Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My meaningless opinion on Chad Morris and Vandy.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1,927

My meaningless opinion on Chad Morris and Vandy.

Jan 14, 2014, 3:56 PM

If I'm in Chad's shoes, I would think realistically about what I could accomplish in Vandy immediately. As one of the hottest OC's in football, you cannot take that job for the long term. It's potentially a dead end job where the whole "first HC job is your last" cliche could hold true.

Conversely, if you think the foundation is laid at Vandy for you to go in there and have a "huge" season (8 or 9 wins) within 2 years, then I think it would be a great stepping stone.

He needs HC experience (most likely) to land a major job. But, is it worth the risk going to a school like Vandy who has to play against more talented teams just about every week? I'm not sure. I think it comes down to whether or not he believes he can win immediately. Otherwise, stick it out here another year and see what happens next year in the coaching carrousel.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly what ive been saying.

Jan 14, 2014, 4:06 PM

Vandy is a huge risk IMO and this year would be an extremely hard year to come in and have any success and if he were to jump the gun and go and fall flat on his face then he's taking 3 steps back instead of 1 step forward. I think he waits for a much more secure job with none of the baggage that vandy is currently carrying

The problem with this is it doesn't appear

Jan 14, 2014, 4:09 PM

There any better opportunities out there for him. He's been passed over in ever job he's reached out to the past two years.

Heck, he might not even get offered the Vandy job. I'm not sure why folks are acting as though if he waits one more a can't miss opportunity like Florida will present itself.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Re: The problem with this is it doesn't appear

Jan 14, 2014, 4:37 PM

That's actually not true. He wasn't "passed over" so much as he "passed".

When he interviewed at NC State and Texas Tech last year, they were apparently taken quite aback by The Chad's demands - he apparently wanted a huge budget for hiring staff - not just coaches, but a bunch of additional support staff - and he alsowanted massive revisions to the AD and S&C. In short, he wanted a level of control over those programs they simply weren't willing to cede. And apparently The Chad did more "interviewing" of the NC State and Texas Tech reps than they did of him.

He wants an almost Nick Saban level of control over the program he takes over. NC State and Texas Tech were looking for employees.

Chad Morris wants to be a head coach, sure - but he apparently isn't willing to walk into a situation where he feels the elements aren't in place to build a consistent winner. Considering he's making $1.3 million - plus substantial incentives - to simply be an OC at Clemson and doesn't have to recruit much, be on the road, or handle a lot of the more political aspects of the job - it's a pretty sweet gig for him. Somebody is going to have to offer him the right situation before he takes it, and money doesn't appear to be the biggest concern he has going.

He'll get it - it's pretty much accepted he's the closest thing to Gus Malzahn out there - but I also think it could be another year. This year was particularly quiet in terms of HC vacancies in college football (only Texas, Southern Cal, and Penn State, among the major powers) changed HC's, which in turn caused a bit of shuffling underneath them as they raided Louisville, Washington, Vandy, etc, for coaches...but precisely because it was so quiet this year, next year is likely to be an absolute bloodbath. Start counting HC's on the hot seat who (somehow) survived this year...just off the top of my head in the SEC and ACC, I see Johnson (GT), Beamer (VT), London (UVA), Fedora (UNC), Doeren (NC State), Mullen (Mississippi State), Beilema (Arkansas), Muschamp (UF)...the list goes on and on. And of course, Richt at UGA always seems to be a bad year away from finally falling off the edge, and there's a bunch of others who don't have enough in the bank to survive a dreadful season - in particular Pitt and Syracuse are going to have to start showing (and soon) they can be competitive in the ACC or there's going to be changes made there. The Chad is also from Big 12 territory...and there's plenty of places, like TCU and West Virginia, where there's coaches struggling right now too.

If The Chad waits, he'll do a whole lot better than Vandy - as in, probably on the order of Arkansas, VT, or TCU, and I'm confident he knows that already.

Jan 14, 2014, 4:56 PM

i think he may have overplayed his hand against NCSU, but really wanted the TT job, but Kingsbury had the inside track. if you beleive that Chad is guided by financial security, realize that Vandy will pay almost triple his salary and probaby give him about 2 more years of a contract. This equates to roughly $10m-$14m in favor of Vandy. However, I believe the coaches like Chad are driven by accomplishment and the goal to get to a special job like his alma mater @ A&M. Frankin showed that Vandy is a great platform and you don't have to win every game. Good coaches like Chad want total control, which only comes w/ being a HC. I believe Chad was somewhat picky last year, but now realizes that he needs to make his move. It will be hard for his stock to improve next year. I think if Vandy offers, he takes the job in a heartbeat. & I think he'll be successful at Vandy.

Jan 14, 2014, 5:16 PM

So you believe Vandy will pay Chad Morris - someone with no head coaching experience - $3.6 million for 6 years or a guaranteed $21.6 million? Franklin's last renegotiation just reached $3 million and his initial salary was only $1.5 million. The Vandy BOT is never going approve that kind of money for a first year, first time head coach. The closest comparison for an SEC coach with no previous head coaching experience would be Muschamp. He has a lifetime of college experience next to Morris, was the head coach in waiting at one of the most powerful programs in college sports, and his total compensation breaks down to roughly $2.75 million per year - from one of the wealthiest athletic departments in sports. I'm not saying he won't take the job - but after paying agents and lawyers I doubt he'll even come out ahead financially. He's banking on that second contract - which if you're good enough for Vandy to want to lock you down you are probably going elsewhere.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I've said this before. Morris will likely transition

Jan 14, 2014, 5:31 PM

into the HC position he wants at a major school by first getting his feet wet at a smaller school. Not sure where to classify Vanderbilt in terms of size but, no bigtime program is going to "experiment" with an unknown who hasn't first had success as a HC.

do you know how long I have waited to see a Q post?

Jan 14, 2014, 10:36 PM [ in reply to Re: The problem with this is it doesn't appear ]

i miss sniper kitty.

CUP1 says hello.

Not many left on TI.

^^hoping The Chad will be avialable when SOS retires***

Jan 14, 2014, 6:42 PM [ in reply to The problem with this is it doesn't appear ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Remember Charlie Strong..........worked out for him.***

Jan 14, 2014, 8:01 PM [ in reply to The problem with this is it doesn't appear ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My opinion is much more simple and worthless.

Jan 14, 2014, 6:41 PM

The man just isn't ready for a D1 HCing job. He hasn't been in the NCAA coaching world long enough.

Dabo had many years of dealing with D1 football. Talk about hiring a rookie!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

according to your logic

Jan 14, 2014, 7:57 PM

A position coach with 7-10 years experience is more prepared than a coordinator with 4-5 years? What world do you live in?

Are you really looking out for Chad's best interest as a coach or your best interest as a Clemson fan?

worked out pretty good for the last Vandy coach***

Jan 14, 2014, 8:41 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My meaningless opinion on Chad Morris and Vandy.

Jan 14, 2014, 10:24 PM

Coaching at Vandy is potentially dangerous. If you do not win, which is a real possibility, you might shut out any opportunity to advance and may have to step backwards in order to redeem yourself. Franklin did have some decent teams, but he was also met with the perfect storm of the SEC east being what it was and some favorable scheduling. His SEC record was 2-6, 5-3, and 4-4.

Couple this with a possible implosion of this recruiting class and any new coach there may not see the same success if Florida and Tenn ever get their act together.

Mine: 1- appreciate what he has done already for us and

Jan 14, 2014, 10:30 PM

expect him to appreciate what we have done for him, 2- I'd never want to be so selfish as to hold a man back from a rightfully earned promotion (his gimmick offense is no gimmick as it turns out..) but going back to my previous point, I think CM would NEVER leave us hanging. I'd hope he would be the 1st in the hunt for his predecessor, if that be the case.

I give...time for bed. not predecessor but replacement***

Jan 14, 2014, 10:34 PM

Replies: 15
| visibility 1,927
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic