Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Looking back, who were the candidates to replace Bowden
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Looking back, who were the candidates to replace Bowden

Jul 16, 2016, 10:18 AM

when he was forced to step down?

Off the top of my head I remember Lane Kiffin was a hot name, as well as Muschump. Phil Fulmer was also a big name mentioned from what I recall. I remember wanting the Tulsa coach Todd Graham or Rich Rodriguez.

Who else was there? I remember Travis Clay writing an article that basically said Clemson wasn't a destination coaching job and that we would not get any real candidates; that had everybody hopping mad. Travis Clay obviously used to hold some grudge against Clemson.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: Looking back, who were the candidates to replace Bowden

Jul 16, 2016, 10:23 AM

I was hoping Clemson would hire Gary Patterson. He doesn't recruit as highly as some others, but he's a great coach.

Glad it worked out the way it has.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree - Patterson and Leach

Jul 16, 2016, 4:01 PM

Those were the names I was hearing people talk about for the coaching wish list. At that point it seemed like TCU was a more up and coming program and Patterson would be making a lateral-at-best or even and step down to come here. Bowden didn't do much to "move the needle" on the Clemson program in his last few years.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember Mike Leach's name being thrown around on here.

Jul 16, 2016, 10:36 AM

and Jim Grobe since he was basically the one that put the last nail in the Bowden coffin.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I remember Mike Leach's name being thrown around on here.

Jul 16, 2016, 12:52 PM

Leach would have been awful

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I remember Mike Leach's name being thrown around on here.

Jul 16, 2016, 4:10 PM

To say Leach would have had a culture-clash at Clemson would be an understatement

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2016, 10:39 AM

I believe our current defensive coordinator was a candidate for the head coaching job. I'm glad things worked out as they did.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2016, 10:41 AM

The main thing I remember from that time is Walt and his anti Dabo rants, saying Clemson was being cheap to not go after a big name, high national profile coach.

Jul 16, 2016, 11:13 AM

Make sure you don't bring that up to him on air, he'll just talk over you, call you an idiot, and then hang up on you.

Jul 16, 2016, 10:55 AM

Ralph Freigden was one a lot on here wanted if I remember correctly.

Thank the good lord we didn't hire him....

Jul 16, 2016, 10:59 AM

Bud Foster was the closest choice and would be considered the runner up, lots of people wanted Gary Patterson to be heavily considered. Ralph Fridgen, Jim Grobe, etc were never considered.

Jul 16, 2016, 2:18 PM

Gary Patterson was my choice, but I wasn't butt hurt when the job was given to Dabo. Yes I thought that was a cheap way out. But I had already read everything that I could find on Dabo when he was appointed interim HC. When Dabo was given the orange jacket, I felt if given a chance, he would be ok, and the longer he was HC the better he would get. Totally honest, I never thought that things would have turned out the way they have. I don't think that any of us that was OK with Dabo giving it a shot, we never envisioned that burning desire and the guts that Dabo had that has turned college FB on it's heals the way Dabo has done with his first opportunity to be a HC. He has made fools out of everyone that laughed, joked, poked and doubted him. He has done so much more than I thought he would do in much less time than anyone gave him. No big name HC could have turned Clemson around any faster, or done as good a job than Dabo Swinney has done it, none of them. I'm proud of him, and I smile and say Go Dabo when he comes out his mouth with some of his silly A$S sayings. That is who my HC is, and I love him just the same!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2016, 11:05 AM

I think I remember Mark Mangino from Kansas too. All the jokes about him running down the hill. Thank God we got it right!

I remember a ton of people on this board and others

Jul 16, 2016, 11:08 AM

wanting us to hire Will Muschamp.

Re: I remember a ton of people on this board and others

Jul 16, 2016, 11:39 AM

Yep, he hadn't shown his complete ID 10t side at that time

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Re: I remember a ton of people on this board and others

Jul 16, 2016, 12:40 PM [ in reply to I remember a ton of people on this board and others ]

I admit I did want Frigen(sp/) instead of Morris.. that sure was a mistake on my part!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Looking at some of the replies and the names thrown out

Jul 16, 2016, 11:09 AM

makes me glad we took a chance on Dabo. I don't think Clemson would be where we are at without Dabo. He thought out of the box and had a plan to get Clemson here and he executed that plan. I know rivals and other schools want to bash Dabo for his cheerleader antics but there isn't a school out there that wouldn't want Dabo leading their program. Dabo is unique in what he saw Clemson could be and he took what was the best of Clemson then intensified those qualities to the point that Clemson can recruit with anyone out there. In today's college football and the way its played to get little ole Clemson on the cusp of being a National Championship couldn't have been done by just any old ordinary coach, we needed a coach with vision that saw Clemson for what it was and we have that. Thank God for CDS and what he represents....

Re: Looking at some of the replies and the names thrown out

Jul 16, 2016, 12:42 PM

good post.. sure agree!! Dabo was great pick!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

75-80% of the names mentioned were never on any Clemson

Jul 16, 2016, 3:05 PM [ in reply to Looking at some of the replies and the names thrown out ]

radar. They were names thrown out by posters on the board. Dabo was always the choice. Thankfully.

Looking for a Razz or ChasTom reply ...... waiting .......***

Jul 16, 2016, 11:17 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

lol....there were sure a lot Tnet handle changes after

Jul 16, 2016, 12:55 PM

Coach Swinney "turned things around".....but there were more than plenty of rancorous threads by those whose objective was to demand the firing of Swinney, the AD, and the president of the university (all of whom were supposedly standing in the path to football greatness).

Almost none of them claim ownership to those threads or that attitude now.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: lol....there were sure a lot Tnet handle changes after

Jul 16, 2016, 2:33 PM

Razz hasn't logged in since March and hasn't posted since Jan. Wonder what name he's using now?

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: lol....there were sure a lot Tnet handle changes after

Jul 16, 2016, 2:43 PM

LMAO bc you sure are right. Not just screen names changed, entire accounts were deleted so they couldn't be traced back to all the nasty comments toward Dabo attached to their old screen name. But that is OK if it works for them now bc, I believe we're all one happy Tiger Nation family now, and things are just great!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Gary Patterson was my #1 pick

Jul 16, 2016, 11:41 AM

I was high on Bud Foster, Steve Logan as well.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ralph Friedgen, Gary Patterson stand out to me.***

Jul 16, 2016, 11:42 AM

null

I think Air Force

Jul 16, 2016, 11:42 AM

head coach Troy Calhoun was interviewed too.

A couple of guys we never would've gotten and a bunch

Jul 16, 2016, 12:46 PM

that have done absolutely nothing since we hired Dabo. We are very, very fortunate that we got Dabo and he became the caliber of coach that he is now.

Re: A couple of guys we never would've gotten and a bunch

Jul 16, 2016, 2:31 PM

Absolutely!!! Just think, if we had hired some other HC. Dabo would have been gone from Clemson, and we most likely would be talking about we need to fire our HC....

the way I remember it, which could be completely

Jul 16, 2016, 12:49 PM

off base since we all were emotional back then, TDP talked to Gary Patterson and he told him that TCU was his family and he wasn't interested in leaving.
TDP also flew into Norman, and everybody thought he was talking to Brent Venables. What he was actually doing was trying to see if there was anything he could throw at Bob Stoops to leave OU and come to Clemson. That did not work out.
I remember Bud Foster pretty much begging for an interview. He got one, but it didn't seem like he was seriously considered.
Most of the coaches that were free or looking for a move that year seemed to have some sort of baggage. I think a combination ended up with a Dabo hire. Plus the fact that his changes in the interim and play on the field were successful.

Re: the way I remember it, which could be completely

Jul 16, 2016, 2:34 PM

So Clemson FB and Dabo Swinney got very lucky at the same instant!!!

I believe there were some that wanted that idiot that took

Jul 16, 2016, 1:05 PM

over Tennessee and then went to USC.

Lane Kiffin

Jul 16, 2016, 2:33 PM

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Jul 16, 2016, 3:36 PM

Basically, thank goodness that not a soul on this board has any input on the hiring of coaches.

Jul 16, 2016, 4:53 PM

I think we owe a lot of credit to TDP , who I believe knew Dabo was his man . And even though some people say CTB recommended Dabo , I really don't think TDP was depending on advice from Tommy at that time .

TDP, did ask Tommy who should coach the rest of the year...

Jul 16, 2016, 4:58 PM

And he said it's gotte be Dabo.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic