Topic: My unecessary thoght on the QB situation
Replies: 14   Last Post: Sep 18, 2018 2:08 PM by: smitty1959®
[ Tiger Boards - Football ]
Start New Topic
Replies: 14  

My unecessary thoght on the QB situation

[1]
Posted: Sep 18, 2018 10:31 AM

For the record, I think our coaches are top notch and they obviously know what they are doing. I am also a big fan of KB as a person.

However......

It's obvious that KB and TL are at the very least "even" at this point as far as performance and total snaps (I think TL has looked better).

Wouldn't it be in Clemson's best interest if all things are even to play the younger guy w/ a much higher ceiling? Why would we be splitting reps evenly if TL obviously is the better talent and is currently EVEN w/ Kelly Bryant in snaps and stats. It makes no sense to me whatsoever. We need TL to have as much experience as possible when playing in the playoff instead of basically a half season of experience.

TL currently only has 8 less TD passes in basically 1.5 games in playing time than KB had all year in 2017. It makes no sense.

I don't think that they're even

Posted: Sep 18, 2018 10:40 AM

Isn't KB the team's second leading rusher on the team? KB gives the Tigers a 3rd option (pass, handoff to running back or he keeps it). Not sure Trevor is where he needs to be in reference to him keeping it and running.

Go Tigers AND Tiger Nation!

2018 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg

Re: I don't think that they're even

Posted: Sep 18, 2018 10:45 AM

Yeah, but we really don't need KB to rush the ball. It is nice as far as scrambling goes, but I would rather the rushing attempts go to Etienne.

It's obvious that the coaches think

Posted: Sep 18, 2018 2:08 PM

differently than you and several others on here. I'm putting my money on the coaches. Don't take it personally my friend!

2018 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg

while it's nice - the problem IS that KB is rushing too much

Posted: Sep 18, 2018 11:01 AM

TL will open up the run game ( because he can throw to 4 diff TE's in a game like last week )

the running game should goto our stable of RB's

I think you will se TL get a LOT MORE playing time t G tch

They are gonna play him more and more

null

So...

Posted: Sep 18, 2018 11:02 AM

if KB is such a threat to run does he not negate the benefits open passing lane with his poor ability to hit a deep pass? Not arguing so much as wondering if KB can live on short passes and putting his body on the line when he defers to running rather than finding an open receiver due to his limited ability to check down from one receiver to another.

We're not running a triple option offense here.

2018 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Re: I don't think that they're even

[1]
Posted: Sep 18, 2018 11:15 AM

KB rushing does not make us a great offense.
We scored 2 FG vs Bama last year. We rushed KB 8 of 12 actual offensive plays in the 4th quarter vs A&M. And did nothing. We didn’t recruit guys like Tee, Ross, and ETN to sit and watch us snap the ball to the QB and have him run it. Once the opponent is on to this it’s over. Seems Bama has learned this lesson.

I don't think a running QB is necessary.

Posted: Sep 18, 2018 1:06 PM

In fact, I don't think it is optimal, especially with the incredible offensive talent we have.

As I've posted previously, I like the idea of a mobile QB who can escape pressure to deliver a pass or perhaps scramble for yardage. I'm okay with QB sneaks. But it makes little sense to me to force the issue with designed QB runs and RPO plays where the QB keeps it, when:

-It greatly increases the QB's chance of injury (Stoudt, Watson, and Bryant have all missed playing time due to injury with this approach).
-It hinders our ability to pass downfield to talented receivers such a Higgins, Rodgers, etc.
-It limits the touches our talented RBs like Etienne get.

Kelly is a very good athlete, and there is no debating his running skills. I get that running the QB gets us an additional blocker. But why would we prefer to run him at the exclusion of getting our top playmakers involved? It just doesn't seem optimal to me.

2018 white level member

Re: My unecessary thoght on the QB situation

Posted: Sep 18, 2018 10:40 AM

I think your wish will be granted in due time.

One of these guys is going to emerge for November.

[1]
Posted: Sep 18, 2018 10:49 AM

Just got to give it time to play out.

But either due to an injury, an incredible game, a really awful game... Something is going to happen where either KB or TL is going to become the main guy. Doesn't mean we won't have some packages for the other guy. But that's what the coaching staff is expecting imo.

I think they believe that guy is going to be TL, for the record. But to win over this veteran team, the coaches are just waiting for him to do it consistently in a few games.

Circumstance will dictate a change at the QB starting order?

Posted: Sep 18, 2018 11:04 AM

I think that should be obvious.

Posted: Sep 18, 2018 10:50 AM

I'm looking forward to TL taking over as much as anybody else, but KB showed his experience and leadership in the A&M game.

[1]
Posted: Sep 18, 2018 10:58 AM

We don't have to show our best game until we face an opponent with equal talent, a good coaching staff and has a shot at winning our division. If the goal really is to make the playoff then our strategy to build a hard nose, well seasoned football team is much more important that who starts at quarterback during the building/development process.

It doesn't have to happen now. Knowing that is what makes me patient with the process. I hope others see it my way for I've found a comfort zone.

Yes,

Posted: Sep 18, 2018 11:17 AM

And I really think, despite what the coaches say publicly, that they would like a decently firm starter (80% of the snaps type of deal) by November.

My opinion is, they want TL to be the guy and to use KB "situationally". A change up to start the 2nd half. Bring him in the redzone, etc. Something extra for the defense to think about during a game.

mountaineers I see your point and you're welcome to make it

Posted: Sep 18, 2018 11:08 AM

but we have to be running out of horses to beat on this subject by now. Seems like now it's ummm playing the role of a troll so to speak but everyone is entitled to his/her opinion and discussing Clemson football is why this board exists so why not?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

Replies: 14  

TIGER TICKETS

FB GAME: Florida State
FOR SALE: 2 tickets in Clemson section 16 at FACE VALUE of $100 each ($200 total)

Buy or Sell CU Tickets and More in Tiger Tickets!

[ Tiger Boards - Football ]
Start New Topic
738 people have read this post