Topic: Leggett article from NY Daily News - hope he makes it
Replies: 4   Last Post: Jun 13, 2018 12:37 PM by: gville76
[ Tiger Boards - Football ]
Start New Topic
Replies: 4  

Leggett article from NY Daily News - hope he makes it

[11]
Posted: Jun 13, 2018 8:50 AM

Jordan Leggett wants desperately to move on from his nightmare rookie season, to prove he’s not an injury-prone draft bust and claim the Jets’ open starting tight end job and never look back.
First, though, the 2017 fifth-round pick must stay on the field.

Leggett didn’t play a single regular-season snap for the Jets last year after injuring his right knee in the team’s final preseason game on Aug. 31. There were moments in September and October when Leggett thought he could return, dreaming of a true NFL debut, but setbacks ultimately derailed those aspirations. Leggett was placed on injured reserve on Halloween and underwent surgery in early November. It was a lost season.

“My rookie year, I want to come into the NFL and I want to play,” Leggett said last week. “But it didn’t happen like that last year.”

Now Leggett enters the most important spring and summer of his career. Mandatory minicamp starts Tuesday in Florham Park, and Leggett says he is somewhere between 90% and 100% healthy. General manager Mike Maccagnan allowed tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins — the Jets’ third-leading pass-catcher last season — to walk in free agency. The team didn’t sign another tight end to replace Seferian-Jenkins. Instead, they drafted one in the fourth round, Chris Herndon out of Miami, who was charged with DWI in New Jersey earlier this month.

That Maccagnan didn’t acquire a veteran tight end in free agency says a lot about what the Jets are expecting out of Leggett this season.

Jordan Leggett (left) has an opportunity to make his early NFL nightmare a thing of the past. (Seth Wenig / AP)

“I felt like they had some confidence in the tight end room,” Leggett said, “about the guys that were still in there after Austin left.”
The road back to this point, though, was arduous and frustrating for Leggett, who was forced to deal with months of injury uncertainty early last season.
Late in the third quarter of that Aug. 31 preseason contest against the Eagles, Leggett lined up on the left edge of the offensive line and broke into the flat when the ball was snapped.
Christian Hackenberg delivered a quick strike to Leggett, who caught the pass, turned upfield and rumbled for a first down. But as the 6-6 tight end tried to run out of bounds, linebacker Don Cherry dragged him down from behind. Leggett’s right knee got caught underneath him as he fell to the turf. And thus began a three-month ordeal for the former Clemson star.
Leggett sat out of practices and games for the first four weeks of the regular season. He was then active for the Jets’ win at the Browns on Oct. 8, but didn’t play a snap on offense or special teams.
He returned to being inactive for a home loss to the Patriots the following Sunday. That next week, Leggett came back to practice but aggravated his injury. Todd Bowles reported that Leggett’s knee swelled up. “It just reacted,” the coach said then. Ten days later, Leggett’s season was officially over.
Leggett said the knee injury developed into a cartilage issue. Renowned orthopedist Dr. James Andrews performed the surgery, which Leggett described as “just a cleaning out of my knee.” He also received a stem-cell shot. Leggett was adamant that nothing was torn.
“It was hard,” Leggett said. “Just having an injury, saying I’m going to be good in two weeks or so, and then something else small happens. It put me out for the whole year, so it kind of sucked.”

Jordan Leggett. (Jeff Bachner / for New York Daily News)

This spring, Leggett wore a brace on his right knee during the three weeks of OTAs, something he said he will “probably” continue to do moving forward.

“They told me I don’t need it, but just for me and my mental state, I feel safer in it, and it doesn’t hold me back much,” Leggett said. “It’s just a matter of getting used to it and doing everything I did out of the brace in the brace.”

In OTAs, Leggett flashed the pass-catching prowess that made him such an intriguing prospect in 2017. On May 29, he hauled in a long completion over the middle from Teddy Bridgewater, finding a weak spot in the defense. But Bowles needs to see the big tight end make plays in pads before he’s ready to offer superlatives.

“I mess with him all the time,” Bowles said of Leggett. “He catches a bunch of touchdowns in shorts and t-shirts, which is great, but when the pads come on, he just has to stay healthy. It’s good to see him running around healthy.”

Added Bowles: “The test will come in pads. In shorts and t-shirts, I think everybody can catch balls.”

Leggett will have to wait until training camp to put the pads on and show Bowles he’s capable of staying healthy.

He’s ready for that chance.

“There’s a starting job out there,” Leggett said, “so we’re all just out there fighting for it.”

2018 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg

Re: Leggett article from NY Daily News - hope he makes it

[3]
Posted: Jun 13, 2018 9:17 AM

Here's hoping that Leggett can make a complete recovery and have a nice NFL career.
He played a huge part in our winning the natty. That catch down inside the 10 yard line on the
final drive was a thing of beauty.

Posted: Jun 13, 2018 10:05 AM

There were 3 NCG catches on the last drive DW4 orchestrated, and all 3 were of beauty!!!

2018 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg

Posted: Jun 13, 2018 9:59 AM

Leggett is an NFL type TE, and I do believe he will make it in the NFL even if it's not with the Jets!!! GL J Leggett!!!

2018 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg

He was known as Lazy Leggett his first couple years at CU

Posted: Jun 13, 2018 12:36 PM

The switch obviously flipped for him - he was a force in the open field after he caught the ball. Probably my favorite TE in the modern era.

What confuses me is why we now recruit and target 6'2 TE's.

I think a good TE should be 6'4 plus. Creates more mismatches against linebackers

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Replies: 4  
Clemson Gear
Clemson Gear
[ Tiger Boards - Football ]
Start New Topic
1700 people have read this post