Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Me, I'm a Kelly Bryant fan for Spring
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

Me, I'm a Kelly Bryant fan for Spring

Feb 2, 2017, 6:40 PM

I am rooting hard for Kelly Bryant to win the QB position at Clemson. And I'm writing this post to try to convince others that they should be rooting for him too, and not be in such an all-fired hurry to embrace the Next Hot Thing.

Why? Here goes:

1) IT MEANS CLEMSON'S QB DEVELOPMENT IS WORKING, AND THAT BRANDON STREETER KNOWS HIS BUSINESS.
I loved Chad Morris the offensive coordinator. I loved his system and I feel it brought Clemson the offensive resurgence we just rode to a national title. That said, I was less than sold on Morris as a QB coach. He didn't fine-tune Tajh Boyd as well as I would have liked for the pro game - in particular his accuracy and reads on intermediate routes was off, which I think hurt Tajh's pro career some - and I saw a very distinct difference in Cole Stoudt's delivery and confidence the moment Streeter got in. Unfortunately, precisely because Streeter inherited a very finished product like Deshaun Watson, the jury's still out on Streeter. But we know how raw a passer Bryant was when he came to Clemson - if Streeter can take this raw elite athlete and develop him into an effective thrower, it could mean the difference between this natty we just won being a one-off courtesy of an all-time great QB, or it could just mean the beginning of a dynasty...if Streeter can actually develop more QB's on a par with Watson. We know that, say, a Mike Leach can develop a QB. We know Spurrier could. For all his crimes against womenfolk, Art Briles could seriously coach up a QB. Which is why those guys' offenses were always, always, always productive, and usually broke scoreboards.

So yeah, I want Brandon Streeter to be one of those guys. Because I aspire to dominate not just now but the next 10+ years and having a guy who can build top-drawer QB's is a great way to do that.

2) BRYANT'S A LOCAL BOY FROM POWDERSVILLE, SC.
I have nothing against guys from Georgia or North Carolina or Alaska, from that matter. But this program still has a place - and was heavily built by - local Upstate boys like Ben Boulware and Shaq Lawson and Kevin Dodd and if Clemson's going to stay strong it's going to need to stay strong from the roots up. That means I absolutely want to beat Alabama's brains in with Kelly Bryant and CJ Fuller and Tavien Feaster and Kendall Joseph next year because those local products are our grassroots products. You'll always have lean recruiting years...but if your grassroots football base remains strong, you can weather those years, too. And they need to know they can indeed succeed here.

And finally...

3) SLOW IT DOWN, YOUNG GUNSLINGERS.
We've got a boatload of truly gifted young freshmen in the pipes - Zerrick Cooper, Hunter Johnson, soon to be Chase Brice and then the wunderkid Trevor Lawrence - but it'd sure be nice for these guys to be able to take their time and not get thrown to the wolves as freshmen. There are only so many Deshaun Watsons, who have the perspective and personality and grounding to be able to handle the pressure, expectation, and fishbowl attention a big-school QB gets, much less handle it as a freshman, and you can ruin a perfectly good QB by throwing him into the skillet too fast. Sorry, while I absolutely love the film and the upside of Cooper, Johnson, Brice, and Lawrence, is it really reasonable to expect that these guys have their heads glued on quite as straight as Watson did? We call DW4 "one in a million" because he really was, and I'd like the next guy to have more time than Deshaun did to get it right. Which means, again: I'm hoping the guy who has two years in the system - Bryant - is ready to shoulder that merciless load, because the froshes simply aren't as likely to be. Look around the country, and time and time again you'll see how lucky we were: I look out and I see the vast majority of QB's crumbling underneath that load...and usually winding up somewhere else after two or three years.

Call me old-fashioned, but one of the hallmarks of a healthy program is one that's starting juniors developed within the program as opposed to just trying to recruit ready-made products out of high school and throwing them to the wolves as true freshmen (which usually results in said youngster having a half-life of a couple games, see McIlwain, Brandon, for one such example, and Nunez, Lorenzo for the one before that and...well, you get the idea.)

So the bottom line is: while I will cheer for all of Clemson's QB's, come the Spring Game I will be cheering loudest and hardest for one Kelly Bryant, QB #2, from Wren High School in Powdersville, SC...and I hope you will be too. Obviously the best guy will play...but ultimately the biggest win for Clemson, IMHO, will be if that guy does indeed turn out to be KB2, for all the reasons listed above.

Plus the dude is such a freakin' elite athlete I'm genuinely curious to see what kinda damage he can do. You just don't see a lot of mutants like Bryant. The dude can house it from anywhere on the field, if he's developed to the point that he can actually beat you with his arm too stuff starts getting really unfair.

Thank you, and I will step off the soapbox now. ;)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Me, I'm a Kelly Bryant fan for Spring

Feb 2, 2017, 6:51 PM

If, and I do mean IF Kelly Bryant can be a competent passer, our offense will be absolutely unstoppable. We return a veteran offensive line. His ability to run far exceeds what DW4 could do, and we were highly effective. But the question remains, can Kelly Bryant throw the football to our ridiculously talented receiving corps?

if only Deshaun had been "thrown to the wolves" in the

Feb 2, 2017, 7:30 PM

Georgia game, or at least kept in the game after throwing a precision strike TD pass.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: They had better hope that he does not get out of the

Feb 2, 2017, 8:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Me, I'm a Kelly Bryant fan for Spring ]

pocket and runs.

Re: We are going to be as strong as green onions.***

Feb 2, 2017, 9:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Me, I'm a Kelly Bryant fan for Spring ]

Feb 2, 2017, 6:52 PM

I totally understand rooting for him. I also love our local guys. But in the end I want to win and I don't think KB has the natural throwing ability. Also Im not all about the next new thing. I believe ZC will be our starter next year. He's been in the system for a year now. Ive heard he did a fantastic job on scout team last year. The next new thing in Hunter Johnson. I like HJ but he's green and has to learn the system. So by 2018 its going to get real interesting when Trevor Lawrence gets here.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 2, 2017, 6:56 PM

Like your insight. Actually, Bryant is from Abbeville, which ran the dbl wishbone offense, which is why he finished at Wren under a passing style offense to try and produce a passer on his athletic frame. He's a natural runner. Hope he does well, but he can also play several positions if QB doesn't work out.

Feb 2, 2017, 7:01 PM

In the world of 140 character tweets...I appreciate your writing. I find I force myself to slow down and read your content. Good on you.

I'm on board the Bryant train, and you convinced me with point one. I too have thought that between:

1) Cole Stoudt ready for a [coaching] change and some redemption in the bowl game
2) DW4 being a one in a million athlete that didn't need to be coached (even Streeter said, "for Watson, my job is just not to screw him up")

that I am very interested in our QB development going forward. Kelly Bryant balling out, and showing improvement with his arm and decision making would certainly be best case scenario.

We get to save and develop our younger talent, but more importantly, we've got a coach who has proven with Bryant that he's the man to get it done.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kelly Bryant will get his chance, but

... but it remains a mystery why he couldn't dis-place Schuessler for two years if he was going to be the one to re-place Deshaun Watson in his third year.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The light may come on this year.***

Feb 2, 2017, 7:10 PM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Quarterbacking a program like Clemson with its WR talent

Feb 2, 2017, 7:37 PM

elite comes down to one thing: field and coverage awareness.

Nothing else matters. Nothing.

Just how important is it? It's the only reason Tajh isn't in the NFL....

and with his arm, that's saying a lot.

To stay in the Top 10, Clemson doesn't need someone who's light is "coming on" -

it needs someone who is literally prescient at the position.

Yes, DW was exceptional, but I don't want a Lamar Jackson lookalike at QB.

I want someone who can use the talent arrayed about him.

And given our suspect O-Line, I would suggest that counting on a QB

whose major talent is in his legs to lead us back to the promised land

is a gamble not worth taking.

imho, of course...

Re: Quarterbacking a program like Clemson with its WR talent

Feb 3, 2017, 7:59 AM

"Suspect O-line?"

They're going to be a major strength next year. Mitch Hyatt will wind up in the Ring of Honor.

I think because we return so much experience on the O-line our young QBs have a great chance to succeed.

"experienced O-Line" does NOT mean "good O-Line"

Feb 3, 2017, 8:11 AM

it just means they have been around and gotten playing time.

last year's O-Line was significantly less successful than 2015

and there's no reason to believe they'll get better without Guillermo.

don't give me your orange-tinted wannabes - read the stats, they're undeniable.

I am certainly no dumper, but the O-Line we had last year

and coming into 2017 is not a run-first O-Line

if you want to win the ACC.

read the stats before you create an opinion...

He was a raw true freshman two years ago

Feb 2, 2017, 7:58 PM [ in reply to Kelly Bryant will get his chance, but ]

Last year, wasn't Schussler pretty darn good in the meaningful snaps he got?

Kelly is a guy who should have redshirted but Israel's injury didn't allow that. We'll know soon enough. But if he can throw it and make the reads, he's a lot closer to Cam than Deshaun ever was. Kelly is a TD waiting to happen if he breaks contain with his legs

That's my point ... Schuessler was good enough last year to

Feb 2, 2017, 8:20 PM

Schuessler was good enough to keep Kelly Bryant from getting a lot of meaningful snaps. Bryant couldn't take over the #2 spot from a former walk-on as much as the coaches and the fans wanted (expected?) him to.

From that should we assume that if Schuessler had another year of eligibility that he'd enter the spring as the #1 QB ??

All this said, I just want the very best player to get the job and if it turns out to be Bryant that's fine. I'm just not optimistic for his chances.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If Deshaun had, God forbid, gone down

Feb 2, 2017, 11:17 PM

I think Bryant would have played a lot. It wasn't like Schussler had that many meaningful snaps. Really only the second half of the Syracuse game when Deshaun banged his shoulder a little.

The real cunundrum will be if no one separates themselves.

Could this be because

Feb 3, 2017, 7:30 AM [ in reply to Kelly Bryant will get his chance, but ]

the same program developing Bryant was also developing Schuessler? It seemed average was the limit for Schuessler when he first transferred in; Will Proctor status was the best he could hope for. But his improvement has been exponential.

I don't know if he has plans for the draft, but if Will Proctor had a chance, Schuessler should definitely give it a shot. Worst case he plays in the CFL, marries the next Ainsley Earhardt, and lands the starring role in some gay propoganda movie.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

If that is true then

Feb 3, 2017, 9:51 AM

wouldn't that mean that Cooper who came in as a better passer than Bryant would have also been developed by the same guy and be even better than he was as well?

Will be interesting to see.

Alabama made it to the NCG with a QB who couldn't pass at all. So let's have some faith in our guys.

Re: True***

Feb 2, 2017, 9:00 PM

Well now you having me dreaming of Kelly Bryant holding up that golden trophy.

Feb 2, 2017, 7:09 PM

That would be absolutely wild.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

what's wild is how far people's imaginations have run away

Feb 3, 2017, 8:17 AM

with them.

"we don't rebuild, we reload"...

look, without DW4 2016's team wasn't an ACC Champion much less a CFP team.

people need to rein it in a bit.

guarantee what's going to happen is that everyone

will go into the Fall thinking CFP again

and the new QB will struggle - maybe even lose to Auburn;

then good ol' "fire somebody TNET and Clemson Nation" will be howling like mad

for the backup QB and to change the OC set-up.

GUARANTEED...

In fairness, Stoudt was banged up that whole year

Feb 3, 2017, 9:16 AM

bad shoulder. Not saying we're a CFP team that year, but it really limited him until the bowl game

he wasn't banged up against UGA...

Feb 3, 2017, 10:44 AM

and people wanted him replaced by the savior after DW had made his first 2 throws.

never underestimate the arrogance and anger of the mob.

what people absolutely refuse to remember was that Stoudt

was a 1st year starter - he had never had the responsibility

nor opportunity to win games on his own leadership.

That takes time to learn - and Clemson Nation never gave him that time.

I don't suspect they'll give the next guy that time either.

them's the facts....

Well, dang. I want to agree with you here, but...

Feb 2, 2017, 7:11 PM

I'm rooting for the next guy that gets us to the playoffs the fastest. If it be Bryant, great, but if not, he had his shot. If Clemson becomes known as the place to go fight your way to become the best QB on the best team, then so be it.
Chad Kelly once played for Clemson and he couldn't cut it. He turned out alright in regards to having NFL potential. Heck, he turned out to be the best QB in all of the SEC.
I love that all these guys have to earn their spot. Bryant is talented enough to have a scholly at Clemson. But may the best man win. Besides, our recruits at wide receiver deserve the best QB our team has to offer.

Go Tigers!

i just hope the best qb gets the nod..

Feb 2, 2017, 7:12 PM

do not want another cole situation where someone gets the nod over the better player just because they have been on the team longer

^^^this^^^

Feb 2, 2017, 7:15 PM

i root for everyone on team. kb's no different. but, he either gets it or "next" up.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Re: i just hope the best qb gets the nod..

Feb 2, 2017, 7:51 PM [ in reply to i just hope the best qb gets the nod.. ]

I'm with you on that. Love what's been said . Good points but I tend to disagree with having to " wait" their turn and not handling the pressure etc. no doubt in my mind that HJ can come in and be ready.

Kids these days aren't really coming out of high school like they were even 10 years ago. So many of the elites are ready for this.

KB perhaps didn't have that kinda prep. Don't know but to be in this system 2 years... and he wasn't close to being able to run our offense.

Nick was and did. Good sign for Streeter.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Since we don't open at Georgia, whoever the coaches feel

Feb 2, 2017, 8:01 PM [ in reply to i just hope the best qb gets the nod.. ]

is the guy will start. Could play several guys early if no one separates

Read what he said about Streeter being a better QB coach

Feb 2, 2017, 9:38 PM [ in reply to i just hope the best qb gets the nod.. ]

"I loved Chad Morris the offensive coordinator. I loved his system and I feel it brought Clemson the offensive resurgence we just rode to a national title. That said, I was less than sold on Morris as a QB coach. He didn't fine-tune Tajh Boyd as well as I would have liked for the pro game - in particular his accuracy and reads on intermediate routes was off, which I think hurt Tajh's pro career some - and I saw a very distinct difference in Cole Stoudt's delivery and confidence the moment Streeter got in."

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 2, 2017, 10:16 PM

2017 will be a one year gig for whoever wins the job. Trevor Lawrence starts as a Freshman in 2018. He's just flat out better.

What if whoever it is leads us to another title?***

Feb 2, 2017, 11:19 PM

You've been a member since 2002 Mrs. Bryant?....

Feb 3, 2017, 7:51 AM

Kidding obviously, good post

Feb 3, 2017, 8:02 AM

I'm curious as to why you think Chad Morris didn't develop QB's, or what you saw at practice or in the film room with the team that led you to that. Do you blame the Jets and the Steelers for Boyd's failure in the NFL, or do you blame Morris, or do you blame the guy that was responsible for putting in the work and dedicating the time to having an NFL body and an NFL understanding of a playbook and defensive schemes. I agree that Streeter is a good QB coach, but you can't blame any of that on Morris. We were spoiled with Deshaun Watson, he made everything look so easy it wouldn't matter who is the coach. And the game that Stoudt played without Morris, he probably didn't throw a pass longer than 10 yards. That would never work through a whole season, it got them through one game, long enough to get to the off season and get DW4 back.

I don't agree with the program built on upstate local kids. The kids that build this program are the ones who buy in to clemson and buy in to what Dabo is preaching. Doesn't matter where they are from, kinda like every playmaker on offense last year. I like the idea of having so much local talent, but there will never be enough to fill up the team.

I will also be cheering for Kelly, but is yelling won't change the fact that the other QB's have better arms than him and are better at reading defenses. I think they should def find a way to get him on the field, but I don't believe it will be taking every snap at QB. I'm pulling for a great competition that makes everyone better and brings the best out of all of them.

Agreed but one question... Why hasn't he seen the field yet?***

Feb 3, 2017, 8:13 AM

Re: Agreed but one question... Why hasn't he seen the field yet?***

Feb 3, 2017, 8:15 AM

Does Deshaun Watson ring a bell? That's why he hasn't seen the field.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Come on man, I watched him play in 15 but not last year

Feb 3, 2017, 8:27 AM

I understand the respect for Schuessler but I think he would've had more time last year if he was that great. Then again, we didn't have many games where we had that much play room except for Suc, syrexcuse,sc state, and BC

Feb 3, 2017, 8:29 AM

I guess time will tell, but if I'm a DC on the opposing team, I stack the box every time KB comes in the game. He will NOT beat us with his legs. IMO - CLEMSON becomes 1-dimensional every time KB steps into the QB position. THAT needs to change, or he needs to find a position other than QB.

My money's on Cooper $$***

Feb 3, 2017, 8:34 AM

I hope the best QB ends up being the starter

Feb 3, 2017, 9:11 AM

Regardless of which one it is. It is quite a treat to know that we have some serious depth at QB. That's something we have been a little lacking in recent years.

Could not agree more!

Feb 3, 2017, 9:18 AM

Great write-up. This is exactly why I would be rooting for Kelly Bryant to excel, because it would show that our coaches can DEVELOP players!

All these naysayers are assuming that the Kelly they see in Spring 2017 will be the same Kelly that they saw in Spring 2016. You and I are hoping that he would be much improved - courtesy Streeter and other coaches.

And if he is not good enough, well, then I am glad that we have other very talented QBs behind him.

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic