football til I met her in the early 90's.

Certainly, their stock has lowered while ours has risen. I'm saddened at how that program shriveled so quickly, and so consistently over these last year's. Change of conference didn't help and I so hated them and Colorado for goofing up the big 12.

Seeing that all at NE wanted to play, then gave in to big 10, commissioner is kinda scary considering the school's stance yesterday. Thumbscrews must have hurt badly!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nebraska Football

Aug 14, 2020, 2:53 AM

I just wish the guys could play. Sux the rug got rung put them

Aug 14, 2020, 7:06 AM

Can’t believe they caved after all the chest thumping. It is uncomfortable but we won’t ever end this march to serfdom if people don’t stand up and do uncomfortable things to resist the mob.

Aug 14, 2020, 7:27 AM

I thought Nebraska's move to the Big10 was a terrible idea. Moving robbed the Cornhuskers of their traditional opponents and put them in a league where basically no one gave a darn about playing them. Running from your history purely for the cash changed their whole program. Last year's games with Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern and Maryland had no appeal, no sense of rivalry and strike me as terrible road trips. Plus you know Nebraska has zero influence or importance to the powers they be in the Big10 when it comes to how to run the league.

Throw in the drop in the quality of their football in the last 20 years and it's easy to feel bad for the Nebraska fans. From 1970-2000, Nebraska was first in the country in winning percentage and total wins. Since they they rank 29th. Firing Solich seems to have been a terrible move too.

Not much good news for the Cornhuskers in a long long time. I hate, hate, hate we lost to them in the Gator Bowl.

Message was edited by: Harley®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't blame them for leaving the BigXII, though they are

Aug 14, 2020, 7:36 AM

not a natural fit in the BIG10. When they left, Texas and OK were running roughshod over the conference. Everybody else was a minion to them and always got the short stick when it came to scheduling, coverage and general input.

Texas forming an independent TV Network with ESPN was the biggest slap in the face to the rest of the conference. There was NO unity in the BIGXII and ended up being poorly run.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: I don't blame them for leaving the BigXII, though they are

Aug 15, 2020, 4:05 PM

We will never know, but I think a big factor in them leaving was TX and OK were eriously being courted by the PAC-12 and it looked like the Big Twelve would soon be extinct. NU knew they weren't wanted in the PAC-12 and it looked like Big Ten was their only alternative.

(This was when conference realignment was on-going and the thought was there were going to soon be 4 power conferences with the Big 12 being the odd man out.)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't blame them for leaving the BigXII, though they are

Aug 15, 2020, 7:01 PM

True. The Pac 12 was the other alternative for UT besides the B1G and OU flirted west also. If UT and OU could have joined the Pac 12 as a package deal with no baggage, it probably would have happened.

But alas, Texas politicians wouldn't let UT leave Baylor and Tech behind in that dumpster of a conference. Same in Oklahoma for OU and OK State.

I assure you the Little 12 remains a dumpster.

I've been to Clemson games all over the country since 1970

Aug 14, 2020, 8:33 AM

Nebraska has the best fans of any school I've ever seen us play. We kicked their butt in the '81 championship game when they just knew they were going to destroy us. Every Nebraska fan I came in contact with after the game was the model of good sportsmanship. Had several buy us drinks and say flat out, "you guys kicked our butts, you were the better team."

Re: I've been to Clemson games all over the country since 1970

Aug 15, 2020, 4:10 PM

I agree. When FSU went to Nebraska back in the 1980's and upset them 18-14 (the first big national victory in Bobby Bowden's regime and the game that Bobby descrbes as "probably the most important victory in the history of our program), FSU won the game with a last minute goal line stand.

After the game, the fans actually stood and cheered the FSU players as they ran off the field.

Aug 14, 2020, 8:45 AM

Conference's have rules just like any other organization. A team as a member of a conference chooses to be in that conference and to follow the rules of that conference. None of us know the terms of the contract Nebraska signed with the Big 10 but we do remember all the bells and whistles when Maryland jumped from the ACC to the Big 10. A school is either all in or writes a huge check to be all out. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Aug 14, 2020, 2:30 PM

Actually, the B10 gave huge financial bonuses to bail out the athletic department that would scale back over time. They front loaded the agreement with the twerps to buy them out basically.

Maryland woudl always complain that it has two NFL teams in their back yard as the reason they could not fill the seats. Meanwhile, OSU and Ped State never had that problem nor has any of the Florida teams. I guess Rutgers has a similar problem. However, when Maryland can't sell tickets because the Washiongton Racist are going 3-14 again nor the former Browns are playing, then there is a problem with YOUR product.

Worse for Maryland, much of their ticket sales are from other conference schools. That only last but so only as Byrd charm wears off faster than the low-grade roofies in their undergraduate's waterfountain

all those conference memberships included GOR (Grant of

Aug 14, 2020, 2:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Nebraska Football ]

Rights) when all the shifting occurred a while back- the conferences basically owns the schools rights for the period of the TV deal so if they leave they can't make $ until that expires and you can count on those contracts being renewed earlier enough that schools are basically stuck for a long long time unless they have some billionaire to support them while they go independent and try to join another conference

It is truly amazing to compare the fortunes of

Aug 14, 2020, 9:19 AM

Nebraska and Oklahoma football. They both used to run some version of the wishbone, or triple option, with heavy emphasis on the running portion of the game. Both programs had National Championship success during those years. But, then defenses started to evolve and be able to counter those offenses, and 85 scholarship limits came into effect. For whatever reasons, after the mid-90's, Nebraska just seemed to lose the ability to evolve, while Oklahoma turned into a "chuck it all over the yard" offense that is still at least competitive for Nattys year to year.

To me, Nebraska and Texas are similar stories. Each now has what was considered one of hottest young coaches around, and the results early on in both cases have been underwhelming.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Okla's benefits from it's close vicinity...

Aug 14, 2020, 10:10 AM

to the state of Texas, where there is an abundance of blue chip prospects. Neb doesn't enjoy this luxury.

It's all about leadership. An thar ain't enough o' that to

Aug 14, 2020, 9:57 AM

go around.

Aug 14, 2020, 11:00 AM

You guys don't seem to understand that CFB was leaving Nebraska behind before they moved from the B12. Nobody in that conference gave a care about them. Years ago, OU's main object of attention became UT, not Nebraska.

The B12 is also a sorry conference where one school (UT) controls everything and acts like a complete jerk to everyone else. It wasn't just Nebraska that realized this. So did A&M, Mizzou and Colorado and all 4 left when they had the chance. Other than maybe Colorado, none of them have any regrets leaving that dysfunctional mess behind.

Don't blame the B1G for NU's decline because that started a long time ago. NU is lucky they were able to move up. My wild guess is the B1G would decline them if they had a do over because NU was expected to jump start their football program after joining but that hasn't happened.

That all said, NU has some of the nicest, classiest fans in all sports. They are a credit to the school they cheer for. But on the field, I don't see them ever returning to dominance because CFB recruiting changes have left them out in the cold. In the B1G, NU will be able to generously fund their athletic department for the indefinite future without worry.

Aug 14, 2020, 2:18 PM

Well, the B12 wasn't exactly kind to Nebraska either. They won the B12 twice early on. Kansas State accomplished the same thing.

Firing Solich was likely their mistake. Nebraska's decline was also the rise of Brown's Texas and Stoops Oklahoma. Heck, Snyder crept in. It wasn't the small pond that Osborne had with the Big8. I think a lot at the tioome was they could never beat Texas or KSU. Solich might not have been Osborne, but 56-19 is still darn good. If Nebraska wanted to keep the option, well.... it would not have worked... but the coach was trying to evolve.

I still wonder how long Nebraska is willing to be a minor player in the B10. They didn't like being under Texas's thumb.... they now just traded texas for Mich/PedState/OSU. Those schools could are less about Westrern Iowa.

Very Tennessee like with fuller. Tenn may recover

Aug 15, 2020, 3:37 PM

To a degree but never what they were. The Callahan yrs ended Nebraska ever being relevant again.

Fulmer***

Aug 15, 2020, 3:38 PM

Nebraska Football will never be what they used to be.......

Aug 15, 2020, 12:36 AM

..and you can look at the recruiting rankings and tell it's not getting any better. It's odd to listen to a Scott Frost post game presser, he always talks in the past tense "..what Nebraska used to be..", "... hard to believe that Iowa is now a bigger, stronger team than Nebraska..", blah, blah, blah. Almost as if Nebrasker is supposed to win while everyone else should just stand still. Nebraska has gone the way of others powers like Yale, Notre Dame and Ancient Egypt....they will not come back. I know that's a tough corn kernel to swallow but it's true, everything, including demographics is against them. I read an article a few years ago that said at it's present rate of decline the State of Iowa will not be able to field a single HS football team in 30 years..and this is going to trickle into other parts of the Midwest as well......

Aug 15, 2020, 7:05 PM

Q: What does the "N" stand for on the side of Nebraska's helmets?

A: Knowledge.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic