Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Memories of moving in
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Memories of moving in

Aug 15, 2018, 10:27 AM

31 years ago (holy. freaking. cow.) I was moving in to Johnston F4. Of course, my room was about as far as you could get from the stairwell, so that was fun. Back then, we didn't have as much stuff as the kids today have, I don't think. I brought no TV and we had no laptops, PCs or other electronics (one or two were big shots and had Commodore 64s!), though I did have a fancy wall phone with an extra long cord! Pretty much all I brought was clothes and a few other things.

It was fun meeting all the guys on the hall. I'd never even shared a room before, but here I was with a roommate I hadn't met before and living with dozens of other guys. I was coming from SW Fla so didn't know anyone else there, so pretty much everything and everyone was new. We had some serious characters on the hall - most of whom didn't come back the next semester or year!

The most fun part, though, was building our loft - drawing it up, going down to Ol' Norm's to get all the material, and putting it all together. That was the last year, I think, that we didn't need to get a permit and have an inspection on our loft. It was really cool checking out what the other guys were doing with their lofts and their rooms, with as little as we had to work with in those little metal and wood rooms.

Soon there was the First Friday parade and then the beginning of football season. We beat UGa a couple weeks later with a last second field goal and what a great start to my freshman year!

Good times. Still have a few years left until my oldest heads off to somewhere - and I'm in no rush! - but man, what great memories of the beginning of the best four (and a half!) years of my life!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

33 Years Ago Moving Into Johnstone E6

Aug 15, 2018, 10:36 AM

Thought I was so clever with a big sea trunk packed with 4 24 packs of Busch and a few 1/2 gallons of Jack. Thought that would last me the semester, that stuff was gone in a week. Also had a suitcase of clothes and toiletries and like $100 Mom gave me, had a meal plan and that was it.

Moving my son into to Texas Thursday and the dang dining room is filled with his stuff, essentially all the amenities anyone could ever need. I really liked the simple life of pretty much being able to carry everything I owned in a bag or two. Makes me long for simpler times when finding $5 in your backpack or jeans was a Huge deal.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 33 Years Ago Moving Into Johnstone E6

Aug 15, 2018, 10:40 AM

Now curious, did you pack him the Busch and Jack?

Moved into F3 that same year (Aug 85 right?)

Aug 15, 2018, 10:45 AM [ in reply to 33 Years Ago Moving Into Johnstone E6 ]

every time I hear "money for nothin" it takes me back to that week.

You say we had nothing back then, but our stereos alone were bigger than the TVs, Laptops, Tablets, Phones, Game systems etc put together now.

My roommate was a sophomore so loft was already constructed. we just had to assemble.

Good times. Good friends.

45 years ago - moved into Johnstone E4 - couldn't believe...

Aug 15, 2018, 11:17 AM

I was finally a student at Clemson!!

I was up there this past Saturday - rode around the campus, etc. Thought back to how different the whole now-former Johnstone area looks now.

39 years ago for me

Aug 15, 2018, 11:17 AM

moving into Johnstone - August of '79. And the year we beat Notre Dame in South Bend with Billy Lott at QB. Campus went crazy.

I drove a few guys crazy on my hall listening to that Journey album over and over again.

Hard to believe that 39 years have passed by - but Dabo says the best is yet to come!

Go Tigers!

Bumper sticker from back then: "Devine will whine in '79"

Aug 15, 2018, 1:44 PM

I was a sophomore, you youngster.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

37 years ago for me...

Aug 15, 2018, 11:45 AM

Moved my youngest daughter in last weekend as she begins her Senior year (sorry...no pigs), and I commented that she had more stuff than my roommate and me combined.

To this day the smell of fresh cut lumber evokes memories of building lofted beds in Johnstone

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Memories of moving in

Aug 15, 2018, 1:11 PM

50 years ago I moved into Johnstone, E343, with a foot locker and a small suitcase. Nothing else.

The dorm was not air conditioned. The outside temp exceeded 100F for the first 3 or 4 days.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2018, 1:40 PM

42 years ago for me. Moved into Johnstone A609. Had recently been upgraded with better lighting and carpeted hallways. Also, asbestos removed from the ceilings. First floor room was great. Most of the time went in and out of my room using the window instead of the door!
Remember having Boston's(More than a feeling) first album and also Kansas's(Carry on my wayard son) album as well!! Good times!!!

Aug 15, 2018, 1:43 PM

Moved into B518 29 years ago this month. Moved my daughter in two days ago. Didn’t know it would be so tough. Great memories but I can’t believe it’s been that long.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

40 Years ago - F-Annex

Aug 15, 2018, 1:45 PM

Edgar's sold big beers cheap. 'Bout all I remember.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Aug 15, 2018, 1:47 PM

August in the year of our Lord 1969...almost half a century. I still think i'm 19 until the morning after a day hitting the weight room at the Rec Center. Dang that shoulder hurts. It was the Summer of Woodstock. Johnstone D-510...Somebody had Crimson and Clover on a freaking LOOP...Drives me nuts today when it comes on Sirius...... Discovered that the Arab at the liquor store across the overhead train trestle in Seneca would sell 18 year olds booze. Did pranks that would be a felony today...Dad holding a cashed check and asking " What is this Red Carpet?" and i say.."A restaurant"...I hit downtown several times a week and still hang at TTT, but walking the street is like being in a Time Machine...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

31 years ag - C5 for me***

Aug 15, 2018, 2:16 PM

Aug 15, 2018, 2:33 PM

Good post. 32 years ago for me, D-3.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2018, 2:42 PM

Moved in 42 years ago to Johnstone D-2 down in the hole.

Priority 1 was to find someone to buy me some beer. Did not turn 18 until October.

4 eight o'clock classes that first and second semester. :(

Football team went 3-6 & 2 if I remember correctly. But we beast the Coots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Seemed like yesterday.

Aug 15, 2018, 4:21 PM

Yep 3-6-2 was the Tiger's record with a win over the ##### and last second Duke 50+ yd field goal for one of those ties. Moved into D6 that year. Best view on campus overlooking Death Valley, the lake and the mountains on clear days. Sitting on the ledge and rating the girls as they walked to Harcombe. Great times

Aug 15, 2018, 2:45 PM

48 years ago. I moved into Johnstone A on the level that had the TV room above the loggia (A2?). I had a trunk and a battery operated cassette player with Grand Funk " Closer to Home". Second semester we all had to move to Johnstone C because they were going to be renovating Johnston A or something.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger Band 70-74

31 years ago, living at Cedarwood Apts.....

Aug 15, 2018, 2:52 PM

behind Old Stone Church getting ready to start my senior year. Good times.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2018, 10:22 PM

I was on East Campus, freshman & sophomore years on the 8th & 10th floors. We could always count on both elevators breaking down sometime Sunday afternoon, so the refrigerator had to be in the first load to go up.

Aug 15, 2018, 10:45 PM

28 years ago moved into Johnstone D3.
Monday, moved daughter into Douthit, Fr, and dropped son, Jr, off at a frat brothers apartment. Next year hopefully child 3 with 4 following in 2020. We will be living in a van down by the river, but at least the kids get Clemson!!!

Aug 15, 2018, 10:56 PM

62 long years ago I moved into C2...I had a small trunk and a small cardboard box. I had never been to Clemson before and only received the funds to go at the last minute.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2018, 11:41 PM

There was no C-2. The bottom floor for both B & C sections was level 5. I lived in C-607 right above the walkway between B & C - watched all the poor souls heading to the dining hall to work on their PHD.

^^^^^^ Bunch of babies - 53 years ago

Aug 15, 2018, 10:58 PM

for me - where is Hartins? 1965 - Had to endure the longest Rat Season so no good memories about moving in..... upperclassmen made life miserable for weeks - shaved heads and Rat Hats and very few coeds.Couldn't eat a single meal during the Rat Season for doing the classic football cheers plus the unique " The Class of '69 is different" yell. Great memories followed that make appreciation of the Clemson experience complete.

Message was edited by: clover65®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 16, 2018, 12:42 AM

44 years ago. Johnston right across the street from the student laundry , 1st floor. Maybe it was E 5 ?? After my folks drove back home to WV, I didn't know anyone for hundreds of miles. My roommate was a 5th year Sr. and helped me immensely. Good times.

Aug 16, 2018, 1:21 AM

33 Years ago moved into D-3 facing the stadium.

https://digitalcollections.clemson.edu/single-item-view/?oid=CUIR:826548BC93D1C8035CB534C300805D38&b=https%3A%2F%2Fdigitalcollections.clemson.edu%2Fsearch-results%2F%3Fk%3Dsubjecttopic%253A%2522johnstone%2520hall%2520%2522%26opn_refine_control%3Djump%26xi%3D1%26xm%3D20%26sf%3D

Aug 16, 2018, 6:55 AM

I see now I must have been on D hall. I was on the bottom floor, what floor was D-3 ? I remember my Lever room was 6D5, but I can't remember Johnston.

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic