Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
MORE SHAMELESS ESPN garbage...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 50
| visibility 1

MORE SHAMELESS ESPN garbage...

Oct 26, 2012, 6:47 AM

Fellow Tigers, it's rare for me to go ballistic during a ballgame at action other than on the gridiron, but last night's SEC homerism by the ESPN yardbirds was too much! There we are with action on the field, and the jackas$es are showing SEC video and discussing teams...and finally interrupted themselves to cover the field play. I'll tell you, I know the network has provided viewing venues for most sports, but their constant promotion of their own products, particularly the SEC, has in my opinion created an unfair advantage toward every school that doesn't belong to the SEC. I don't hold a J.D., but that domination and control has all the appearances of a monopoly that is sullying collegiate athletics. It's one thing to grow a business and execute contracts in the process to abet the growth, it's a horse of a different color when you gain predominance and then shamelessly promote a product via an assortment of means at the expense of competing brands...I call it stifling competition through control of a vast market. I believe our laws attack such as anti-trust. And the worst aspect is the gutlessness of the conferences, member schools and the NCAA itself to address and attack the practices, even considering contracts involved. I don't know, but the whole ESPN cr@p is in my opinion one of the most despicable developments in collegiate sports.

Message was edited by: hartins®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Absolutely spot on. One more thing..

Oct 26, 2012, 6:57 AM

All this talk about the MONEY that they get makes it uneven. H3ll..its NOT the money...its the nonstop pounding of the drum for all things SEC. If you talked about the MAC that much they would get better. There is a reason advertising works...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And your last sentence especially is spot on!***

Oct 26, 2012, 7:31 AM

null

Message was edited by: hartins®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class Action??***

Oct 26, 2012, 9:58 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just don't know, FishinCrazy, but I believe that the

Oct 26, 2012, 10:08 AM

discontent will continue to grow across the nation to the point that someone, somewhere, somehow will have to address the issue. Although there are mega-bucks involved in ESPN's market, there are, also, mega-bucks involved generated by the schools themselves, as well as each school's supporters. And who knows when some member of the Justice Department, who happens to be a strong supporter of a non-SEC school, won't launch some type of probe?

This is the reason Miss St. is #11 and UGA #10

Oct 26, 2012, 7:13 AM

Go look at either of their schedules. They have not played or beat anyone of substance. Just because they play in the ESPN sponsored SEC, they rocket up the rankings.

If any ACC school not named FSU, VT, Miami, or Clemson had Mississippi St. record and schedule, they would be ranked about #17

yes, GA being ranked that high seals the deal, it gross how

Oct 26, 2012, 7:15 AM

biased it is. All about the $$

Re: yes, GA being ranked that high seals the deal, it gross how

Oct 26, 2012, 7:28 AM

Thats all ESPN! Is about money! SEC is their *&ore

Well said...

Oct 26, 2012, 7:36 AM

Don't think other schools and conferences haven't noticed--they have. I think almost everyone outside of the SEC is sick of the shameless promotion at the expense of all others. I wish someone could come up with a viable way to let them know where it hurts--$$$$. People tend to get upset, yet they still watch SEC games that ESECPN airs. A massive boycott would work, but I can't see that ever happening.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

ESPN = MONPOLY,,,,,they got us by the ballz***

Oct 26, 2012, 7:41 AM

MONOPOLY***

Oct 26, 2012, 7:42 AM

Yep***

Oct 26, 2012, 8:11 AM [ in reply to ESPN = MONPOLY,,,,,they got us by the ballz*** ]

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Don't remember the site, but one on the west coast

Oct 26, 2012, 8:39 AM [ in reply to Well said... ]

referenced by a TNetter recently (I think Oregon) was loaded with similiar attacks against ESPN. I told friends some time ago that I was certain the anti-ESPN mood was more widespread than most people realize. And I think it will only increase.

I know it's happening at Michigan too***

Oct 26, 2012, 9:03 AM

--Henry David Thoreau

Oklahoma (and Oklahoma State) as well....***

Oct 26, 2012, 9:09 AM

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Oregon people were ranting about it last year and

Oct 26, 2012, 12:02 PM

have continued this year. It's certainly more than just some within the ACC fed up with it.

I don't know about the legalities of it either, but that's

Oct 26, 2012, 7:56 AM

exactly what ESPN is doing.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Not a monopoly

Oct 26, 2012, 8:11 AM

ESPN/ABC isnt the only game in town for football viewing. Regional networks like those of Raycom and Fox. Nationally you have CBS (though more SEC). And ESpN shows more than just the SEC.

They were promoting upcoming programming so people would watch in high numbers and advertisers would be happy. Then the advertisers would pay more money when it was time contract renewals. Then ABC/Disney would see revenues climb and their share price as well. People who owned Disney in their 401k would feel better about themselves and so would go out and buy a new GM car. This would cause GM to increase production and hire more workers which in turn would reduce unemployment. Higher employment means a stronger USA in theory.

So if you hate on ESPN you are hating on the USA. And that is just plain shameful.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL....Then, by George, we should be attacking Mickey Mouse

Oct 26, 2012, 8:20 AM

and Donald Duck! DOWN WITH THE RAT AND QUACKER!

For some reason I felt the need to "boo" ***

Oct 26, 2012, 8:24 AM [ in reply to Not a monopoly ]

--Henry David Thoreau

HaHaHaHa....Please! Careful, IT'LL get started again....***

Oct 26, 2012, 8:42 AM

They probably wouldn't buy a GM, if they own Disney in their

Oct 26, 2012, 9:49 AM [ in reply to Not a monopoly ]

401k they probably go foreign.

Did we miss a play last night while they were discussing the

Oct 26, 2012, 8:12 AM

SEC last night? I think we did. And, I get sick of looking at the booth until just before the ball is snapped. I want to see who is on the field and how we are lined up. I want to be able to anticipate what is about to happen.This crap of switching back to the field just before the play is run is terrible.

Re: Did we miss a play last night while they were discussing the

Oct 26, 2012, 8:16 AM

They are used to the slow SEC offenses where they have time for a break between plays. We threw them off their game.

Yes, the down time while they set up for field goals***

Oct 26, 2012, 8:26 AM

--Henry David Thoreau

Actually, you may be on to something. Our SPEED was just

Oct 26, 2012, 9:39 AM [ in reply to Re: Did we miss a play last night while they were discussing the ]

too SECish or something?

That's precisely what caused my flare-up. They were showing

Oct 26, 2012, 8:17 AM [ in reply to Did we miss a play last night while they were discussing the ]

video of SEC play and discussing SEC teams, then switched back to field action which had begun...and yet, momentarily continued the SEC hype.

The best solution is for the ACC product to be respectable.***

Oct 26, 2012, 8:25 AM

44-11 forty four to eleven 44-11 forty four to eleven 44-11***

Oct 26, 2012, 8:39 AM

I think someone got in their ear and told them to shut up

Oct 26, 2012, 8:35 AM

and cover the game. It went on and on for a while there and I muted the TV because they were so distracting. I don't care WHO they were talking about, it was NO ONE INVOLVED IN THE GAME THEY WERE BEING PAID TO COVER.

I would have fired them or demoted them to AA after what I saw last night. Totally unacceptable and unprofessional especially for a Thursday night game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll tell you, Tiggity, that was the impression I got, as

Oct 26, 2012, 8:45 AM

they went on and on, then abruptly quit as if they had been interrupted by someone. And every football fan in this nation watching the game with common sense and decency should have been offended, also.

Yes, I too went ballistic

Oct 26, 2012, 8:51 AM

incredibly unprofessional in my opinion.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL...I was thinking: where's ole BuzzPaw when we need him!***

Oct 26, 2012, 9:00 AM

Just be thankful that ESPN carries Games that otherwise

Oct 26, 2012, 9:02 AM

wouldn't make it on TV. Talk about ungrateful!

How's that 55% graduation rate working out in Columbia?***

Oct 26, 2012, 9:07 AM

--Henry David Thoreau

I just think ESPN is great. Many more options to watch games

Oct 26, 2012, 9:17 AM [ in reply to Just be thankful that ESPN carries Games that otherwise ]

on TV than we had with the 3 networks. People are just spoiled!

Horsemanure! I clearly mentioned that I understood how

Oct 26, 2012, 9:19 AM [ in reply to Just be thankful that ESPN carries Games that otherwise ]

ESPN has provided venues. However, throughout history there have been many entities that have provided access to many products to the American people. Yet, we as a people determined that those provisions were tainted to the point of stifling competitive pricing. And we have taken action, and in most cases the American people have benefitted from those actions. Teddy Roosevelt's trust-busting comes to mind along with subsequent ones...think AT&T....

Don't kill the goose that laid the golden egg is all I am

Oct 26, 2012, 9:22 AM

saying. We could still see the game. Just mute it. Problem solved

I'm not going to argue the point, TFJ, as you are entitled

Oct 26, 2012, 9:25 AM

to your opinion. However, I will say this: I strongly suspect that quite a number of people across this nation are beginning to wonder if that goose has been laying rotten eggs!

Totally concur***

Oct 26, 2012, 10:05 AM

Notre Dame is just as bad***

Oct 26, 2012, 12:13 PM

I honestly think they negotiated the ACC deal because they

Oct 26, 2012, 12:59 PM

believed that the new playoff system would eventually force their move into a conference in all sports, especially given their lack of predominance over the recent past. Sooner rather than later, enough of the powerhouses would revolt with any special status given to ND. The move to join the ACC at least partially I think was in recognition of their history of strong presence and recruiting along the east coast. The ACC IMO allowed ND to gain the edge in the deal in two ways: by not requiring full membership upon the expiration of the ND/NBC deal in 2015 and by increasing the buyout to $50 million, which I think was a ND demand to force retention. While acknowledging ND's storied past and their following which will probably ensure football game sellouts in the ACC when they play members, I just believe no one school should merit special status above all others. Hate to wish ill upon them, but I believe the best option for the ACC now is for ND to lose enough games to strike blows against that special status.

If we're going after monopolies let's end the NCAA***

Oct 26, 2012, 1:04 PM

LOL....Over the years I've heard various people say that we

Oct 26, 2012, 1:28 PM

need to end the dominance of Charleston over the state, which baffled me considering the long time Barnwell Ring influence. Of course, there's now recurring talk in Columbia of a low country and up country hegemony over the Midlands. Then again, most South Carolinians actually think there's too much control centered in Columbia. No wonder the whole state is confused! And as for the NCAA...not quite sure they have clues about anything!

While not a Monopoly by any stretch of the word, I don't

Oct 26, 2012, 1:51 PM

see how it is not an impermissible recruiting advantage to have one team or group of schools promoted so heavily and force fed down the throat of the nation. Recruits see this, and they are thinking one thing: SEC= BIG TIME exposure. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Yet, the NCAA allows it to go on. The Special features of training camp at Alabama, the inside look at Will Muschamp... It's an invasive and subliminal kind of pushing: If you want people to see you, you'll play for or against these teams. I've often thought that the special features at college campuses like the aforementioned special shows should be outlawed by the NCAA. It's going to have to change eventually anyway, or college football will be destroyed.

You raise valid points; yet, given the history of the NCAA,

Oct 26, 2012, 2:17 PM

they are suspect at best for any attempt to exert better control. Kind of reminds me of the tail wagging the dog, when we use ESPN and the NCAA in the same sentence.

I'm not saying it is right, but this is how TV works.

Oct 26, 2012, 2:23 PM

All programs promote a stations other programs and interest. Look at how bad the ratings got for NBC when they lost football. Sure, they had bad shows but other networks didn't really have better. NBC simply lost the ability to show clips and drum up interest during the NFL games.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm not saying it is right, but this is how TV works.

Oct 26, 2012, 2:35 PM

They were losing so many viewers that they had to talk about something that football fans are interested in (SEC FOOTBALL)....not that pitiful example of a football game in front of 21,000 fans.

Comments bound to garner some type of following...

Oct 26, 2012, 2:45 PM

more than likely those of a less genial nature, I suppose. Then again, you may be onto something, for during the past 50 years I've certainly seen my share of pis$-poor games in all the conferences.

Re: MORE SHAMELESS ESPN garbage...

Oct 26, 2012, 2:55 PM

Preach on brother, I'm with you!!

FAIRWOODTIGER 67

Re: MORE SHAMELESS ESPN garbage...

Oct 26, 2012, 3:14 PM

I was thinking the same thing while watching the game last night. It makes me sick.

Replies: 50
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic