Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Missouri president has resigned
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 84
| visibility 1

Missouri president has resigned

Nov 9, 2015, 11:29 AM

nm

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Gutless. Dude is no better than Spurrier

Nov 9, 2015, 11:30 AM

he gave in to the PC crowd. Hope he never works in academia again.

can't believe he couldn't talk this out

Nov 9, 2015, 11:31 AM

with everyone before it got to this

You can't negotiate with terrorists

Nov 9, 2015, 11:34 AM

He wants freedom and dialogue, they want Marxism. Those two things are mutually exclusive.

Thinking that the students he works for are terrorists

Nov 9, 2015, 11:35 AM

May have been his first mistake.

Well, when they give you two options...

Nov 9, 2015, 11:39 AM

and one is resigning and the other is forcing you to deny other students their constitutional rights...

What constitutional rights are you referring to?***

Nov 9, 2015, 11:42 AM

What I read said that he was not given the option to stay

Nov 9, 2015, 12:09 PM [ in reply to Well, when they give you two options... ]

by the protesting students. His resignation was mandatory. I haven't been following it too closely so I may be wrong but I thought that's what I heard.

Obviously, he had the option of ignoring their demands.

null

Re: can't believe he couldn't talk this out

Nov 9, 2015, 11:37 AM [ in reply to can't believe he couldn't talk this out ]

Did you see their demands?

They had no interest in talking.

Their first demand was for him to apologize for being white.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Yes I read it

Nov 9, 2015, 11:58 AM

and it is ridiculous to say the least.

Here is the list:

1. We demand that University of Missouri System President, Tim Wolfe, writes a hand-written apology to Concerned Student 1-9-5-0 demonstrators and holds a press conference in the Mizzou Student Center reading the letter. In the letter and at the press conference, Tim Wolfe must acknowledge his white privilege, recognize that systems of oppression exits, and provide a verbal commitment to fulfilling Concerned Student 1-9-5-0 demands. We want Tim Wolfe to admits his gross negligence, allowing his driver to hit one of the demonstrators, consenting to the physical violence of bystanders, and lastly refusing to intervene when Columbia Police Department used excessive force with demonstrators.

2. We demand the immediate removal of Tim Wolfe as UM system president. After his removal, a new amendment to thd UM system policies must be established to have all future UM system president and Chancellor positions be selected by a collective of students, staff, and faculty of diverse backgrounds.

3. We demand that the University of Missouri meets the Legion of Black Collegians’ demands that were presented in the 1969 for the betterment of the black community.

4. We demand that the University of Missouri creates and enforces comprehensive racial awareness and inclusion curriculum throughout all campus departments and units, mandatory for all students, faculty, staff and administration. This curriculum must be vetted, maintained, and overseen by a board comprised of students, staff and faculty of color.

5. We demand that by the academic year 2017-18, the University of Missouri increases the percentage of black faculty and staff members campus-wide by 10 percent.

6. We demand that the University of Missouri composes a strategic 10-year plan on May, 1 2016 that will increase retention rates for marginalized students, sustain diversity curriculum and training, and promote a more safe and inclusive campus.

7. We demand that the University of Missouri increases funding and resources for the University of Missouri Counseling Center for the purpose of hiring additional mental health professionals, particularly those of color, boosting mental health outreach and programming across campus, increasing campus-wide awareness and visibility of the counseling center, and reducing lengthy wait times for prospective clients.

8. We demand that the University of Missouri increases funding, resources and personnel for the social justice centers on campus for the purpose of hiring additional professionals, particularly those of color, boosting outreach and programming across campus and increasing campus-wide awareness and visibility.

Don't let drew hear you say that

Nov 9, 2015, 8:49 PM

He'll come at you for your white privilege.

Nope

Nov 9, 2015, 12:25 PM

You're not very good with the words coming out of your own mouth, work on your own before you try and speak for me.

So you agree that

Nov 9, 2015, 12:30 PM

the demands are absurd and that white privilege isn't a thing? That shocks me.

I try to have a nuanced view of the world

Nov 9, 2015, 12:32 PM

Can their demands be over the top, while at the same time, their point be valid? Yes, I believe that to be the case.

his fault for turning a blind eye to what was going on***

Nov 9, 2015, 1:18 PM [ in reply to can't believe he couldn't talk this out ]

Re: his fault for turning a blind eye to what was going on***

Nov 9, 2015, 2:53 PM

nice to see that queenie the racist has joined the conversation.

null

Re: Gutless. Dude is no better than Spurrier

Nov 9, 2015, 11:31 AM [ in reply to Gutless. Dude is no better than Spurrier ]

no one in academia works anyway. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As the school president

Nov 9, 2015, 11:33 AM [ in reply to Gutless. Dude is no better than Spurrier ]

He probably shouldn't have acted like a pompous dbag, at least publicly. What he does with his dog behind closed doors is none of my business.

What causes you to side with the president?

Nov 9, 2015, 11:34 AM

It seems like he was ignoring numerous complaints of racism. I can't side with either, but there was obviously issues there. The only 100% issue was the small number of white students that acted out against black students.

Liability Cola by CU_Tigers_time is now trending on Tnet.

He sided with free speech

Nov 9, 2015, 11:37 AM

He didn't stand on either side. It isn't a race war. He simply said he wouldn't expel students for speech.

Funny thing about free speech

Nov 9, 2015, 11:38 AM

You can say whatever you want, but you are still responsible for what you say. He sided with consequence free speech.

He didn't say racist things...

Nov 9, 2015, 11:40 AM

He simply said that he wouldn't punish those who did. Is that what we've come to? If you don't voilate someone else's free speech you are a racist? Wow.

You still don't understand free speech

Nov 9, 2015, 11:41 AM

But I don't have the patience to try and teach you.

No, I get free speech

Nov 9, 2015, 11:48 AM

You don't seem to understand the concept, so let me teach you. In this country, you have the right to say what you would like, as long as it doesn't put others in danger (like yelling fire in a crowded room). Could the president choose to punish those students for what they said? Sure. But he is at a public university, he works for the government essentially. Today, a government employee was forced to resign not because of anything he said, but because he refused to punish someone for what they said. That is ABSURD. Because he chose to allow those students the freedom of expression, he was basically fired. That is a dangerous precedent. What happens when Christianity becomes even more unpopular? Are bosses around the country going to have to fire employees who go to a Pro-Life rally or be fired themselves? That's where we're headed. That's why the founders wanted protected speech.

you seem to be viewing the obviously racist and hateful

Nov 9, 2015, 11:51 AM

speech and action made by the Mizzou students as simply an opinion and overall not harmful.

It doesn't matter if it's offensive

Nov 9, 2015, 11:55 AM

Non-offensive speech doesn't need protecting. No one has a beef with it. The founders didn't form the 1st amendment to protect speech everyone agreed with. There's no need for that. They did it so that people who were in the minority didn't have to fear people who were in the majority because of what they said.

You still don't get it...let me try

Nov 9, 2015, 11:59 AM

I am within my rights to go up to my boss and tell him that he is the dumbest mother ###### I have ever met. I have just exercised my right to free speech. I can not be arrested for calling my boss a dumb mother ######, but I can be fired. Free speech means you can't be arrested, not there is consequences for what you say.

Does that help? I hope it helps.

Message was edited by: drewtigeralum03®

I get that there are consequences

Nov 9, 2015, 12:04 PM

The president chose not to punish the speech, though. He chose to allow the students to speak their mind on a college campus. Now he's being forced to resign. It sets a bad precedent.

So are the black students allowed to use their free speech?

Nov 9, 2015, 12:07 PM [ in reply to You still don't get it...let me try ]

To demand the guy fired for not acting, or are they not afforded that right under your rules?

Sure, they can demand it

Nov 9, 2015, 12:12 PM

The president shouldn't have given in. That's why I called him gutless, and no better than Spurrier.

The protestors made the consequences untenable

Nov 9, 2015, 12:15 PM

The president forgot that he has a bunch of black football players. Enough so, that if they refuse to play, Mizz can't field a team, and receive a 1 million dollar fine from the SEC.

Like the players said...

Nov 9, 2015, 12:17 PM

Many didn't support not playing, and if they were 9-0 this wouldn't have been a thing. He could have fielded a team of walk-ons to avoid the punishment. They would have lost. No big deal.

Sure they could have

Nov 9, 2015, 12:24 PM

But I'm willing to guess those black players probably wouldn't be happy about it. Might be hard to win with only white guys, but it would be interesting to watch.

Reports are some black players still wanted to play

Nov 9, 2015, 12:27 PM

Like I said, they would lose. Big deal.

It sure would be fun trying to recruit more black players

Or maybe it wouldn't be. Missouri, at the least, saved their athletics programs by this move.

There are still plenty of kids of ALL colors

Nov 9, 2015, 12:32 PM

who just want to play good football and don't care about politics. Had they continued to play I don't think recruiting would be hurt. Had some players not played, I don't think recruiting would be hurt.

I would say that there are about 3 colors ( and a few mixed)

Nov 9, 2015, 12:35 PM

That would be white, black, and those light brown Samoans that play out west. Alienating the black color, not being far enough west for the light brown, leaves you with one color. If you don't think is will be used against Missouri in recruiting you're naive.

It'll be used against them, but

Nov 9, 2015, 12:53 PM

at the end of the day I don't think it hurts them at all. Those kids just want to come play football. Ole Pi$$ has about the worst race conditions you could have on campus and they recruit fine.

They can play football anywhere

Nov 9, 2015, 12:57 PM

If Missouri played a game with most of their black players sitting out...I'm going to assume most would choose to play elsewhere. Having the president resign only helps.

I'm about as big a defender of free speech as there is

Nov 9, 2015, 11:52 AM [ in reply to No, I get free speech ]

But it seems what really happened here (again if the reports I've read are true) is:
1) Stuff happened on campus that created a negative environment for minorities
2) The president didn't do anything about stopping those things from happening or punishing folks who did them
3) Students didn't like that and protested his lack of action
4) Those protests finally hit the school where it counts (the million dollar penalty for the team not playing) and the president stepped down

That seems just about the perfect outcome for a non-violent protest. No one is forcing him to step down, or more accurately no force is being used to make him step down. No governmental force or action is at play here. This is how protests are SUPPOSED to work. (lets keep in mind that protests are themselves free speech).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, but now the precedent is set...

Nov 9, 2015, 12:01 PM

The next time a CU organization has a Cinco de Mayo party and someone gets butt hurt and the president refuses to expel those students, the radicals are going to have a precedent to have the president removed. You're creating a world where one race of people has to live in fear of offending another race of people. How is that any better than it was 100 years ago? It's time to move on and just allow everyone to say whatever they want. If someone says something racist, ignore them and don't associate with them. It's not difficult. No one has to lose their job or the right to go to school where they choose.

Ah, there's the issue

Nov 9, 2015, 12:03 PM

"No one has to lose their job or the right to go to school where they choose."

No one has the right to that job or go to that school, if they engage in activities that discredit/harm that workplace/school.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ah, there's the issue

Nov 9, 2015, 1:57 PM

Define discredit and harm. One man's garbage is another man's treasure. Apparently theres no right to independent thinking, speech, and lifestyle anymore unless its goes against Christian, Caucasian, Republican, Western tradition. Thanks for reading.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How is it better than 100 years ago?

Nov 9, 2015, 12:03 PM [ in reply to Yes, but now the precedent is set... ]

Well, black people can vote and aren't lynched that often, so that's probably better. Oh, and we can have black players on the football team, which I personally enjoy.

The black lives matter organization is no better than

Nov 9, 2015, 12:06 PM

the KKK. Race relations are almost as bad as they've ever been.

Call me when black lives matter

Nov 9, 2015, 12:08 PM

Start fire bombing churches and pulling white people out of their houses and hanging them from trees. You really are stupid.

Yes, calling for the murder of police officers isn't bad

Nov 9, 2015, 12:14 PM

Both groups are hateful and racist. Neither group helps race relations. Both groups strain relations. One group killed more people so far, but both are evil.

Like I said

Nov 9, 2015, 12:17 PM

Let me know when black lives matter start lynching white people for things like voting and whistling at black women on the street and I'll agree with you.

How about when they create a world

Nov 9, 2015, 12:19 PM

where police officers are murdered for just showing up to protect us? That not good enough for you?

Ahh, so their words create a hostile environment

Nov 9, 2015, 12:22 PM

I thought that was ok.

Words are fine...

Nov 9, 2015, 12:26 PM

But when one of them kills a cop in NY and then they cheer it on and tell others to go do the same... it's no better than what the KKK did. I'd be against people stopping their hateful protests, but that doesn't mean I don't think they're evil and bad for this country.

You see, I can agree with up to the point

Nov 9, 2015, 12:28 PM

Where you say they are the same thing as a group of terrorists that enforced their own political desire for segregation and subjugation for about 50 years through unspeakable violence.

Fine... KKK>BLM

Nov 9, 2015, 12:33 PM

They're both deplorable. Is that okay to say? BLM also is just getting started, so it's hard to say which will end up killing more people.

You can say whatever you want

Nov 9, 2015, 12:36 PM

It's free speech and all that.

Re: Like I said

Nov 9, 2015, 2:13 PM [ in reply to Like I said ]

Look up the history of racial crime statistics in this country. Black on white crime of every type including murder, rape, battery, and robbery far outnumbers white on black by 2000 %. And that includes lynching. F**k ignorant, cowardly, self hating, suicidal white liberals!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you still talking?***

Nov 9, 2015, 2:50 PM

Too far, man

Nov 9, 2015, 3:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Like I said ]

Too far. Drew and I can BOTH agree you're what's really wrong with America.

That thumbs up

Nov 9, 2015, 3:01 PM

I gave it.

We may disagree on some stuff

Nov 9, 2015, 3:20 PM

But you're a good guy with good intentions at least. Can't say the same for orangeshades here.

Indeed

Nov 9, 2015, 3:28 PM

Reasonable, well intentioned folks, can disagree.

And those same folks will agree when someone enters the debate with idiotic vitriol.

Admittedly, I'm not gonna do tons of research on this one

Nov 9, 2015, 11:44 AM [ in reply to He didn't say racist things... ]

But, has anyone said the president was racist? Is that a point of contention? Or is it more that he is catching flack for allowing racist speech to go without consequence on campus?

he sat and did nothing for a long time

Nov 9, 2015, 11:45 AM

while there were several racist actions on campus. Not just words. He let it get out on control. And it's not all on him but as the leader of a university you have to take responsibility.

Sure, that was my impression from the news I'd read

Nov 9, 2015, 11:46 AM

But I was just wondering because this other poster keeps insinuating that the president himself was under fire for being a racist.

He never said anything racist

Nov 9, 2015, 11:49 AM

He just didn't punish kids for saying things people didn't like.

That is a way of looking at it

Nov 9, 2015, 11:58 AM

Another way is that he did not take steps to stop these actions from recurring. And in so doing opened himself up to criticism from folks who did not like the negative environment that was created by the racist speech/actions.

I believe it is the second of those choices.***

Nov 9, 2015, 11:46 AM [ in reply to Admittedly, I'm not gonna do tons of research on this one ]

everything has a consequence

Nov 9, 2015, 11:50 AM [ in reply to He didn't say racist things... ]

you are legally able to say whatever you want, but you can get in trouble for you what you say. I challenge anyone to drop the n word at work, the argue it's freedom of speech.

Liability Cola by CU_Tigers_time is now trending on Tnet.

that's what the "anti-PC" crowd

Nov 9, 2015, 11:52 AM

loves to do. They use "I'm not PC" card as an excuse to do and say whatever they want and then cry that their rights are being taken away when there are consequences.

The president never dropped the n word***

Nov 9, 2015, 11:52 AM [ in reply to everything has a consequence ]

Give the man a gold star then

Nov 9, 2015, 11:56 AM

I would say that a University presidents job is to provide a conducive atmosphere for learning, not a place where black students are regularly verbally abused and swastikas painted with feces show up in bathrooms. The funny thing is that the Chancellor, R. Bowen Loftin agrees with the protestors that there is historical and simmering racism on the Mizzo campus.

We're not on campus, so we can't say what the

Nov 9, 2015, 12:10 PM

environment is like. I do know this, though. Most of the time when people say that they're being offended or bullied, it's not as bad as they'd make you believe. Baltimore cops aren't the devil, bakers who refuse to make cakes for gay weddings aren't hateful bigots, and pro-life people aren't all out to bomb abortion clinics. If you don't like speech, ignore it. Don't listen. It's pretty easy. I don't love listening to Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton discussing why they need 80% of my money and how white lives don't matter, but guess what? I ignore it and move on with my life. You should try it sometime. It's pretty great.

I stopped after the first line

Nov 9, 2015, 12:20 PM

You're right, I'm not on campus, but I can listen to a large group of students on campus say that the atmosphere is toxic. You think they're lying? Having the N word thrown at them on a regular basis probably creates some hostility.

They may be lying...

Nov 9, 2015, 12:28 PM

The protesters in Baltimore and Ferguson were mostly liars.

Ahh, they are lying?

Awesome.

They might be

Nov 9, 2015, 12:35 PM

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2010/04/26/no-more-beer-summits-tea-party-n-word-incident-didnt-happen-and-the-congressional-black-caucus-owes-america-an-apology/

Wouldn't be the first time.

Re: We're not on campus, so we can't say what the

Nov 9, 2015, 2:01 PM [ in reply to We're not on campus, so we can't say what the ]

I appreciate your attitude but its way past time to ignore these types of incidents and the general trend of the last few hundred years.

Re: Give the man a gold star then

Nov 9, 2015, 1:51 PM [ in reply to Give the man a gold star then ]

I wonder if there's any reason in general terms for caucasoids on earth to keep themselves seperate from negroids. Can you think of any? Thanks.

Just because you can say whatever you want.....

Nov 9, 2015, 12:38 PM [ in reply to Funny thing about free speech ]

certainly doesn't mean you should.

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

It will be interesting to see who they get to replace him.***

Nov 9, 2015, 12:14 PM

null

I'd be willing to wager it isn't a white guy, lol***

Nov 9, 2015, 12:15 PM

here's the hunger strike student

Nov 9, 2015, 12:23 PM

this will make you furious i'm sure

https://twitter.com/_JonathanButler

Why would that make me furious?

Nov 9, 2015, 12:29 PM

Dude looks like he can afford to skip a meal or two and be just fine. Good for him for standing up for what he believes in. I still think the president is gutless to give in.

It's Going to get UGLY and spread I fear**

Nov 9, 2015, 12:25 PM

Good

Nov 9, 2015, 2:15 PM

He should have addressed the issues when he had a chance.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Missouri president has resigned-rest of the story......

Nov 9, 2015, 2:47 PM

St Louis Post Dispatch 11/9/15 Stephen Deere, Koran Addo

University of Missouri System President Timothy W. Wolfe resigned on Monday at an emergency Board of Curators meeting following weeks of protests over his leadership, a well-publicized hunger strike from a student and promises from football players that they would not participate in team activities until he stepped down.

.....members of the group Concerned Students 1950 pumped their fists in the air, shouting: "They said we couldn't do this," and "I believe we have won."

Concerned Students 1950 organized many recent protests. The group is named after the first year that black students were admitted to Mizzou. The group refused to speak with reporters, saying they "want to control the narrative."

When a photographer tried to enter the circle to get pictures of Concerned Students, he was pushed back.

.... the celebration continued with the crowd dancing to music over a loudspeaker.....

....Wolfe came under fire over a variety of issues, including anger after Mizzou discontinued the clinical privileges for a Planned Parenthood physician and terminated multiple relationships with different Planned Parenthood affiliates.
www.stltoday.com/news/local/education/thousands-gather-on-mizzou-quad-after-um-system-president-resigns/article_fa9f0aae-511c-5843-a420-fca7ce1743c6.html

Replies: 84
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic