Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Lack of experience being overlooked here folks...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Lack of experience being overlooked here folks...

Nov 27, 2012, 12:37 PM

Not a flame...

We keep losing the big games against quality opponents - and I think the lack of experience on our coaching staff plays the biggest role of all. Morris is in his SECOND YEAR as a college OC. Dabo is only in his fifth year of coaching at a college coordinator or above position. We have one of the least experienced coaching staffs in America.

When the heat is on in these close games, they do not have the history or experience to tap in to in an effort to correct things. Not a flame - but this is our biggest issue and I do not know how to correct it. Dabo could use an assistant HC/mentor to teach him how to win these big games - he has no history or experience in doing it on his own.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i think that was to be mccorvey's role as mentor.***

Nov 27, 2012, 12:41 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: i think that was to be mccorvey's role as mentor.***

Nov 27, 2012, 12:43 PM

"He is my national security advisor," said Swinney. "My experience with him dates to my days as a player at Alabama when he was my position coach. He coached at Clemson in the 1980s under Ford and knows all about our winning tradition. He has been a part of 11 conference championship teams in his impressive career."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good call - he needs top get a more active role then...

Nov 27, 2012, 12:45 PM

I feel like Dabo panicks when things get tough and that filters down to his team and coaches. We need calm and reason on the sidelines in these games - not chest bumps and halftime rants.

"Panicks"....You got any examples of that?***

Nov 27, 2012, 12:46 PM

WVU, FSU and SCAR this year...

Nov 27, 2012, 12:47 PM

Team looks lost - expecially later in games. Dabo running around on sidelines.

ok, the final 'blame' falls on dabo. won't argue, but i

Nov 27, 2012, 12:56 PM

think the panic in games this year has been morris'. he's tajh's qb coach. the biggest take away from the game for me was the O talking about no rhythm. it's not always going to be perfect, but you have to take what they are giving you, not force your frustration on them by throwing into the teeth of their D. the second interception was panic, trying to make something happen down the field and should have never been thrown. reminded me of a 2011 tajh made up his mind before hand where he was going toss. the backside safety saw it unfold from the beginning and spied it perfectly.

morris got pass happy last year, he admitted it. he went away from the run twice when stressed this year. we lost both.

Is it possible that Dabo inserts himself into gameplanning

Nov 27, 2012, 1:00 PM

for these big games? We have played them all the same way - even with mutiple OCs and DCs under him. I feel like he "forces leadership" to make up for Bowden's lack of leadership. He got lots of praise when he started here for that. I really feel like Dabo jumps in for these big games and that is the problem. No way to know or prove it though...

no.***

Nov 27, 2012, 1:01 PM

i believe part of enticing these 2 guys to come half way

Nov 27, 2012, 1:07 PM [ in reply to Is it possible that Dabo inserts himself into gameplanning ]

across the country was complete autonomy and an opportunity to showcase their abilities to move on to their own gig. you don't uproot your family for anything less.

dabo hired these two guys because of philosophy and personality. i think both would tell him to go screw if he 'meddled' or broke his promise of autonomy.

dabo has no ego imo. people will jump on this, but you don't bring in those 2 dynamic personalities if you do.

there is no doubt in my mind who owns the O and D.

LOL. "Dabo running around on the sidelines"...

Nov 27, 2012, 1:04 PM [ in reply to WVU, FSU and SCAR this year... ]

That's hilarious.

but SC had a RS Fr QB and a true So DE who beat us***

Nov 27, 2012, 12:42 PM

Did you read my post? Coaching inexperience - not players***

Nov 27, 2012, 12:44 PM

they had a true freshman de, a nobody qb and a nobody

Nov 27, 2012, 12:46 PM [ in reply to but SC had a RS Fr QB and a true So DE who beat us*** ]

rb who won 11 games for the first time in the program's history.

the ball sack can coach no matter how big a ###### he may be and it's not just swinney he's beating.

Re: they had a true freshman de, a nobody qb and a nobody

Nov 27, 2012, 12:54 PM

stop talking sense. This is strictly meltdown-net.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

tru dat.

Nov 27, 2012, 12:58 PM

;)

True. But they also had.......

Nov 27, 2012, 12:54 PM [ in reply to but SC had a RS Fr QB and a true So DE who beat us*** ]

3 SR D-backs, 3 SR LB, 2 SR DL, 2 SR OL, 1 SR RB, and 1 SR TE. Those were the starters, the 2 deep had plenty more. Bottom line is it seems our staff played our weaknesses to their strengths (our DB to their pocket QB)and for the life of me i can't understand that. 3 down linemen got us burned every time. Not running the ball right behind a rushing Clowney isn't much better. By the way, that true So DE is a once in a generation type of player. He could have started for most SEC schools as as SO in HS.

Wrong. Here's the solution...

Nov 27, 2012, 12:44 PM

Get fresh blood in the strength and conditioning program and develop our kids so they can compete on the LOS.

Blocking, getting off blocks, and sure tackling is the name of this game.

We have the schemes and know-how; we need the strength.

uSC, for the 4th year in a row, proved this point. uSC did NOTHING for Sack's first 4 years. But when they made a concerted effort to improve the S&C - that's when the program improved.

Dabo better fix it. Getting physically whipped is not Clemson football, and it will not stand.

Hey, they have to earn their pay

Nov 27, 2012, 12:45 PM

Even if you are paid despite your experience, you have to deliver. It's not like they missed a few opportunities in this game. They were outcoached and allowed the offense to be paralyzed for THREE ENTIRE quarters. Even a former high school coach (Morris) should know enough to mix it up and try something that has worked before.

The reason the offense didn't function...

Nov 27, 2012, 12:49 PM

Line of scrimmage.

They won on the LOS, again. Four years in a row - for the exact same reason. When you can't get off their blocks and you can't block them, then they win.

That's really all that needs to be said.

I thought Morris was in his 3rd year as a college OC?

Nov 27, 2012, 12:47 PM

1 year at Tulsa, and in his 2nd year at Clemson. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like 2+1=3?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

You may be right - but still not much experience...***

Nov 27, 2012, 12:48 PM

^^^ online classes starting to pay dividends...***

Nov 27, 2012, 1:10 PM [ in reply to I thought Morris was in his 3rd year as a college OC? ]

Re: Lack of experience being overlooked here folks...

I could NOT disagree more. I wouldn't trade Dabo or Chad for anybody. They will bring us a NC in the next 1 to 3 years. The inexperience problem you refer to is with the players, not the coaches, and that will fix itself along with another couple of Top 10 recruiting classes.

Fully agreed, however,

Nov 27, 2012, 12:53 PM

The biggest eyesore in our program, and the OBVIOUS problem that's keeping us from the 'elite" level, is our strength and especially our play on the line of scrimmage.

It's not schemes, coaching know-how, or player want-to; it's functional football strength. The game has evolved in this regard, and if we want to be an elite program then we better do what we need to do to improve.

What is Brad Scott doing? doesn't he have experience?

I'm pretty sure Chad never saw a Texas high school defense

Nov 27, 2012, 12:50 PM

anywhere near as good as USC or FSU's defense. I know it's counter to his 100% full-speed all the time offense, but we should have run the ball more Saturday. Slowed the offense down, and controlled the clock much as SC did. We may not have scored as much, but our offense would have stayed on the field, and USC's defense may have actually had to break a sweat.

After the first quarter I would have slowed our offense, run the ball a lot, and eaten up as much clock as we could. USC would then adjust to that. THEN, in the 4th quarter I would open it back up.

Tajh never had time to throw the long ball Morris likes to throw. The DL's for USC were after him often and hard. We could have exploited that with the run, and that would cause them to adjust and that would at least give Tajh a few more shots down field.

But I'm not a coach and I may be totally wrong, but that's how I would have liked to see it play out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so who's the idiots that paid this "lack of experience"

Nov 27, 2012, 12:51 PM

staff to the highest paid staff in the country?

Nov 27, 2012, 12:55 PM

I disagree. Our staff has been around for quite awhile except for maybe Morris and Elliott. Elliott has been around and played at a high level long enough to not be considered "young". Jeff Scott has now played and coached at all 3 levels of football other than the NFL. I hate to say it and I'm not going to point at one but I have often wondered if it's a developmental thing with one of our coaches. We've had some bad luck on the D side in one particular area with transfers and non-qualifiers and now injury bugs. There's one coach I never hear questioned.

That brings me to my next question. Now that Venables has been here for a season does he have the power to put together his own staff of assistants or does that all run through DS?

Good point. So glad TDP is gone.***

Nov 27, 2012, 1:03 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic