Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Maybe Coach E was limited by O-Line play and WR injuries...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1,467

Maybe Coach E was limited by O-Line play and WR injuries...

Jan 15, 2021, 11:29 AM

Seems like his OC abilities are high in the minds of those who know football, not by us, TigerNet General Madness (I mean managers).... I spoke to one of the coaches at Clemson that is a good friend of mine, and the message was TE is a genius offensive mind. That tells me that we were down up front and on the outside. This year it appears he was sticking with the Tiger O while letting the players mature and catch up to it. Sucks that his approach and O only got us to the playoffs again (sarcasm). We did see Etienne's numbers suffer against better defenses. I am hopeful that a non-covid year(lots of practice games upfront) and recoveries from injury will go a long way to help. I am only concerned that a big time coaching opening will finally suck him in an away.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Something changed. I wanted to see some of the stacked

Jan 15, 2021, 11:32 AM

receiver stuff that we did with Higgins and Ross. Send them both deep and then separate. We did much more of that in 2018, especially in the playoffs. I thought the same scheme would work with Rodgers and Williams later in the year, or should have at least been tried.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe Coach E was limited by O-Line play and WR injuries...

Jan 15, 2021, 11:49 AM

I suspect the RPO use kept OL closer to the line of scrimmage to avoid being called downfield so we didnt fire out and open a lot of holes. So Travis caught more and rushed for less. Ultimately we underutilized him in running through either scheme or talent. To have back that good get so little production was one of the worst aspects of this team

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 15, 2021, 2:47 PM

I'm not saying that you are completely wrong. I do think we could have possibly used Etienne some more. However, if you look at the overall stats for Etienne:
2017: 58.8 yards/game combining rush and receiving
2018: 115.7 yds/game combined
2019: 136 yds/game combined
2020: 125 yds/game combined

Considering the woes of our young O Line, because I definitely think we as Tiger fans took for granted that the 2018 and 2019 O Line was probably the best under the Dabo Era. Hopefully we will have more great lines come through soon. We recruited really well last year and this year.

I think considering that of the O Line and the fact that we only played 12 games this season. Missing out on at least 2 extra games that Etienne likely racks up yards because let's face it. I am a Tiger fan through and through but the ACC does not challenge us. Plus we would have racked up on South Carolina and FSU if we had played those games.

Also we had to play ND twice and OSU. Both are obviously top 5 teams in NCAA. So they have great defenses who can't stop but can slow down Etienne's productivity much more than other teams can.

I know this is a long post about not really a lot. I just saying all things considered, I think Etienne had a pretty successful season, and definitely think it made him one of the all time greatest RB's in Clemson History.

Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 15, 2021, 2:52 PM

Excellent information in this post!

I too have questioned the thought that Etienne was not used enough in a season where he had around 1,500 yards in a 12 game season.

Thank you for showing us the numbers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 1,467
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic