Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Let's pretend that Clemson went 12-1 with a loss against
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Let's pretend that Clemson went 12-1 with a loss against

Jun 21, 2012, 8:20 PM

either SCar (a 10-2 SEC team) or VT (we'll call them 10-2 to avoid arguments). So our only loss was against a dang good team.

You'd have Bama, Clemson, Okie State and Stanford all in very similar positions. LSU would be in. All of these teams would have basically equivalent arguments. But does that mean an 8 team playoff would solve it? No, then you just have more teams who feel left out. There's no perfect system.

Of course we'd be pissed if we were left out but look at it from an Alabama perspective... It's not Bama's fault that the SEC had 2 of the best teams in football in the same conference.

In the end, I think 4 teams is great and would provide the opportunity to crown a more true champion. Most of the time, the only argument is who that 2nd team should be.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think 4 teams in is great too but I really like the money

Jun 21, 2012, 8:33 PM

the Big 12 has to offer. While you can't pinpoint where, why, and how money helps you compete consistently at a high level but to act like it doesn't would be foolish.

The ACC TV contract will hurt us greatly in the long run. so will a 9 game conference schedule.

On a side note, I hope we stop the "traditional" local games against Wofford, Furman, etc... There is no way we should keep scheduling these teams.

Re: I think 4 teams in is great too but I really like the money

Jun 21, 2012, 8:43 PM

I like the one local game. Just drop the other patsy troy, la tech, etc and schedule a good oc game. With sc and an auburn or ga, sos will be fine.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know you've raised a real tiger fan when you ask your son what he wants his cub scout pinewood derby car to be and he says a Tiger!

Jun 21, 2012, 8:45 PM [ in reply to I think 4 teams in is great too but I really like the money ]

unfortunately legally we cant stop playing the small local schools due to a state law that says we have to play one each year....

Jun 21, 2012, 8:55 PM

where do you get your info? there is no state
law that covers who we play.we don't have too
play usuc if we don't want too.the legislature
has more on their plates than scheduling fb games.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 21, 2012, 9:05 PM

acctually there was a law on the books about us playing carolina till this year, when it expired and the state decided to let it do so, and there is another that requires us to play a small local school these written back when the gov. didnt have better things to do

Jun 21, 2012, 10:18 PM

There is no law, and the only time our legislature has ever stated we must play the coots was the year before the ACC was formed when the Southern Conference forbid Sodom schools from playing Clemson and Maryland because we dared to play in a bowl game.

A few years back several SC legislators stated that they desired for Clemson and SCU to play the in-state schools instead of the Utah States and Eastern Michigans of the world since the NCAA changed the rules and you can count 1 I-AA/FCD game a year toward bowl eligibility. That way the money stayed in state.

I like the Big 12 also. But I don't believe the ACC is a

Jun 21, 2012, 9:00 PM [ in reply to I think 4 teams in is great too but I really like the money ]

death sentence with FSU and VT still around.

Re: 4 team playoff will not work. Maybe 8. SEC and ESPN

Jun 21, 2012, 10:58 PM [ in reply to I think 4 teams in is great too but I really like the money ]

will push for two. 4 team playoff should not be considered.

Re: 4 team playoff will not work. Maybe 8. SEC and ESPN

Jun 22, 2012, 7:27 AM

You do realize Mike Slive was one of the main driving forces behind getting a 4 team playoff, right?

The NCAA basketball tourney has gotten too big and bloated

Jun 21, 2012, 10:11 PM

yet teams still cry and say they were cheated. Until every school is in and the regular season is meaningless, people will complain. Even then people will complain about seeds or which regional they were put in.

Personally I think 8 is just right. Anything bigger is too big and football isn't baseball or basketball. You aren't going to have a football team get hot and go on a run like in other sports. Sure, there will be upsets sometimes, but no team ranked 10th or 12th is going to have 4 straight upsets. It's possible, but very unlikely. That's just not how football works.

Sure, people will counter by pointing out some D1-AA examples, but that is not the same level of play & talent as D1-A. And folks will point out that a few wild card teams have won the Super Bowl, but college and pro football are two totally different animals.

We're starting with 4, but I have no doubt that it will eventually get to 8.

Re 64 is too many but it will not be changed because of the

Jun 21, 2012, 10:59 PM

money.

Re: Re 64 is too many but it will not be changed because of the

Jun 24, 2012, 6:09 PM

64- 68 teams is pretty reasonable for basketball. There are about 330 teams playing division 1, so about 25% of them make the playoffs. This is far better than the 50+% of football teams that go bowling.

As far as teams that miss the basketball playoffs complaining, I have never heard of a team that was considered a contender being denied. It is typically a 13 loss MD or GT or a 12 loss Clemson with RP rank around 43 that complains. I shed no tears for 12 loss teams that go to NIT.

Heck UNC didn't make the NCAA's three years ago. :)

4 team football playoffs are a good start. the 5th place team can usually make an argument that they should be in top 4, but can't claim they should be in top 2.

We***

Jun 22, 2012, 2:24 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is what happens when your one year old won't sleep

Jun 22, 2012, 2:28 AM

and daddy decides to let the little man absorb Tigernet via osmosis. You read a post, decide to comment, hit reply, punch a couple of letters, then BAMMMMM baby hits the enter button.

Life is good.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's all BS.If they wanted to be fair,you play the bowls

Jun 22, 2012, 4:57 AM

then a +1 between the #1 and #2 teams.This is all a front to get 2 sec teams in no matter what.Why don't we just rank the top 14 with all sec schools,then from 15 on will be everybody else?Pathetic,I'm sick of the sec.

Re: Re: 4 team playoff will not work. Maybe 8. SEC and ESPN***

Jun 22, 2012, 8:29 AM

Re: Re: 4 team playoff will not work. Maybe 8. SEC and ESPN***

Jun 22, 2012, 8:55 AM

The way I look at the playoffs is that we might have a chance to sneak in there as team #4

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

how many times has an NFL team with the best

Jun 22, 2012, 9:35 AM

or 2nd best record not one the Super Bowl? A lot.

If there are 8 teams with a shot insted of 2, how is it that "you just have more teams who feel left out?" That doesn't make sense.

You're right, there's no perfect system. But giving 8 teams a shot is a lot better than 2.

Yes there IS a perfect system. You need at least 12 teams.

Jun 22, 2012, 10:13 AM

One for each conference and one at large to account for the independents. I would advocate 16 teams to allow for five at large bids.

Why does this work? For the same reason the NCAA tourney works. Sure, teams on the bubble complain about not getting in, but that doesn't change the fact that every team in Division 1 had a chance to play for the national championship on day 1. If Central Connecticut State wins the Northeast Conference, they are in the tourney. If they win all the games in the tourney, they are national champions.

The problem with four teams is this: If there are five undefeated teams, one team did everything they could and will be told that they can't play for a title because some people don't think they're as good as the others.

If every conference champion can get in, then every team in America (in D-1A) has an avenue to become champion. Then they settle it on the field. If you think your team was good enough for an at-large bid, will you complain? Certainly. But did you have a clear path to the playoffs? Yes you did. Your team didn't get it done during the regular season (didn't win your conference), so you weren't guaranteed a spot.

null

4 team playoff is a crock

Jun 24, 2012, 5:34 PM

This playoff talk is pure crap. 4 teams..when there are over 120 teams playing at the Div 1A (FBS) level. Are you kidding me? The NCAA does not officially recognize a national champion because even they know the process to crown one has been more about money and perception than a true champion. DIV 1AA and below take at least 16 teams (most is 32 by DIV II) but all we hear is how much time away from school it would take. Funny that is not an argument in expanding the bball tourney.
There will always be a team that feels it should've been in the playoffs, happens in high school and pro's too. All conference champs should be in the playoffs period. But that would only mean 11 teams at this moment. So take those 11 teams and either 5 at large teams to have 16 teams or 21 at large berths to get to 32 and call it done.
Yes for now a 4 team playoff is better than the BCS crap we have dealt with but needs and should expand to a true playoff of all the conference champs.

scu won't be 10-2 this coming season, their schedule is...

Jun 24, 2012, 5:35 PM

way too hard for them. They will fall off and fall off hard.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic