Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
NCAA threatens to boot the whole state of California if bill
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

NCAA threatens to boot the whole state of California if bill

Sep 11, 2019, 2:29 PM

becomes law:

https://footballscoop.com/news/ncaa-threatens-boot-whole-state-california-bill-becomes-law/

It would be really funny to see California barred from NCAA competition - would crush the PAC-12 - turn them into the PAC-8 over night.

Not that I have any love for the NCAA, but I despise politicians even more than the NCAA. Just about everything a politician touches turns to crap so the last thing college football needs is politicians getting involved, particularly individual State legislatures.

The NCAA is going to have to come to grips that the tremendous amount of money in College Football is going to drive changes in how the athletes are treated. The NCAA can either continue to fight this in court (where they will probably lose) or start working with College Presidents, Athletic Directors, and Coaches to figure out how to further compensate players while maintaining a balanced compensation package across the full spectrum of programs (cash strapped programs to well funded programs).

I don't like the idea of outright paying the players (I like the current model with common sense increases in player allowances), but the writing is on the wall and the day is coming where the athletes are going to get paid for playing college football. My fear is that when that day comes college football (and probably other college sports as well) will forever be changed and not in a good way. We will probably end up with more disparity between the haves and have-nots where whoever has the most money can essentially buy their way to a championship. If you think the transfer portal is crazy now - wait until it becomes a free agency portal where the blue chip players vie for whichever college can pay the most for their "services".

The writing is on the wall - the NCAA had better come up with a solution or the courts are going to do it for them and I doubt the NCAA will like a court solution.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NCAA threatens to boot the whole state of California if bill

Sep 11, 2019, 2:34 PM

Dabo has said if they start paying college athlete's he might as well go to the NFL because there will be no difference.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2019, 2:35 PM

Yeah, the NCAA is about to lose that one. Don't fight a government over greed...

I agree with athlete compensation... but I think that revenue should be held in a trust and paid upon graduation (based on years actively on the roster) from the school in equal amounts across all D1 players, walk-ons to TL. First, it incentives graduation and if you don't graduate, you don't get the cut. You can't lean on a bigger TV market and everyone from the greatest -Clemson Player- to even Wake get the same cut. I would include the coots but they won't graduate.

Sep 11, 2019, 2:43 PM

Yep, start a 401k for them that they can't really touch until retirement. Start them saving. Novel ideer.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2019, 3:20 PM [ in reply to Re: NCAA threatens to boot the whole state of California if bill ]

this is the best idea I've seen so far.

Sep 11, 2019, 6:01 PM [ in reply to Re: NCAA threatens to boot the whole state of California if bill ]

Do you have an amount in mind for our women's rowing team members? Singling out a few players who have marketability is not going to hack it in court. Remember Title 9?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They will not be missed

Sep 11, 2019, 2:36 PM

Signed, The College Football Playoff

Maybe this will cause the NCAA to collapse ***

Sep 11, 2019, 2:41 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This just might remove the problem with the CFB Playoff

Sep 11, 2019, 2:43 PM

having Five power 5 conferences. :)

Way to go California! :)

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Bull.. the NCAA should get rid of the relaxed

Sep 11, 2019, 2:44 PM

Admission rules.

Choose a football team from the student population.

Blame the ncca and schools all you want...but the majority of money earned goes right to the school...to the students.

The biggest people making a killing in collegiate sports are the coaches.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Sep 11, 2019, 2:51 PM

Wait till the players get the TAX bill
that's the only reason California
would ever think of students getting paid
also the State where the player is from
will also want in on the action not to mention
Fed IRS
Yes start paying them Welcome to the REAL World

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'bout time.***

Sep 11, 2019, 3:00 PM

All of the P5 schools should collectively boot the NCAA***

Sep 11, 2019, 3:01 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

They need to stop merchandise with active player's names

Sep 11, 2019, 3:16 PM

It is unfair for the university to additionally profit on top of an already profitable game just because John Smith is good and plays for them. Sell generic and non-named merchandise and once a player leaves the program, you can sell a Smith jersey. It does seem unfair that Smith might garner all kinds of pre-game hype and be the center of attention, but at the end of the day, the focus should be on the team and not the player.

Are we gonna pay the 3rd string guard? How about the volleyball player? Who decides whether a player is worth paying?

Re: They need to stop merchandise with active player's names

Sep 11, 2019, 3:28 PM

Official merchandise doesn't have names. People will equate TL with 16 but it won't have his name on the back.

My understanding is that no merchandise with a current

Sep 11, 2019, 3:30 PM [ in reply to They need to stop merchandise with active player's names ]

player's name on it is an authorized item. The jersey's you see people wearing with a current player's name on it is either counterfeit or homemade and not authorized by the University or NCAA. I think the Tiger Tailgate show mentioned this during last weeks broadcast. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any easy way to stop the counterfeit market. You can buy jersey's and stuff with former player name's on it no problem (i.e. #4 Watson etc...).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Life isn't fair, and excellence deserves compensation.

Sep 11, 2019, 6:03 PM [ in reply to They need to stop merchandise with active player's names ]

Pay the players for sales from their name. Period.

Sep 11, 2019, 3:18 PM

The gutless bunch who can even enforce transfer rules or academics. Yeah right

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2019, 3:20 PM

California is obviously trying to boost their recruiting and what better way than by bribing the athletes?

Sep 11, 2019, 9:31 PM

bingo

Sep 11, 2019, 10:10 PM [ in reply to Re: NCAA threatens to boot the whole state of California if bill ]

PAY'EM!!!

But first, drop all athletic scholarships!! If they are getting paid, they should pay for their "education" like all the rest of the students!!

We're in NC and my wife said full out-of-state tuition to Clemson for my daughter would've been $50,000 a year!! She's not an athlete but a huge Tiger football fan and she is attending UNCG with LOTS of academic scholarship$$ and grants. We're using the extra $$ to go to football games ;)

How many 18-23 year old's do you know that make $25,000-$75,000 a year?

I have another idea that I posted several years ago on another site. How about we run around the Kalifornication border with a concrete quickie saw and kick out in the ocean.

ST

Sep 11, 2019, 3:21 PM

I don't see the lawsuit with the NCAA. Their game and their rules unless California is going to tackle an antitrust suit. I see Stanford suing California. California would be making a law interfering with Stanford regarding interstate commerce.

I would love to see an antitrust suit, but I doubt it happens.

Sep 11, 2019, 3:37 PM

Other states will let California go through the process and get through the courts and if successful, more will jump on the band wagon. The NCAA will eventually be as extinct as the dinosaurs and we'll be watching some version of the XFL rather than our beloved College football. This sux if comes to fruition.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2019, 3:39 PM

Liberals will stop at nothing until they have ruined everything we hold dear, even football

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

all of the other conferences

Sep 11, 2019, 3:46 PM

need to join in and say boot them boot us all.

Sep 11, 2019, 3:47 PM

The state can pass all the laws it wants but all this will do is make these players marketing their name ineligible for college thus probably the NFL. Who is going to pay a kid 3 years out of high school who hasn't played college ball and showcase what he can do. Good luck Cali!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: never notice from my house......

Sep 11, 2019, 4:04 PM

build the wall!

;)

There's a saying that I heard years ago that

Sep 11, 2019, 9:26 PM

a lot of trends originate on the west coast, then eventually move east.

What worries me is that California will be initiating a trend toward professional athletics on our nation's campuses, a movement I oppose. Rather, monthly stipends for incidental expenses paid to certain (predesignated) athletes IMO would be just and fair.

Re: There's a saying that I heard years ago that

Sep 11, 2019, 9:44 PM

Will college football follow NASCAR’s demise? Expanding to the point of losing fans.

Sep 11, 2019, 10:55 PM

Most of us agree athletes should be compensated in some way. The problems are (1) choosing which athletes, (2) how they are compensated and (3) how much they get?

The concept is not an issue. It's the details.

If compensated for their likeness, wealthy alumni could make any athlete they choose a multi-millionaire very quickly. Recruiting could instantly become nothing more than a bidding war.

If stipends are given, the litigation of who to include and exclude would be very complicated. Also, the athletic budgets of most colleges barely break even and the disparity between "haves" and "have nots" would explode.

I have yet to see anyone propose a system that wouldn't cause an explosion of lawsuits.

#1 rule on why things happen? Follow the money!

Sep 12, 2019, 2:32 AM

Majority of California representatives are what profession? Lawyers, right? Any guess on how many lawsuits will arise if this law is passed? Well, lots!

Old but true: “If A Town Has One Lawyer, He Starves; If It Has Two Lawyers, They Both Get Rich.”

No matter what the final outcome of all the lawsuits on compensating student athletes, the one absolute irrefutable truth is: the lawyers get paid. Win, lose, or no decision, all the attorneys in a lawsuit get paid. Even the pro bono attorneys - just paid by earlier cases.

Well, at least local TV stations will reap rewards from even more law firms bidding for air time commercials during local news programs! One call, that’s . . . .

The transfer portal is bad enough

Sep 12, 2019, 2:49 AM

We've got a truly beautiful, original American game in College Football & it's been a source of fun & joy for millions of folks for - as they say - 150 years. If it turns into outright free agency, it will utterly destroy all of that.

Sep 12, 2019, 4:11 AM

Here is the problem with player compensation. Almost all schools actually lose money on some sports. Rowing, swimming, etc. The money from football pays for those sports at least in part. Now if they pay the football players, they will have to pay the players in sports that lose money as well. Rather than do that, they will likely eliminate those sports that lose money. You will also get in a situation where the 5* QB will want more than the 3* linemen. When they decide to pay these college players, that will open a huge can of worms. It will ruin what has always made college football fun. Many colleges will likely just end their athletic programs period, because some already lose money.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic