Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My annual pseudo-conflict on rivalry weekend
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

My annual pseudo-conflict on rivalry weekend

Nov 22, 2017, 2:11 PM

I can't stand the Gamecocks. Not the team, not the bulk of their fans, and absolutely love it when they lose. All the better when they lose big, and/or to a team that sucks (Kentucky, Vandy, Citadel, etc). Absolutely love it.

But - I love our rivalry. Their is so much history behind it, so many great stories that go way back, and some not so great from not so far back. But outside of our little state, generally, no one cares. I would love to see Clemson-SC up there with Michigan/Ohio St, Fla/FSU, USC/UCLA, etc, so that the rest of the nation can experience the great history this rivalry has, and how completely we have dominated them. But for that to happen, there have to be national stakes on the line. Generally, they suck, so no one cares. Rarely, but once or twice in the last hundred+ years, we've sucked, so no one cares. Rarely are we both "up" at the same time.

I was actually kind of glad last night when I saw they were ranked. I think it's a joke, honestly, but to be playing a ranked team (which is usually just a rank team) will help our exposure and help our case in the CFP, as well as our SOS. I love it when they go 0-11 or whatever, but when we beat them then, no one cares. Beat a team with a decent record, and it matters and people take note.

So anyway, I think this will be a good year for our rivalry. It matters, for a change, outside of our little state. Hopefully the announcers will give some good background on history of the rivalry (not likely), and the national audience will see the true pathetic nature of Gamecock football and their fanbase (highly likely).

GO TIGERS!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My annual pseudo-conflict on rivalry weekend

Nov 22, 2017, 2:28 PM

UCLA vs USC being pathetic has not hurt that rivalry. Neither has Washington/Washington St. it is all based on perceptions fed us my media sources.

Re: My annual pseudo-conflict on rivalry weekend

Nov 22, 2017, 2:33 PM

Yeah, but both of those have been good at the same time in the past. That's what cemented it as a "big game." Clemson/SC has never had that, much less on any remotely consistent basis.

I'm not conflicted at all...I'd prefer they be 0-11

Nov 22, 2017, 3:19 PM

every year leading into this game. I'm fine with them bringing down our strength of schedule. I hope they lose every game they play, in every sport, ever. I don't care what outside perception or media perception is...I just want USuCk to lose.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: I'm not conflicted at all...I'd prefer they be 0-11

Nov 22, 2017, 7:31 PM

I agree. I think that it is tough to beat a year where we win more games in Williams Brice than they do.

WRONG! 98-99 coot seasons, some of the best memories, evah!

Nov 22, 2017, 3:22 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

I, for one, have never had any reservations . . .

Nov 22, 2017, 3:34 PM

about the regional/inter-state nature of the profile of this rivalry. I'd prefer Clemson's national glory to be tied up with other teams and our conference championship than it is with SC. If and when SC is good, and it helps our schedule, then that effect is a silver lining in those years, I guess, but really I'm just fine with them being our whipping boy. I mean, if they were good more often, then the price we'd pay for a higher profile rivalry would likely be more losses to our rival than we'd otherwise have. We're typically going to have opportunities against FSU, Louisville, Miami, VT, or non-conference teams other than SC to help our national stature. I'm just fine with SC playing the part of the red-headed step child we can usually rely on take one on the chin from us.

I remember during the Clemson football doldrums of the 90's and early 2000's, there were some years where, despite our frustration with FSU, GT, and the ACC generally, it was a sort of salve on the wounds of the season to at least know you could smack your instate punk-rival in the mouth leading into the holidays. It made the difficulties of the season go down much easier.

and if you think abou . . .

Nov 22, 2017, 3:36 PM

I'm not sure what having a high profile rivalry does for us as fans within the rivalry. Most of our hate and bitterness only has cache with our rival. Rubbing your friends or co-workers face in it is fun if their gamecocks, but what do I care if the Michigan or Texas or Stanford fanbases know that we dominate the chickens?

correction* "they're"

Nov 22, 2017, 3:36 PM

d

TU for "correction* "they're""

Nov 22, 2017, 6:00 PM

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic